Should the falcons sign T.O

(small snipet of a article on ajc)

YES: THE FALCONS SHOULD SIGN T. O.

The Falcons want to surround Matt Ryan with weapons.

How potent would a four-receiver formation be with Roddy White and T.O. in the slot on one side and Tony Gonzalez in the slot and Michael Jenkins or Harry Douglas on the other side. Mike Mularkey could put

back on his “Inspector Gadget Hat” and scribble away.

T.O. didn’t cause any problems in Buffalo. You know, maybe after all of these years in the league he’s no longer a quarterback killer. He will turn 37 in December.

Veteran wide receiver coach Terry Robiskie and Gonzalez could keep Owens in line. Robiskie used to be a Raider, you know.

T.O. has averaged 14.9 yards per reception over 15 years and can still get open. He needs just 49 yards to reach 15,000.

T.O. would help the popcorn sales at the Georgia Dome and give the Falcons some “sizzle” and “star” power.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sure people can say he's washed up and old or whatever, but point is he would only be a 1-2 year experiment anyway. And like the article says, he didnt cause any problems in buffalo so that shows he has changed since his days of killin QB's in san fran, phili and dallas. He wouldnt be the main target, maybe the #4 reciever (behind my boy MJ12) with HD83 playing slot (if healthy)..Thats the big question mark. So what valid excuses would their be not to sign him if we want to surround matty ice with all the weapons he needs to get us a superbowl this season?

Nope.

Cant stand the guy.

I like our locker room right now...without the ego-maniac and his media circus.

where was that ego maniac in buffalo???People are so judgemental of his past, and none of that went with him to buffalo even with the loosing record, u didnt hear nothing from T.O this past season.

Personally I'd rather see the team continue to develop the young guys. With White and Gonzo already getting the majority of the catches I'd like them to be sure to get the ball to HD, and whichever rookie that steps it up, it seems there's potential with a couple of them. I also would like to see us throw to Norwood more, assuming he can keep himself on the field.

I like TO. I think that he still has gas in the tank and that he will be a good piece for someone. I just don't think it's here with what we want to do. We want to build long term success, and bringing him in here would really hurt the development of our WR's. I think he can work for a few teams in the league, just not here.

I like TO. I think that he still has gas in the tank and that he will be a good piece for someone. I just don't think it's here with what we want to do. We want to build long term success, and bringing him in here would really hurt the development of our WR's. I think he can work for a few teams in the league, just not here.

how would bringing him in hurt developement if he's the 4th option?? behind HD83 we have finn, and alot of rookie recievers who could learn alot from watching players like roddy and T.O rather than throwing them in the fire expecting them to be successful. It usually takes a while for a rookie reciever to come on anyway so development would not be hurt at all with owens only being here a year or two.

how would bringing him in hurt developement if he's the 4th option?? behind HD83 we have finn, and alot of rookie recievers who could learn alot from watching players like roddy and T.O rather than throwing them in the fire expecting them to be successful. It usually takes a while for a rookie reciever to come on anyway so development would not be hurt at all with owens only being here a year or two.

Receiver position has actually one of the shortest learning curves. But most of all, we only have a 53 man roster. We're not going to carry 7 receivers so we can develop 2 rookies behind freaking TO. Can you imagine TO as a veteran mentor? TO is the poster child for what NOT to do when you're a receiver(speaking about personality, ethics, attitude, respect, team cohesion, etc.). Meier and Harvey or Wolfe will get snaps this year & get plenty of "quality" mentoring behind Finn, White, & Jenks.

Edited by Beef Jerky

I respect your opinion crank, but do you really think T.O is going to mentor anyone? Come on now.

He is one of the biggest 'ME' players of all time.

I respect your opinion crank, but do you really think T.O is going to mentor anyone? Come on now.

He is one of the biggest 'ME' players of all time.

was he a "me" player last year???? That was a perfect opportunity to display the me side of him but yet he didnt at all despite the loosing record. Its like people are judged on their past regardless of what they have done "in the now". People on this board have been complaining about MJ12 (for whatever reason i dont know) but having a starting like up with roddy and mj12 as the starting with hopefully a healthy hd83 in the slot, T.O as the 4th rotating with finn, and TG at tight end...Thats a unstoppable offense. and not to mention how much that would open up for our running game.

I don't dislike T.O., and while he's been a jack*ss at times I don't think he's the villian ESPN has painted him to be. That said crank, in the past he's shown that things are great when things are going his way...but when they're not...he shows his *ss, throws teammates under the bus, etc. I do think he's grown from that, but at this stage in his career the risks outweigh the upside IMO. He's not going to be the #1, we have a HOF @ TE, and HD coming back (anything Jenkins gives us is a bonus to me, but I won't hold my breath). I like the team chemistry and T.O. is too much of an unknown to me.

Receiver position has actually one of the shortest learning curves. But most of all, we only have a 53 man roster. We're not going to carry 7 receivers so we can develop 2 rookies behind freaking TO. Can you imagine TO as a veteran mentor? TO is the poster child for what NOT to do when you're a receiver(speaking about personality, ethics, attitude, respect, team cohesion, etc.). Meier and Harvey or Wolfe will get snaps this year & get plenty of "quality" mentoring behind Finn, White, & Jenks.

How long did it take roddy to come around????or jenkins???? yea most haters on here will always blame vick for roddy's development (which is untrue) so while it maybe the the shortest learning curve, it still takes maybe 2-3 years for a rookie reciever to learn the position and be relevant.

was he a "me" player last year???? That was a perfect opportunity to display the me side of him but yet he didnt at all despite the loosing record. Its like people are judged on their past regardless of what they have done "in the now". People on this board have been complaining about MJ12 (for whatever reason i dont know) but having a starting like up with roddy and mj12 as the starting with hopefully a healthy hd83 in the slot, T.O as the 4th rotating with finn, and TG at tight end...Thats a unstoppable offense. and not to mention how much that would open up for our running game.

Just for the sake of argument crank, people have the right to judge you on your past actions, regardless of what you are doing 'in the now'. He made the choice to be person he was back then. You get very worked up about guys with former character issues. You need to look at both sides of the coin here. I don't hate T.O, and I won't lie, it would be kind of exciting seeing him opposite Roddy. I just don't see it happening.

I hear what you're saying, but I really don't see the point of bringing him in as a 4th option. I'm all for adding great talent, but in my opinion I would rather it be someone who is good enough to be a second option. If he's just a 4th option it's pointless to bring him in here. I don't see anything wrong with a rookie 4th option being "thrown into the fire." They will get much needed (though minimal) playing time to help them develop. Bringing TO here will take that time away, plus he isn't mentoring anyone anytime soon, let's just be honest.

T.O. sucks. We already have a guy that drops a lot of passes(Jenks), why get another one? Makes no sense. Anyways, We are stacked at W.R. right now. White, HD, Meier, etc.

how are we stacked at reciever???not knowing if hd will be 100% for the season, and a couple of unproven rookies???