If Jerry is not ready when the season starts

hawkeye

Do we try to make a move for Dorsey or just go with Peters?

Chiefs | Glenn Dorsey not a nose tackle?

Comment (0)

Tue, 18 May 2010 07:43:19 -0400

The Kansas City Chiefs' idea of turning DL Glenn Dorsey into a nose tackle is a bad one, according to Kent Babb, of The Kansas City Star, via Twitter. Dorsey does not have the size to play the nose tackle slot after he was told to lose a lot of weight last year. The switch to nose tackle would be Dorsey's third position change in three years. A move to nose tackle would also mean that Dorsey is lost in the defensive scheme.

Do we try to make a move for Dorsey or just go with Peters?

Chiefs | Glenn Dorsey not a nose tackle?

Comment (0)

Tue, 18 May 2010 07:43:19 -0400

The Kansas City Chiefs' idea of turning DL Glenn Dorsey into a nose tackle is a bad one, according to Kent Babb, of The Kansas City Star, via Twitter. Dorsey does not have the size to play the nose tackle slot after he was told to lose a lot of weight last year. The switch to nose tackle would be Dorsey's third position change in three years. A move to nose tackle would also mean that Dorsey is lost in the defensive scheme.

I would think we would be standing by for 1 rather lenghthy "I told you so thread" by a

poster who shall not be named ;, With annual bumps proclaiming it the "greatest thread ever"

Sorry couldn't resist :P

Edited by vabchbirdlover

when, oh when, oh when, will this board FINALLY get over dorsey???

I know what you mean b/c that's how I felt about Peppers and Henderson. But I like to look ahead and at least

have some options available, b/c I have the feeling Jerry won't be ready. If not maybe Peters can step up but

I would rather have a lil more experience in there. And at one time they were gonna trade for Dorsey.

I don't understand. If Jerry is not ready, you want to pursue a player that can't play his position?

I could be wrong, but if this would be his 3rd position change, then the other 2 didn't work and this just

might be the position he should be playing. I think he's at 297 but I believe he could easily gain 5-10lbs.

i kinda understand the dilemma the chiefs are in. dorsey doesnt exactly have the attributes to play a 3-4 olb. in fact if most of you dorsey proponents (i am guilty) remember, hes a hands down and bull rushing and plays nasty with low center. which also says hes a straight UT, not a edge player to fit as a DE (could be wrong lots have changed).

if the falcons are interested in dorsey, it would be most likely to play as an UT, not as a NT position that p.jerry currently sits at.

huge difference between peria and dorsey is, peria can disengage on the double teams, his size is not necessarily the reason he plays that position either, its his quickness that is earning him $$$. probably why the knee injury is really a big factor.

The title of the snippet you posted states Dorsey is not a nose tackle. I am assuming you posted that for a reason. If not, why did you post a snippet stating Dorsey is not a nose tackle?

He's not a 3-4 nose tackle. Last I checked that's not the scheme we are running here.

Even Jerry isn't a prototypical 4-3 NT. Both of our DT's need to be able to get off the ball, penetrate and get upfield to make plays in the backfield. That is what Dorsey was good at doing at LSU. He is now being asked to play in a 2-gap scheme where he has to hold up well versus regular double teams and occupy blockers to allow others to make the play, which just isn't his game.

He would fit in pretty well here in my opinion, but eventually we have to realize that we probably aren't going to end up with him. We have good DT depth as it is, but if we get Dorsey for cheap then I would have no problem bringing him in (which has been my stance all along).

The title of the snippet you posted states Dorsey is not a nose tackle. I am assuming you posted that for a reason. If not, why did you post a snippet stating Dorsey is not a nose tackle?

Its talking about the NT position in a 3-4 Defense.

The FO has said that Jerry will be ready by training camp & be 100% for the start of the season. He won't make OTA's but he should make August training camp or at worst the practices during pre-season.

This FO knows WTF they're doing. Don't you think if they thought we were going to have holes at DT they would have done something about it by now? I'm certain they would have. So the fact they haven't, means they know better than anyone here what is or isn't needed.

Vance Walker looked good at the end of last season. He was a rookie last year & started over Lewis & Johnson in the last 3 games for a reason. He's going to turn out to be exceptional depth for us at DT.

Peters played in the SEC in a pro-style 4-3 defense & faced nothing but huge 300 lb OG's & OC's for 4 straight years & lead the SEC in sacks, pressures, & tackles for loss at the DT position.

JA98 may surprise us at DT. 6'6" & 300 lbs with his strength, speed, & athleticism is most teams wet dream for a DT on paper. Maybe this is his calling. I'd rather give him a shot than disrupt the team chemistry with Henderson or take a chance on Dorsey. And apparently the people running this team agree.

I like how people on this board blindly believe that the FO can do know wrong and that every decision they make is a stroke of genius. Get real people was drafting a 25 year old injury prone undersized defensive tackle a stroke of genius? How did that work out for us last season? I get the whole building through the draft thing but name one superbowl champion team in the last 15-20 years that has won solely on drafted talent alone. For those of you that are content to watch the "process" play out don't order your SB champ t-shirts anytime soon. We need to make some moves to bring some hired guns in.

when, oh when, oh when, will this board FINALLY get over dorsey???

What is ironic is this same poster doubts JA will be around after final cut but wants Dorsey, Why not just keep JA it's about 6 in one 1/2 dozen of the other. We know JA is lacking but he at least know our system. So why cut him and try and get some one who is also lacking and doesn't know our system.. :wacko: :wacko:

Edited by falcons faithful

I like how people on this board blindly believe that the FO can do know wrong and that every decision they make is a stroke of genius. Get real people was drafting a 25 year old injury prone undersized defensive tackle a stroke of genius? How did that work out for us last season? I get the whole building through the draft thing but name one superbowl champion team in the last 15-20 years that has won solely on drafted talent alone. For those of you that are content to watch the "process" play out don't order your SB champ t-shirts anytime soon. We need to make some moves to bring some hired guns in.

Pittsburgh Steelers built almost exclusively through the draft and have won 2 superbowls this decade. Also I believe the Superbowl winning New Englad Patriots and Indianapolis Colts were built 95% through the draft. The Pats lost the Superbowl 3 years ago and had Randy Moss(but they lost). That is 6 out of the last 10 superbowl winners with virtually no impact players from free agency - at least no stars...

Please tell me Mizzle on those teams who the big "hired gun" was? do tell.... :rolleyes:

Edited by g-dawg

Pittsburgh Steelers built almost exclusively through the draft and have won 2 superbowls this decade. Also I believe the Superbowl winning New Englad Patriots and Indianapolis Colts were built 95% through the draft. The Pats lost the Superbowl 3 years ago and had Randy Moss(but they lost). That is 6 out of the last 10 superbowl winners with virtually no impact players from free agency - at least no stars...

Please tell me Mizzle on those teams who the big "hired gun" was? do tell.... :rolleyes:

Redskins......Oh wait....

I've heard it before. The Patriots built primarily through the draft. Their free agency moves were nothing more than depth.

well, okay...We would have drafted Dorsey if Ryan wasn't there. So this would not be a random signing.