Article on Chevis......Kinda late tho

hawkeye

Jackson ended last season with 15 games played, but did not record an interception. He predominately assumed the nickel cornerback role, a role the team may be reconsidering.

Known as a shutdown corner during his college career at LSU, the Falcons put Jackson at the outside corner positions during the team's three-day minicamp this past weekend. The results are early, but positive. Jackson recorded an interception and played at a high level all weekend.

The performance didn't go unnoticed and Jackson may be beginning a new introduction process to the coaching staff.

“Chevis, I think in Year Three, is a lot more comfortable," Head Coach Mike Smith said on Sunday. "I thought he got more snaps at the corner position this camp than he has in previous years. He’s basically been exclusively our nickel back, but he got some good snaps in camp at the corner position."

Jackson spent the offseason with teammates Owens and Thomas DeCoud in the California-based Performance Gaines NFL Offseason Training Program. The 5'11" corner enjoyed working out with his teammates "on their side of the country" but also believes it was a success.

"It went well," said Jackson. "I lost a couple of pounds. I got a little bit fitter, a little bit more flexible. Everything the offseason is supposed to do, trying to get bigger, stronger, and faster."

Playing cornerback, however, is more than a physical game, and Jackson believes he may have lost some of the instinctual aspects of his game. He's spent this offseason studying how to regain that.

"I'm just trying to get back to where I was in college," he said. "I'm getting real comfortable with everything: being able to figure out offenses, where they're trying to go with the ball and get good reads on plays."

If Jackson can return to his rookie form, what was once a glaring weakness could quickly become a deep strength for the Falcons. With Robinson leading the way and the maturing youth, physical play, and athleticism of Owens, Grimes, Jackson, and Franks (and returning nine-year veteran Brian Williams) the coverage position may be in good hands for years to come.

No matter what happens Jackson wants fans and the coaches to remember him.

"I'm hungry," he said. "I'm trying to get better every day. I'm working hard; working on my craft, technique, and trying to learn the game better. Hopefully I'll earn a spot and hopefully I'll have a better year."

http://www.examiner.com/x-1778-Atlanta-Falcons-Examiner~y2010m5d9-chevis-jackson

anybody kno what his 40 time was coming out of lsu???he just seems to fit the nickel spot more than anything.

Upon graduating from LSU in 2007, Jackson entered the 2008 NFL Draft. Jackson was then invited to the NFL Combine. Jackson's vertical jump was 6th best for cornerbacks at the Combine, his broad jump was 8th best, and his 3 cone drill time was 7th best.[1]

Jackson then worked out at LSU's Pro Day, where he recorded a notable 40-inch vertical jump, which was one of the best out of any prospect at their pro day.[2]

Pre-draft measureables

Wt 40 yd 20 ss 3-cone Vert BP Broad Jump

*192 lb *4.12s *4.11 *6.96 41" *14 *10'05"

(* represents NFL Combine)

I think he ran a 4.5 something, but his other numbers were real good.

It was 4.52. I like what Mike Mayock says about him in this video.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/media_library/Videos/NFL_Network/2008/04/NFL_Network_-_Chevis_Jackson_Selection_-_4-27-08.aspx

Edited by hawkeye

IDK what to think about Chevis. Last year was his shot to really shine yet he was basically absent. He really dissapeared last year after having a decent rookie year and I've heard some things about his work ethic not being the greatest.

I like this in our guys all of them are at the very least saying the right things "trying to get better" I think chevis going with them cali boys was a great for the team. Seems from the story too that chevis is working on being more comfortable. Hopefully he can settle down and play comfortable and confident

That's the thing you want from a CB especially. I had in another thread about how Deion said Franks played more

on not giving up the big play versus trying to make plays. Maybe like Franks it was more mental with him last year.

i really think if Jackson, Owens, Grimes and Franks come out balling we trade one.

Grimes is on his last year and Owens will prolly be extended soon if he continues to play well. you cant keep a good corner on 300K a year paychecks.

I hope we wouldnt trade Grimes, but he makes the most sense value wise. I think this year he will have the best numbers of all the backs if he gets the starting role.

To be totally honest, I wouldn't put too much stock into this. They throw the players into just about any position in minicamp, to at least cross train them a little bit. If he gets serious time in TC at CB, then I will be impressed. As of yet, it's pretty meaningless.

To be totally honest, I wouldn't put too much stock into this. They throw the players into just about any position in minicamp, to at least cross train them a little bit. If he gets serious time in TC at CB, then I will be impressed. As of yet, it's pretty meaningless.

I would think that after 2yrs he would've already been crossed trained. What I see is it's just open comp for

everybody. And whoever plays the best wins the job. I doubt it's about cross training Chevis at this point.

I would think that after 2yrs he would've already been crossed trained. What I see is it's just open comp for

everybody. And whoever plays the best wins the job. I doubt it's about cross training Chevis at this point.

Just because he has cross trained doesn't mean he has been particularly good at the spot. Considering the number of new CB's, Chevis will need to be backup for both spots to stay on the roster. We won't carry 4 NBs or anything crazy like that.