Ryan Kerrigan, DE

Big Ten 2010 // Purdue MVP Profile: DE Ryan Kerrigan

by Law Buckeye on Apr 15, 2010

http://www.rivalryesq.com/2010/4/15/1423839/big-ten-2010-purdue-mvp-profile-de

610x_medium.jpg

It was October, 17th 2009. I wondered over to the 5th Avenue BW3's with a few friends to watch the seventh-ranked Buckeyes take on Purdue. I was offered tickets a few days earlier, but declined to make the trip to West Lafayette. The cost -- two tanks of gas, a hotel room in Indianapolis, and a pair of $65 tickets -- didn't justify the (perceived) benefit -- watching Ohio State coast past a 1-5 Purdue team. Plus, the Red River Shootout was on.

Less than a minute into the game, I knew something was wrong. Terrelle Pryor skated out of the pocket on a QB keeper on 2nd and 10, only to be shot out of the sky by a heat seeking missile. Ryan Kerrigan, dressed in black (apropos?), had treated Ohio State's Jim Cordle like a subway turnstile. The solo tackle forced a fumble at Ohio State's own 20 yard line. It was a sign of things to come.

Kerrigan had his way with an offensive line that cranked out 200 plus yards rushing days against Penn State, and Iowa, and found ways to neutralize defensive laureates like Adrian Clayborn. Kerrigan tied his record for total tackles (9) against the Buckeyes (5 solo), and registered a season best 3 sacks. It's one thing to sack an ordinary drop back passer. It's another thing to drag Terrelle Pryor to the turf.

As a junior, Kerrigan led the nation in forced fumbles (7), and was third in sacks (13). He was placed on the Ted Hendricks Award watch list (for the nation's most outstanding defensive end, and voted first team All Big Ten, and second team All-American. In a league stuffed with defensive line talent, Kerrigan's strength, vision, and intensity stand out. Not surprisingly, he's earned the attention of NFL front offices.

All signs point Kerrigan putting the icing on the cake in 2010. It's no stretch to say that he will be in the running for first team All-American honors. The only question now, how will he adapt to leading a defense with a solid front seven, and a skinny secondary? (Think Brandon Graham in Michigan's 2009 unit). If opponents pick on the Boilermaker's inexperience by hitting quick slants, will Kerrigan have time to get to the quarterback?

If the past is any indication, this pass rushing phenom will continue to shine.

Kerrigan is 6-4, 263LBS and runs around a 4.70-80 40 time. Currently he is rated as a 2nd round pick, although I expect he'll end up a first round pick come April next year.

This is from his player Bio...

Career: Ranks tied for fifth on Purdue career sacks list with 21.0.

2010: Team co-captain ... named to Lombardi Award (outstanding lineman) and Lott Trophy (Defensive IMPACT Player of the Year) watch lists.

2009: Received team's Pit Bull Award - Defense (exemplified and sustained tenacity and intense play) for spring practice ... named to Ted Hendricks Award watch list (nation's outstanding defensive end) ... second team All-American by Rivals.com ... honorable mention All-American by College Football Insiders and SI.com ... first team All-Big Ten by media and second team by coaches ... second team Academic All-American ... Academic All-District V and Academic All-Big Ten ... received team's Most Valuable Player Award for defense ... started all 12 games ... led nation with school-record-tying seven forced fumbles (also James Looney, 1979) ... seven forced fumbles are second-most in Big Ten history (Jonal Saint-Dic of Michigan State had eight in 2007) ... topped Big Ten and ranked third nationally with 13.0 sacks ... ranked fourth in Big Ten with 18.5 tackles for loss ... fourth on team with 66 tackles (41 solo, 25 assists) ... had two pass breakups and one fumble recovery ... had seven tackles (4 solo, 3 assists), including 2.0 tackles for loss and 1.0 sacks, vs. Notre Dame on Sept. 26 ... Bronko Nagurski and Walter Camp National Defensive Player of the Week and Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week after recording season-high nine tackles (5 solo, 4 assists), including career highs of 4.0 for loss and 3.0 sacks, forcing two fumbles and recovering one vs. Ohio State on Oct. 17 ... equaled season high of nine tackles (6 solo, 3 assists), including 2.5 for loss and 1.5 sacks, at Wisconsin on Oct. 31 ... forced two fumbles and registered 2.0 sacks at Indiana on Nov. 21.

2008: Honorable mention All-Big Ten by media ... Academic All-Big Ten and Academic All-District V ... appeared in all 12 games, including 11 starts ... ranked seventh in Big Ten in sacks (7.0) and 10th in tackles for loss (11.5) ... topped team in both categories ... shared team lead with two forced fumbles (also Frank Duong and Torri Williams) and ranked tied for 10th in Big Ten ... ranked fourth with 56 tackles (31 solo, 25 assists) ... had four pass breakups and one interception ... did not start opener vs. Northern Colorado on Sept. 6 while recovering from sprained ankle suffered during training camp ... registered 3.0 tackles for loss, including 2.0 sacks, at Ohio State on Oct. 11 ... picked off first career interception vs. Minnesota on Oct. 25 ... had career highs of 10 tackles (7 solo, 3 assists), including 3.5 for loss and 3.0 sacks, vs. Michigan on Nov. 1 ... also had a pass breakup and forced fumble in that game ... recorded eight tackles (3 solo, 5 assists) at Iowa on Nov. 15.

I loved Ryan Kerrigan last year, but he decided to come back for his senior year. He gets off the line really well, and provides a good pass rush. If he can get stronger and work on taking on blocks and defending the run at LE (he is average/above-average at this now I'd say) then he could help his stock next year. I very much like him as a prospect.

I loved Ryan Kerrigan last year, but he decided to come back for his senior year. He gets off the line really well, and provides a good pass rush. If he can get stronger and work on taking on blocks and defending the run at LE (he is average/above-average at this now I'd say) then he could help his stock next year. I very much like him as a prospect.

Yeah he's good against the run and pass. I think he'll probably bulk up to around 270lbs next year.

He seems to be under the radar at the moment.

Purdue’s pressure on QBs springs from the Hulk (Ryan Kerrigan) and Superman (Mike Neal)

STORY

18963677-6ed9-5be2-9529-2c34db66b8f1.image.jpg?_dc=1256223668

By MIKE LUCAS The Capital Times mlucas@madison.com | Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 8:20 am | (2) Comments

Ryan Kerrigan (94) and Mike Neal (92) terrorized Ohio State quarterback Terelle Pryor into one of the worst days of his career during Purdue’s stunning upset of the Boilermakers earlier this month. Kerrigan, a defensive end, leads the Big Ten with 7.5 sacks, while Neal — who benches more than 500 pounds — is regarded by coach Danny Hope as a top-line pro prospect and the program’s best defensive tackle in over a decade.

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Ryan Kerrigan and Mike Neal, homegrown players from Indiana, are prominently featured on the front cover of the Purdue University football media guide, which offers Boilermakers fans hope for better days ahead. Danny Hope, the first-year head coach, is on the cover, too.

No. 94 is Kerrigan, a 6-foot-4, 263-pound junior defensive end from Muncie, who is the pulse of the defense. He leads the Big Ten with 7.5 sacks, one more than University of Wisconsin senior O'Brien Schofield.

In the spring, Kerrigan received the team's Pit Bull Award, which goes to the player who best exemplifies tenacity and intensity. Those qualities were on display against Ohio State when Kerrigan sacked Terrelle Pryor three times and forced two fumbles.

Neal has a nickname for Kerrigan: Superman.

No. 92 is Neal, a 6-4, 302-pound senior defensive tackle from Merrillville, who is the heartbeat of the defense. He might also qualify as the mouthpiece of the Boilers, based on experience (five years in the program) and willingness to engage.

In the spring, Neal earned the team's Hammer Award, which goes to the player who consistently came up with the biggest hits. His strength is his strength. He has no peer in the weight room, benching well over 500 pounds.

Kerrigan has a nickname for Neal: Incredible Hulk.

UW quarterback Scott Tolzien, who has been sacked 10 times over the last two games, will be the target for both Kerrigan and Neal during Saturday's matchup against the Boilermakers at Camp Randall Stadium. Neal is adept at getting a push up the middle, while Kerrigan attacks from the edge.

Boiler-Up.

On pass-rushing downs, Neal said, "In the back of your mind, it's, 'OK, if I sack this quarterback, we'll have a whole bunch of momentum.' That's the fun part of getting after a quarterback. Getting there is the hard part. Once you do, once you got him, you go crazy."

During the Big Ten preseason kickoff meetings in Chicago, the 50-year-old Hope, who has taken over the Purdue program from Joe Tiller, was lavish in his praise of Neal, the Hulk.

"I was an offensive line coach at the Division I-A level for 20-something years," said Hope, who worked in that capacity under Tiller. "So I spent the majority of my time looking at the big butts of the offensive linemen in front of me and the guys they were lined up against.

"Michael Neal can be a great player, not only at his position, but in this league. I think he'll be a premier defensive tackle if he stays healthy and plays up to his potential - maybe the best that's played at Purdue since Jeff Zgonina."

That was quite the endorsement, given that Zgonina was a first-team All-Big Ten defensive tackle and the school record-holder for most tackles for loss in a season (28 in 1992). The 39-year-old Zgonina, a member of the Houston Texans, is in the midst of his 16th NFL season.

Added Hope on Neal, "He's got a good motor and he's usually in a bad mood. That's usually a good sign for a defensive tackle."

Kerrigan has the same type of motor. "Everybody that comes through Purdue as a D-end aspires to be a great one," Kerrigan has said, "because of the tradition that comes along with playing that position here."

While many would associate Purdue with passers like Drew Brees, Kyle Orton, Bob Griese and brand it the Cradle of Quarterbacks, the school is also proud of its "Den of Defensive Ends."

The list would include Rosevelt Colvin, Akin Ayodele, Anthony Spencer, Cliff Avril, Shaun Phillips, Ray Edwards, Chike Okeafor, Rob Ninkovich and Keena Turner. Alex Magee, a third-round pick of the Kansas City Chiefs, was the starter opposite Kerrigan last year.

"I roomed with Alex the last four years. We were like brothers; we did everything together," said Neal, who's now serving in that mentoring role for defensive tackle Kawaann Short, a 310-pound redshirt frosh. "Watching Alex move on to the NFL motivates me."

There has been no shortage of motivation lately for the Boilermakers, who still have their sights on a bowl game. Before the Ohio State game, Brees texted starting quarterback Joey Elliott. The message: "Go out and shock the world and have fun. I'll be watching."

Not to be outdone, Colvin, representing the D-ends, texted Kerrigan with words of encouragement after the Boilers upended the No. 7 Buckeyes in West Lafayette. "I'll guarantee you this much," Neal said in late July, 'Purdue will not lay down in a football game this year.'"

He and his teammates have kept their word.

• 2 months later...

http://lotttrophy.com/index.php/article/big_man_on_purdue_campus_ryan_kerrigan/

BIG MAN ON PURDUE CAMPUS: RYAN KERRIGAN

07 12 2010

WEST LAFAYETTE, Indiana – To be a big man on the college campus, you must be a football star or a physically large person or a highly regarded student. Once in a great while you get all three rolled into one. Meet Ryan Kerrigan of Purdue University, a 6-4, 265-pound defensive end who meets the criteria across the board. An All-American on the field after recording 13 sacks and forcing a national best 7 fumbles, he is also an Academic All-American as a math major with a 3.38 grade point average. Turns out, he’s a good guy, too. “He’s as genuine and polite a young man as I have had the privilege of being around in my coaching career,” says Purdue Coach Danny Hope.

So it’s no surprise Kerrigan is one of the 42 student-athletes on the Lott Trophy Watch List for 2010. The Lott Trophy is the prestigious national award, now in its seventh season, given to the player who has the biggest IMPACT on his team on and off the field. IMPACT stands for Integrity, Maturity, Performance, Academics, Community and Tenacity.

After his banner 2009 season when he led the Big Ten in sacks and was named Purdue’s Most Valuable Player on defense, Kerrigan rejected the opportunity to be a high NFL draft choice, opting instead for a collegiate senior year that will see him receive his degree. “He demonstrated his loyalty to his team and Purdue by returning for his senior season,” said Hope, obviously delighted to have his co-captain back for one more year. “He always puts the team before self and makes time for everyone, whether it is signing an autograph or granting an interview.” One person likely not pleased to see Kerrigan return to Purdue is Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor. In his last two games against the Buckeyes, Kerrigan has five sacks, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery. The win over Ohio State in October and a road victory at Michigan highlighted a disappointing 5-7 season for Purdue last season. Then Kerrigan broke a bone in his foot in the finale against Indiana, an injury that recurred during spring practice. But the senior from Muncie, Indiana is fully recovered and ready to go for 2010. “We had so many guys who are going to be key players for us in the fall who couldn’t practice (in the spring). It’s critical we all take care of ourselves, get our bodies well, train well this summer and get ready for the season,” said Kerrigan.

“Ryan Kerrigan is a class act all the way,” says Purdue’s Sports Information Director Tom Schott. “You only get a handful of guys like this to work with and he’s one of the best, reliable, and conscientious. He’s a dream for us.” The Boilermakers are said to be much improved for the new season. They and Kerrigan will get an early test when they open Sept. 4 against Notre Dame.

Purdue, of course, is known as a quarterback college. The Big Men on the Campus have always been Lennie Dawson, Bob Griese, Mike Phipps, Gary Danielson, Mark Hermann, Jim Everett and Drew Brees.(As well as astronaut Neil Armstrong and legendary UCLA basketball coach John Wooden). Now, Ryan Kerrigan is looking to alter that focus to the defensive line where he figures to be one of the best in the country this year.

One of those rooting for the big defensive end is Athletic Director Morgan Burke, who in March wrote to Kerrigan and said: “Your accomplishments are proof that championship experiences in athletics and academics are occurring at Purdue.”

Sounds every bit a TD pick!

Edited by Smiler11

Smiler I love seeing this, I am a huge Kerrigan fan too. I wanted him to declare last year so badly so we could pick up another steal in the 3rd or 4th round. He is an absolute TD kind of player, and if we ended up with him I would not be surprised at all. He should be able to get up to 270 pretty easily since I think he was at 263 last year. He's quick off the ball, he has a great motor and I personally think he is going to have another good season last year. He is probably going to be Purdue's best defensive player this year, and was arguably their best last year in spite of Mike Neal. I remember scouting him last year and thinking "wow, this kid flies off the ball" and hoping that he would declare. That didn't happen, but hopefully we get him this time around.

Smiler I love seeing this, I am a huge Kerrigan fan too. I wanted him to declare last year so badly so we could pick up another steal in the 3rd or 4th round. He is an absolute TD kind of player, and if we ended up with him I would not be surprised at all. He should be able to get up to 270 pretty easily since I think he was at 263 last year. He's quick off the ball, he has a great motor and I personally think he is going to have another good season last year. He is probably going to be Purdue's best defensive player this year, and was arguably their best last year in spite of Mike Neal. I remember scouting him last year and thinking "wow, this kid flies off the ball" and hoping that he would declare. That didn't happen, but hopefully we get him this time around.

He is one of my favorite players in the 2011 class. I've taken an extensive look at the DE's in this class, and apart from Quinn, I don't think there is a better pure pass rushing 4-3 end.

forced two fumbles and registered 2.0 sacks at Indiana on Nov. 21

The Big Ten Network just replayed the 2009 Pudue/Indiana game. Kerrigan played LDE, RDE, and DT in the game. The first FF was as a DE and the second one was as a DT where he blew past the offensive guard because he was so quick off the line.

If he is under the radar, I hope he stays there.

The Big Ten Network just replayed the 2009 Pudue/Indiana game. Kerrigan played LDE, RDE, and DT in the game. The first FF was as a DE and the second one was as a DT where he blew past the offensive guard because he was so quick off the line.

If he is under the radar, I hope he stays there.

Yeah me too! Hopefully he'll be there at the bottom of the 2nd.

• 4 weeks later...

6'4" 265.

Twenty sacks and 30 TFL in two years.

Team Captain.

Academic All Big Ten.

13 sacks last year despite being the only returning member of the defensive line.

Fast enough to run down Pryor in the open field.

Missed one game in three years.

If he matches his sack total from '09 in '10 he overtakes Shaun Phillips (41.5 NFL sacks in 5 years as starter) as Purdue all-time sack leader.

What's not to like?

Edited by FalcoChicquera

6'4" 265.

Team Captain.

Academic All Big Ten.

13 sacks last year despite being the only returning member of the defensive line.

If he matches his sack total from '09 in '10 he overtakes Shaun Phillips (41.5 NFL sacks in 5 years as starter) as Purdue all-time sack leader.

What's not to like?

Thinking like TD I see ;)

6'4" 265.

Team Captain.

Academic All Big Ten.

What's not to like?

Bring up solid points. TD loves consistent players

6'4" 265.

Team Captain.

Academic All Big Ten.

What's not to like?

That's a nice list, but I think you are forgetting Mike Neal when you said Kerrigan was the only returning member of the offensive line. Unless he was a transfer and only played last season for Purdue (which I don't think is the case) then Neal was a returning defensive lineman for Purdue last year. Not only that, but he was pretty highly regarded and also pretty disruptive in his own right.

That's a nice list, but I think you are forgetting Mike Neal when you said Kerrigan was the only returning member of the offensive line. Unless he was a transfer and only played last season for Purdue (which I don't think is the case) then Neal was a returning defensive lineman for Purdue last year. Not only that, but he was pretty highly regarded and also pretty disruptive in his own right.

I thought he declared? I really wanted him

Getting into my pre-season NFL Draft Watch, Ryan Kerrigan is one of the guys that came away high on my list. He's got exceptional size, but the thing that stands out to me the most is his on field awareness. He wont be a high draft pick because of a lack of top notch speed for the DE position, but he could definitely wind up as a fringe first rounder. His stats have only increased, and I'd expect them to do the same this season.

You're quite right - I read that somewhere (only returning) but of course he was.

Neal was actually a guy I really liked for the backup 3 tech we needed (that we got in Corey Peters) - he went 4.86 @ 6'3" 295lbs and was productive with good hand technique. An example of typing without thinking!

Still, Kerrigan's inarguably got the traits that the front office looks for in its draft picks.

Edited by FalcoChicquera

I thought he declared? I really wanted him

He was a senior last year. I think he got drafted by the Packers? I'm pretty sure that's right.

You're quite right - I read that somewhere (only returning) but of course he was.

Neal was actually a guy I really liked for the backup 3 tech we needed (that we got in Corey Peters) - he went 4.86 @ 6'3" 295lbs and was productive with good hand technique. An example of typing without thinking!

Still, Kerrigan's inarguably got the traits that the front office looks for in its draft picks.

It's ok I just thought I'd mention that since it occurred to me that it wasn't right. No hard feelings.

But I agree completely that Kerrigan is definitely a "TD" type of player and he would fit in perfectly here.

I would be thrilled if we got this guy. We could really keep the DEs fresh and hunting down Qbs if we could add a quality DE like Kerrigan. He & Biermann's non-stop motor, Sids speed and a rested Abe would be fun to watch......and maybe, just maybe we could go a draft without needing a DE early.