A Thread For Anyone Who Thinks Brian Williams Is Slow

I have heard many people on this board say that Brian Williams is slow. Maybe this year if he doesn't fully recover from the knee injury, but he wasn't last year. Check him out around 1:12 of this video. He walks down Josh Morgan after Brent Grimes blew a tackle. He also had a pick in that game. He ain't a blazer but he ain't nowhere near slow. What yall talkin bout Willis?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81353b3f/Falcons-45-49ers-10

Edited by FalconFanSince1970

I have heard many people on this board say that Brian Williams is slow. Maybe this year if he doesn't fully recover from the knee injury, but he wasn't last year. Check him out around 1:12 of this video. He walks down Josh Morgan after Brent Grimes blew a tackle. He also had a pick in that game. He ain't a blazer but he ain't nowhere near slow. What yall talkin bout Willis?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81353b3f/Falcons-45-49ers-10

Brian Williams is a mediocre Corner period. His numbers show that! If you guys just watch a few games, you will see that Williams had trouble covering receivers. Wow this guy gets a lot of unwarranted praise on this site.

Brian Williams is a mediocre Corner period. His numbers show that! If you guys just watch a few games, you will see that Williams had trouble covering receivers. Wow this guy gets a lot of unwarranted praise on this site.

Exactly. I just don't see what the hype is for Williams. IMO he wasn't all that in Minn. He is just OK at best.

I agree... If you go back and see the games... Brian Williams was average... He is so over hyped because he was average playing with an below average (at the time because of youth) group of DB's .... Brian Williams was average.... right now... Grimes and Owens is better then Williams....Last Year Williams may was better because the guys was young and didnt have the experience ...

Williams fitted the Cover 2 zone we was mostly playing....Coach Smith and BVG said we will play more man coverage... Thats not BW thing...

But yea.. Brian Wiliams was average... He got burnt vs the Patriots and Jay Cutler abused Williams (the game he got hurt) and Chris Houston.

Like I said... as a NB.. I think Brian Williams can be that but he is not an island guy.

This is why the Dunta Robinson pick up is so important.... Brian Williams biggest features are his vet leadership on the field and he is a savy old vet..... Last year we was so young on Defense... We needed that badly (What williams brought) ....Dunta Robinson now brings those traits as a starter except he is younger (28 years old) and faster....Now you can play your young talented CB's that can be #2 CB's....

But yea.. Brian Wiliams was average... He got burnt vs the Patriots and Jay Cutler abused Williams (the game he got hurt) and Chris Houston.

Like I said... as a NB.. I think Brian Williams can be that but he is not an island guy.

Williams abused by Cutler? Burnt against the Pats?he broke up 2 big passes to Moss against the Pats and he gave up a big play against the Bears but even in the play he got injured he broke up a potential TD pass.

Williams abused by Cutler? Burnt against the Pats?he broke up 2 big passes to Moss against the Pats and he gave up a big play against the Bears but even in the play he got injured he broke up a potential TD pass.

QB passing ratings against each CB

Hill 120.5

Jackson 100.1

Houston 94.8

Williams 94.5 :o

Owens 82.3

Grimes 65.0

I just saw both games (the whole games)... Old Olsen beat Brian Williams for an explosive play when he was the NB (On the Bears last drive) and Earl Bennett beat him on a explosive play (explosive plays = 20 yards or more)

That Pass break up he had on Moss in the endzone was really impressive... that doesnt excuse most of moss 100 yard game was on Brian Williams.... They even had more big plays to Moss but brady over threw it.

Yoo I'm not hear to put down Brian Williams.... The guy did good for what we needed him to do.... I just feel like the younger guys has proved they are ready for that spot.... They will have all Training camp to show that...

I know some Brian William fan think im bashing him... I am not bashing him... I know every CB gets beat once in a while... I just think he is a lil over hyped on this MB... If he wins the spot during TC... Cool... I just dont see it happening... You can also add in the TD "Brian Williams will compete for the inside CB position" comment also.....

We will see what happens.

Slow or NOT, in the NE game he had some HUGE pass breakups that would have went for a TD ... You can't deny he has some ball skills.

DO I think he has a chance in HE!! to start at RCB or LCB this year ... No, but may the best man win. Go Falcons!

Edited by thestufford

1. That INT had nothing to do with speed. He was just in the right place at the right time, but it had nothing to do with speed.

2. He had the angle and a head start.

3. Is he going to be fast after shredding his ACL like he did and undergoing full reconstructive surgery? It's already bad enough he was injured like he was, but his age doesn't help the healing side of things either.

I'm not going to take nothing away from Brian Williams... That run down play was a good hustle play... That has nothing to do with his coverage speed tho.

Its similar to when Jason Craft ran down and shoe string tackled Norwood on that kickoff play in 2008 ... That doesnt mean he has the speed to be an starting CB (on the island) because he did a hustle play (He played NB)...

Like i said... If Williams win the starting job thats cool.... I just dont see it tho.

I'm not going to take nothing away from Brian Williams... That run down play was a good hustle play... That has nothing to do with his coverage speed tho.

Its similar to when Jason Craft ran down and shoe string tackled Norwood on that kickoff play in 2008 ... That doesnt mean he has the speed to be an starting CB (on the island) because he did a hustle play (He played NB)...

Like i said... If Williams win the starting job thats cool.... I just dont see it tho.

I remember that and I'm still shocked to this day that he caught Norwood! - I for sure thought he was gone!

Edited by CHOCTHEFALCONFAN

I just saw both games (the whole games)... Old Olsen beat Brian Williams for an explosive play when he was the NB (On the Bears last drive) and Earl Bennett beat him on a explosive play (explosive plays = 20 yards or more)

That Pass break up he had on Moss in the endzone was really impressive... that doesnt excuse most of moss 100 yard game was on Brian Williams.... They even had more big plays to Moss but brady over threw it.

Yoo I'm not hear to put down Brian Williams.... The guy did good for what we needed him to do.... I just feel like the younger guys has proved they are ready for that spot.... They will have all Training camp to show that...

I know some Brian William fan think im bashing him... I am not bashing him... I know every CB gets beat once in a while... I just think he is a lil over hyped on this MB... If he wins the spot during TC... Cool... I just dont see it happening... You can also add in the TD "Brian Williams will compete for the inside CB position" comment also.....

We will see what happens.

he made some pretty good plays & he gave up some plays too but to use terms like burnt & abused? sometimes yall be so melodramatic lol! now personally I think Owens will win the spot next to Dunta and Grimes will be the nickle, but Williams' knowledge of the system will be valuable. he reminds me of Pete, being that he was usually in good position but being that he's older now didn't always have the speed to make the play. he definately wasn't no Chris Houston or Tye Hill

he made some pretty good plays & he gave up some plays too but to use terms like burnt & abused? sometimes yall be so melodramatic lol! now personally I think Owens will win the spot next to Dunta and Grimes will be the nickle, but Williams' knowledge of the system will be valuable. he reminds me of Pete, being that he was usually in good position but being that he's older now didn't always have the speed to make the play. he definately wasn't no Chris Houston or Tye Hill

See... I knew some would think I'm bashing Williams...I'm not.. I said he was average... Never said he was Chris Houston or Tye Hill (below average).

I also think Owens will win the job..

Brian Williams stood out because Houston and Grimes were performing so poorly at that time. He offers a base for the CB core so it doesn't slip into the embarrassing category.

I agree with that! Everyone liked Williams because at the time the D was playing so poorly that his average play appeared to patch a hole and gave much needed stability, not that he played like a pro bowler. Just be thankful Grimes/Owens improved as the year went on. They will have more of an upside. But Williams is stability, just hope he's healthy.

LMAO. First he was slow. Now he's mediocre, overrated and burned by Brady and Cutler?

What's that make Grimes and Owens? Good to great? LMAO. Can you list the number of QBs they got burned by?

And before you boys start listing wacky PFF ratings you might want to check Dunta's first. Oh and Grimes', who lost his job to Williams, Owens, Foxworth and Tye Freakin Hill, ain't a much better PFFer.

All of you Owens and Grimes bag huggers better hope Williams ain't 100%.

LMAO. First he was slow. Now he's mediocre, overrated and burned by Brady and Cutler?

What's that make Grimes and Owens? Good to great? LMAO. Can you list the number of QBs they got burned by?

And before you boys start listing wacky PFF ratings you might want to check Dunta's first. Oh and Grimes', who lost his job to Williams, Owens, Foxworth and Tye Freakin Hill, ain't a much better PFFer.

All of you Owens and Grimes bag huggers better hope Williams ain't 100%.

Do you even have NFL rewind? :blink:

Brian Williams played the best out of all our CBs in the 5 games he participated in. For this he is called overrated.

Funny thing to me is that in order for someone to be overrated they usually must first be rated highly. But most of Williams fans simply point out that he was the best we had last year and the pass defense was awful after he was injured. I believe what Brian Williams offers is consistency and in some cases that is more valuable than a big play guy who also gets burnt or misses tackles. He will not be penciled in as a starter, but if he is healthy then its like Phatty said earlier, we will have a safety valve in case the others play poorly.

Brian Williams played the best out of all our CBs in the 5 games he participated in. For this he is called overrated.

Funny thing to me is that in order for someone to be overrated they usually must first be rated highly. But most of Williams fans simply point out that he was the best we had last year and the pass defense was awful after he was injured. I believe what Brian Williams offers is consistency and in some cases that is more valuable than a big play guy who also gets burnt or misses tackles. He will not be penciled in as a starter, but if he is healthy then its like Phatty said earlier, we will have a safety valve in case the others play poorly.

Chad Pennington was 21 of 28.

Jake Delhomme threw for 300 yards.

Brady threw for 277 yards, but could of easily had 350 if not for some dumb dropped passes and a few off passes.

The 49ers are one of the worst passing teams in the NFL.

Jay Cutler threw for 300.

Then we played the Saints, Cowboys, Eagles, and Giants.

He plays the zone well as a vet should. His best place is within the 20 defending the endzone against the pass.

Chad Pennington was 21 of 28.

Jake Delhomme threw for 300 yards.

Brady threw for 277 yards, but could of easily had 350 if not for some dumb dropped passes and a few off passes.

The 49ers are one of the worst passing teams in the NFL.

Jay Cutler threw for 300.

Then we played the Saints, Cowboys, Eagles, and Giants.

What is your point? That our pass defense stunk? I agree. If you watched our first 5 games, then stats aren't necessary. He was the best CB on the field for us during that time. Someone does that and the fans respond with little to no appreciation what so ever. That's my point.