NFL Network...'79 Steelers...

KJinCton

I just finished watching the NFL Networks show about the '79 Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers. This was their 4th and last super bowl team(of that era). LC Greenwood was talking about how every player on that team had only been a Steeler and had never played for any other NFL team. They were the last team to build a super bowl winner from the ground up.

The comment that he made nailed it for me. He said that it wasn't that they were experts at drafting perfect players, but that the attitude and chemistry of the team "molded" the players into winners. Many players went down to injury that year and every backup who stepped in wanted to play and wanted to excel because they craved the respect of their teammates.

Does anyone feel as though this attitude is now coming together in the halls of Flowery Branch? I think "the process" is going to take a giant leap forward this year. The attitude is going to be contagious amongst the 85 who are bustin' it to make this team. It may not be a SB year for us this year, but I have a feeling TD & Company are positioning us as a perennial contender for the title. Given this, it's only a matter of time before we hoist a Lombardi.

in 1979, you are right....

now its more of a free agent driven league

1 or 2 good moves in FA and you can come outa the gate rolling, like we did in 08 after being the worst team in the NFL the yr before ......

Hey! We were the 3rd worst team in the NFL!

I guess my point wasn't so much that we are now focused on a TD only team or a Falcon only team, but rather there is a certain attitude being cultivated...a great team chemistry that will benefit all who are on the team. It seems that we now have a team of goal oriented, hard workers, who want to be the best they can be.

I don't think we'll ever see a team again that is only made up of draft picks, but I do like that we're only selecting people who fit our system and fit the team first mindset. Great things are coming in the near future.

I just finished watching the NFL Networks show about the '79 Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers. This was their 4th and last super bowl team(of that era). LC Greenwood was talking about how every player on that team had only been a Steeler and had never played for any other NFL team. They were the last team to build a super bowl winner from the ground up.

The comment that he made nailed it for me. He said that it wasn't that they were experts at drafting perfect players, but that the attitude and chemistry of the team "molded" the players into winners. Many players went down to injury that year and every backup who stepped in wanted to play and wanted to excel because they craved the respect of their teammates.

Does anyone feel as though this attitude is now coming together in the halls of Flowery Branch? I think "the process" is going to take a giant leap forward this year. The attitude is going to be contagious amongst the 85 who are bustin' it to make this team. It may not be a SB year for us this year, but I have a feeling TD & Company are positioning us as a perennial contender for the title. Given this, it's only a matter of time before we hoist a Lombardi.

Steelers did some things differently than other teams did. For one, they scouted a lot of smaller schools. Multilple Pro Bowl and Hall of Famer MLB Jack Lambert was drafted out of Kent State. Mel Blount was a free agent signed out of Valdosta State. In 1989 the Falcons did not even look at Jesse Tuggle who also played there, one of the coaches at the school had to call the Falcons to get Tuggle a workout.

Another thing the Steelers did, was they hired coaches who were great teachers. They trained those players well to play pro football. The Steelers were one of the older NFL teams so they had been around a while.

And with an NFL draft lasting 17 and then 12 rounds and no free agency until a team released a player, teams could really integrate players into that teams way of doing things and most importantly keep those players. Kinda wish we still had that now, but times change.