I don't get the Todd McShay/Anonymous team insiders who said Sean Weatherspoon was a "loudmouth/me-me guy"

g-dawg

I remember Todd McShay(aka "idiot") criticize Sean Weatherspoon as a loudmouth guy who acts like its all about himself - also alluded to that some teams did not like his personality.....I don't get that at all.

Sure, 'Spoon has a little bit if flair to him(white tights at combine) and he has a great personality - not a boring interview. 'Spoon is confident but I have seen no hint of arrogance, no hint of a "me player", etc. If anything, 'Spoon almost seems more humble than I thought - he won't say in interviews that he will be the starter at one of the OLB positions - he talks about how much he has to learn - calls himself "baby lion" to the "daddy lion"(Mike Peterson), etc, etc.

If McShay/other teams moved Sean Weatherspoon down their draft board for anything to do w/ his personality - then that is a boon to the Falcons - because 'Spoon's personality is a HUGE PLUS to the Falcons.

I think we will all look back 3-4 years from now and think "How did Sean Weatherspoon last all the way to pick #19?"......I'm not saying he's "Ray Lewis" but I think 'Spoon's ceiling is very high and he has "pro-bowl" ability.....

Edited by g-dawg

I remember Todd McShay(aka "idiot") criticize Sean Weatherspoon as a loudmouth guy who acts like its all about himself - also alluded to that some teams did not like his personality.....I don't get that at all.

Sure, 'Spoon has a little bit if flair to him(white tights at combine) and he has a great personality - not a boring interview. 'Spoon is confident but I have seen no hint of arrogance, no hint of a "me player", etc. If anything, 'Spoon almost seems more humble than I thought - he won't say in interviews that he will be the starter at one of the OLB positions - he talks about how much he has to learn - calls himself "baby lion" to the "daddy lion"(Mike Peterson), etc, etc.

If McShay/other teams moved Sean Weatherspoon down their draft board for anything to do w/ his personality - then that is a boon to the Falcons - because 'Spoon's personality is a HUGE PLUS to the Falcons.

I think we will all look back 3-4 years from now and think "How did Sean Weatherspoon last all the way to pick #19?"......I'm not saying he's "Ray Lewis" but I think 'Spoon's ceiling is very high and he has "pro-bowl" ability.....

I agree 100%.

You need a vocal presence and swagger if you want a top defense.

Too many people jump the gun and turn confidence into cockiness!

We don't need quiet, conservative guys on defense. We need some sh*t talking on the field.

Thanks for the post!

I agree - Spoon has come across as nothing but humble.

Also, I appreciate Daddy Lion giving Baby Lion his full support and the benefit of his knowledge. He doesn't have to do that. Farve didn't help Rogers with jack and said it wasn't his responsibility to help train Rogers. Peterson is helping Spoon in every way possible, even though Spoon is his replacement at some point. Gotta give him credit for that.

Also, I appreciate Daddy Lion giving Baby Lion his full support and the benefit of his knowledge. He doesn't have to do that. Farve didn't help Rogers with jack and said it wasn't his responsibility to help train Rogers. Peterson is helping Spoon in every way possible, even though Spoon is his replacement at some point. Gotta give him credit for that.

agreed.....Peterson is also "smart" to do that as well for himself. He might squeeze out an extra year on his career with Falcons by being a good mentor. Surly vets get the boot quicker.

I agree 100%.

You need a vocal presence and swagger if you want a top defense.

Too many people jump the gun and turn confidence into cockiness!

We don't need quiet, conservative guys on defense. We need some sh*t talking on the field.

Thanks for the post!

well-said Beezy....nothing to add to your statement. B)

Agreed.

Anyone who has a career as a "draft expert" is a tool by nature. Just my opinion but being a draft expert is a worthless job, rarely do the players go in the order that is expected and many times those same experts are wrong about players skill/personality. I'd personally rather hear from the guys that cover college football as announcers or reporters.

I think it's that ol High School mentality when you may have a new kid come in to the school, a freshmen no less, with a lot of swagger and attitude. Instantly he gets a lot of attention, especially from the ladies. The "Big men on campus" want to kick his a#$ and put him in his rightful place because their status on campus is threatened.

I think the same dynamic goes in on the locker room. Some vets haven't accepted him as part of the inner circle. Some feel threaten by all the media & fan attention he's receiving about his personality. Once he proves himself on the field, he would be alright with them.

To be fair to McShay, I'm pretty sure he was quoting folks rather than giving his own opinion.

I thought it was a GM with a late round first pick hoping he'd drop.

Think the falcons got themselves a great player.

falconidae,

I think your 1/2 right. My recollection of McShay's opinion(which I do not value) is that he "heard stuff" from some scout/GM "types" and then basically adopted those opinions as his own. McShay also ranked 'Spoon as a 2nd rounder - not sure if any of that had to do with his perceived over-abundant personality.

I don't know where McShay gets his info,but the commentators I've heard from Dukes to Shefter to the guys on ESPN on draft day, even Kiper, who I don't particularly care for, said he's a talker and very vocal on the field, which is important at that position, so I don't know where this negative stuff comes from.

Well you really don't have any clue how he really is when he is in his comfort zone. Its alot different being at the Senior Bowl with a ton of guys your age there and you being one of the best prospects out there than being at mini camp with some real pro's who are better and older than you.

Its not like he is going to ccarry that attitude to mini camp. I don't really care what McCshay said. That was just his opinion that Spoon is a loudmouth. I did not realize he said he was a "Me-me guy". Do you have a link?

Its not like he is going to ccarry that attitude to mini camp. I don't really care what McCshay said. That was just his opinion that Spoon is a loudmouth. I did not realize he said he was a "Me-me guy". Do you have a link?

that may be a "stretch" when I said "me-me" - probably should have used other words there. I was just paraphrasing what I remembered Todd McShay saying and "me-me" was not really part of what McShay said - basically McShay said that 'Spoon was a loadmouth and talks too much - he felt 'Spoon would pizz-off a lockerroom with by shooting his mouth off - something to that effect.......did not mean to intimate that 'Spoon was selfish - don't think McGay said that.

Is he a "me-me" kind of guy? Not that I have seen, or heard, not at all. So far he has been very upbeat and for the team as a whole. Heck, he even positively made it known how he wished some of the veteran defensive players were at camp so they could work together. And as for a loudmouth? Yes, but in a certain way. Not a bad way either. He's a loudmouth in the way that he's very vocal, he's definitely going to make his presence known and try to be a leader on defense.