Peter King's early power rankings.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/05/16/ranking/1.html

5. New Orleans. The Saints face a daunting task: Only four times in the last 20 seasons has a team repeated as Super Bowl champ (San Francisco in 1990, Dallas in 1994, Denver in 1999 and New England in 2005). The Saints will surely score enough to win again. The question is whether defensive coordinator Gregg Williams can tread water in 2010, because I think that's all he's going to have to do. New Orleans doesn't have to be in the top 10 in defense -- the Bills allowed 15 fewer points last year, the 49ers 60 -- but Williams, again, will have to find a way to get pressure with middling front-seven talent and make sure the Saints don't have to score in the 30s every week to win.

8. Carolina. Dangerous team. Very deceiving 8-8 record last year. While everyone tiptoed around it because everyone in the Carolinas loves Jake Delhomme, something awful happened to him in the last year and a half, and he just couldn't play quarterback for this team anymore. Check out what Matt Moore did in his last three starts: three wins, 66-percent accuracy, seven touchdowns, zero picks, and the Panthers outscored three foes 90-26. (Asterisk on the third, New Orleans, because the Saints played the JV that day.) This will be John Fox's last year with the Panthers -- the owner, Jerry Richardson, doesn't want to be in the business of laying off employees and paying a former coach $6 million a year in this economy -- and I think he'll say full speed ahead, **** the torpedoes, forget next year, I'm doing everything I can to win right now. And he'll win enough to make the Wild Card.

16. Atlanta. The Falcons are healthier, and better. I just think there are two teams in the division better right now -- unless Matt Ryan has a Drew Brees-type year. I don't think he has one of those in him ... yet. Not many quarterbacks do.

30. Tampa Bay. What I like about the Bucs: that the top five draft picks will get a chance to play right away, and a lot. What I don't like about the Bucs: that the top five draft picks will get a chance to play right away, and a lot

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh oh :lol:

i mean honestly

have you seen peter king and heard him talk ????

:blink:

i mean look at what he says about Falcons, a Brees type performance ???????

uhhhhhhhh last i checked Turner is the Engine that runs our O , he should have said if Turner is 100% and their D plays like it did at the end of 09 Falcons will win some Games

or

this is what i really love

8. Carolina. Dangerous team. Very deceiving 8-8 record last year.

Dude have you seen the Car Run D ???????????????

they lost their best guy on D maybe that will improve their run D huh :blink:

they did nothing to help their poorest of NFL Run D from what I See, and In the NFL if you cant stop the Run you are gonna Lose Early and Often.....

IMO Panthers will be pretty bad this yr... because of that very Fact, you can get by having a shakey pass D, if you cant stop the run you are in biggggggg trouble in this League....

and Saints @ 5

man untill they lose a game as much as i hate it , they have to be #1 here in May,

Dudes an Idiot

hes way off on alot of them...i think carolinas going to be good,but 2 spots higher than the boys...cmon...falcons,saints,and even the bucs should be higher imo

saints=4-5

falcons=8-10

panthers=12-14

bucs=22-28

this is how i see it if anyone cares,because i dont get paid to do this...im just a fan that thinks he has a bit of a clue about the nfl and the teams

Green Bay #1?? It's seems like every year they are suppose to be the team and every year they never are.

yea man, i think GB is overrated

what happened to their D in that crazy playoff game ????

i mean yea they have a good qb, good wr.... but man, dont they play in the div with Min and Chi ?

i think Chi will be a better ball team in 2010, yea GB #1 is pretty Retarted at this point....

he77 they havent even wipped the finger prints off the trophy in New Orleans yet and you got a team @ #1 who gave up 40+ points in their last game ???????

:huh:

GB had one of the top defenses, a good wr corp, a decent Oline once they got their act together in the 2nd half of the season. Rodgers is quickly proving himself to be one of the best Qbs in the league. I can understand why some people believe they'll do great things this year.

Saints, I'd keep them in the top 5. They are the SB champions. things don't always go well for defending SB champions though. Add in the Madden Curse that Brees will be enduring. He fixed a downright horrible Saints team when he signed with them, maybe he can break the Madden curse as well.

Panthers, not a bad spot. They're a young team, a lot of the youngsters though already have experience on the field and have showed signs of brilliance at times. Average qb play is all they need in order to be a contender. Dwill, that Oline and Stewart will do the rest. With Moore and Clausen, there's a great chance one will be the average qb needed. Average Qbs can look good if they're being carried by a run game. (See Ryan in '08)

Falcons, I can understand their spot in the rankings. The quality of their Rbs after Turner is brutally low. Their defense is even more unproven than the Panthers going into this year. Ryan is also a major question mark for them. An 80 Qb rating is really low for a kid that was "supposed" to set the league ablaze in '09. How are you going to add the best TE of all time, and do even worse than you did your rookie year?

GB had one of the top defenses, a good wr corp, a decent Oline once they got their act together in the 2nd half of the season. Rodgers is quickly proving himself to be one of the best Qbs in the league. I can understand why some people believe they'll do great things this year.

Saints, I'd keep them in the top 5. They are the SB champions. things don't always go well for defending SB champions though. Add in the Madden Curse that Brees will be enduring. He fixed a downright horrible Saints team when he signed with them, maybe he can break the Madden curse as well.

Panthers, not a bad spot. They're a young team, a lot of the youngsters though already have experience on the field and have showed signs of brilliance at times. Average qb play is all they need in order to be a contender. Dwill, that Oline and Stewart will do the rest. With Moore and Clausen, there's a great chance one will be the average qb needed. Average Qbs can look good if they're being carried by a run game. (See Ryan in '08)

Falcons, I can understand their spot in the rankings. The quality of their Rbs after Turner is brutally low. Their defense is even more unproven than the Panthers going into this year. Ryan is also a major question mark for them. An 80 Qb rating is really low for a kid that was "supposed" to set the league ablaze in '09. How are you going to add the best TE of all time, and do even worse than you did your rookie year?

dude do you even watch Football ?????

GB had one of the top defenses,

uhh where was it when Ari made them look like a girls swim team ??????

Saints, I'd keep them in the top 5. They are the SB champions.

nuff said , its may , they have the ring, thats good enough for #1

Panthers, not a bad spot. They're a young team, a lot of the youngsters though already have experience on the field and have showed signs of brilliance at times. Average qb play is all they need in order to be a contender.

uhhh no lol

they couldnt stop me from gaining 150 yds a game on the ground str8 up the gut, a NFL run D that poor = abot 3 wins total...

Falcons, I can understand their spot in the rankings. The quality of their Rbs after Turner is brutally low.:blink:

Sneeling could start on 20 other teams in the NFL , and Norwood in his Career aves about 5 yds a touch.

I Know you are new here dude, but this aint rocket science man.....

quality of our backs below Turner is brutally low...Snelling is a solid back in every facet of the game, and Norwood is a good change of pace

and if you call 'doing even worse' for Ryan as 22 TD's in 14 games, then I would love to see what "doing even worse" this season would be

having Carolina above us who has a very unproven QB, 1 WR, a decimated defense, and a lame duck head coach is a little looney

dude do you even watch Football ?????

GB had one of the top defenses,

uhh where was it when Ari made them look like a girls swim team ??????

Saints, I'd keep them in the top 5. They are the SB champions.

nuff said , its may , they have the ring, thats good enough for #1

Panthers, not a bad spot. They're a young team, a lot of the youngsters though already have experience on the field and have showed signs of brilliance at times. Average qb play is all they need in order to be a contender.

uhhh no lol

they couldnt stop me from gaining 150 yds a game on the ground str8 up the gut, a NFL run D that poor = abot 3 wins total...

Falcons, I can understand their spot in the rankings. The quality of their Rbs after Turner is brutally low.:blink:

Sneeling could start on 20 other teams in the NFL , and Norwood in his Career aves about 5 yds a touch.

I Know you are new here dude, but this aint rocket science man.....

Yeah.. Norwood is as durable as a wet paper bag. Snelling, the jury is still out. We all know, if Turner goes down again, the Falcons run game goes from stud to dud. As it did last year with its meager 15th ranking. If I were a Falcon fan I'd be more worried about the further regression of Matt Ryan. If he plays any worse in '10, the Falcons will fire Mike Smith in a veiled attempt to get around the fact that they drafted Ryan way too high.

:lol: So....... the Packers don't have one of the top defenses in the league? Why I'm arguing this with you is beyond me, you're under the impression that the Falcons have one of the best defenses in the league.

quality of our backs below Turner is brutally low...Snelling is a solid back in every facet of the game, and Norwood is a good change of pace

and if you call 'doing even worse' for Ryan as 22 TD's in 14 games, then I would love to see what "doing even worse" this season would be

having Carolina above us who has a very unproven QB, 1 WR, a decimated defense, and a lame duck head coach is a little looney

If the quality was good, there wouldn't have been such a huge drop off in the Falcons run game between the '08 season and the '09 season. '08, Turner was the man, '09, the worst happened and he was injured, the backups couldn't produce on a regular basis anywhere near the level of Turner.

Being a run first team like the Falcons are, they have to have a dependable run game no matter what.

A run first team has to have a stellar run game and an average qb. Last year the Falcons had the average qb but their run game faltered. Last year the Panthers had a stellar run game but their normally average qb dropped from being average to being the worst in the league. Both teams failed. We just learned that having the worst qb in the league is worth 1 less win than a team that has an average run game.

you're under the impression that the Falcons have one of the best defenses in the league.

am I ??????

what are you a mind reader ????

point out to me where i have said that....

GB aint all that man....

they are not even the Best Team in their Div dude.....

and as far as Panthers,

who did they add to help their JV Run D

no1

not only that they lost their best D Lineman

why on earth should any1 think Panthers can all of a sudden stop the Run in 2010 esp losing their best player on D ????

because you added a 3rd round QB :lol::lol::lol:

This Time next yr Panthers will be in here talking about how great their new coach is ... watch

Panthers

5-11 ball club tops atm

A run first team has to have a stellar run game and an average qb. Last year the Falcons had the average qb but their run game faltered. Last year the Panthers had a stellar run game but their normally average qb dropped from being average to being the worst in the league. Both teams failed. We just learned that having the worst qb in the league is worth 1 less win than a team that has an average run game.

The truth is brutal sometimes.

the fact remains that the Falcons did finish one game higher than the panthers and they had injuries at QB and RB. At worst the two teams should be ranked very closely IMO

Peter King's reasoning for having the Falcons so far down is also stupid. He says it is because there are two better teams in the division. So what? the rankings are supposed to be about where they stack up against the rest of the NFL, not just the teams in their own division

the fact remains that the Falcons did finish one game higher than the panthers and they had injuries at QB and RB. At worst the two teams should be ranked very closely IMO

Peter King's reasoning for having the Falcons so far down is also stupid. He says it is because there are two better teams in the division. So what? the rankings are supposed to be about where they stack up against the rest of the NFL, not just the teams in their own division

Its a fact... King is a Panthers homer. He always overrates the Panthers. Year in and year out.

And I'm a Panthers fan.

Its a fact... King is a Panthers homer. He always overrates the Panthers. Year in and year out.

And I'm a Panthers fan.

obviously I think the Saints should win the division again. the only way we could have a worse injury situation than last year would be if Brees went down.

I just don't see how anybody could not look at Atlanta and Carolina and not see them going neck and neck. More than likely one gets a wildcard and the other just misses it

obviously I think the Saints should win the division again. the only way we could have a worse injury situation than last year would be if Brees went down.

I just don't see how anybody could not look at Atlanta and Carolina and not see them going neck and neck. More than likely one gets a wildcard and the other just misses it

Why, our horrid 8th overall D that forced the 4th most fumbles and picked the 5th most passes in the league, that's how. Seriously someone needs to explain to certain parties here what a Tampa 2 is and the role run defense plays.

See what makes me lol about Falcons fans calling for an easy 12+ wins is the implication that they expect a quantum leap out of Matty Ice, Turner to stay healthy, their defense to step it up, etc out of necessity. Hope in one hand and **** in the other pals.

Edited by Michael K

Why, our horrid 8th overall D that forced the 4th most fumbles and picked the 5th most passes in the league, that's how. Seriously someone needs to explain to certain parties here what a Tampa 2 is and the role run defense plays.

See what makes me lol about Falcons fans calling for an easy 12+ wins is the implication that they expect a quantum leap out of Matty Ice, Turner to stay healthy, their defense to step it up, etc out of necessity. Hope in one hand and **** in the other pals.

they got 9 wins with their starting QB and RB out much of the year. Why would I assume they are going to go backwards with them in? even if they don't get any better at all, they are still going to be in the 9-7 range so unless you see the Panthers unseating the Saints this year, the Falcons and Panthers will be close