I don't believe these veteran players will make the roster this season.

sharky

I have a feeling Chevy is gonna get cut

i dont think he gets cut

even if they deem him the worst cb of the group i still think theyre going to carry 6 cbs, esp with chevy being a young player with a small contract and brian probably being a 1 year player for us and grimes being in the last year of his contract.

I think smitty said were running more db defenses this year so a 6 deep cb core seems likely

Yeah Coleman's going nowhere. In fact he's probably starting.

And if Babs gets a suspension and/or Jerry isn't 100%, JA98 will be starting at DT. We may very well start the season with Anderson & Walker on the inside. And to be honest, I don't think that's as bad as people think. Walker did some good things at the end of last season (his rookie season) & he's going to be better this year, AND JA98 with 20 more lbs & an actual "purpose" this year might just surprise the heck out of us at DT. Lazy or not, 6'6", 300lbs, 4.7 speed, & gorilla-long-arms at DT is like a dream on most teams.

And Jackson was in incredible shape at minicamp & made some good plays. TD & Smitty both said "We can't have enough CB's", so I'm thinking we carry 6 this year. Robinson, Grimes, Owens, Williams, Jackson, & Franks.

Weems is the only one I agree won't be here. Franks will replace him on KR/PR & both Meier & Harvey appear to be bigger more talented receivers. Weems is a slot receiver & with HD back, he just won't be needed.

Guest Gritz

Coleman isn't budging.....He was playing out of position all season at SS....and while he wasn't anywhere near stellar he wasn't an embarrassment either. Like beef said, he probably starts unless Moore has an unbelievable training camp and preseason....

Chevis probably stays....Anderson is very iffy, depends upon the health of our DL as the season approaches. If Jerry progresses on a nice arc in his rehab and Babs doesn't draw too heavy of a suspension I think Anderson is toast....Probably about 50/50 right now.

Weems is the only veteran on your list who I believe probably is a long shot to make this squad as we speak....

I have no idea why in the world our coaching staff would start using meth and get rid of Coleman. What happens when Decoud or Moore get injured? We use Jamal Fudge or that white guy we drafted???

I do think Chevis is done. Robinson, Williams, Owens, Grimes, and our new draftee are going to be sticking around and Chevis has no where left on the depth chart.

Edited by Dharma Initiative

1. Jamaal Anderson

2. Chevis Jackson

3. Erik Coleman - tuff decision

4. Eric Weems - another t/d

WRONG!! I think Coleman easily makes it. He provides leadership to our young secondary and he's not that bad. He was playing out of his position last year. Jackson may make it, but it depends on how far back Williams can make it. I would rather try and get a draft choice for Jackson than just cut him. Also Anderson will probably be back. From the rumors I'm hearing, Jerry might not be back all the way by season start. Finally Weems will probably be cut. If the rumors I'm hearing about our FA and Draft WRs are true. Weems and maybe even Finneran might get cut.

Coleman isn't budging.....He was playing out of position all season at SS....and while he wasn't anywhere near stellar he wasn't an embarrassment either. Like beef said, he probably starts unless Moore has an unbelievable training camp and preseason....

Chevis probably stays....Anderson is very iffy, depends upon the health of our DL as the season approaches. If Jerry progresses on a nice arc in his rehab and Babs doesn't draw too heavy of a suspension I think Anderson is toast....Probably about 50/50 right now.

Weems is the only veteran on your list who I believe probably is a long shot to make this squad as we speak....

Good write up. I think Weems has a 50/50 shot. It depends how he is developing as a WR IMO. He is still a very valuable special teams player and not just as a returner. Finneran could be on the bubble too.....

Good write up. I think Weems has a 50/50 shot. It depends how he is developing as a WR IMO. He is still a very valuable special teams player and not just as a returner. Finneran could be on the bubble too.....

Finns is in. The competition will be with Weems and K. Meier to prove their value. Weems is solid as both KR/PR and caught a couple TDs last season. K. Meier is the unknown.

wow i got negged for saying I think Chevis gets cut well let me explain. Chevis started showing promise his rookie season but since then has fallen far from that. He was constantly getting beat in the slot by well everyone last year wasnt able to get a slot at all last year to start with Owens coming in and Grimes stepping up. Dont forget Williams was our best CB last year until he got hurt. Franks has come in and shown that he is ready to make this team and take a spot. We brought in Dunta, that makes...

Dunta

Williams

Grimes

Owens

Franks

Chevis

If we dont keep 6 DBs this year Chevis is gone.... I used to like the guy a lot but he was a liability in the slot a lot last year.

Everyone has to agree, Weems did everything he was asked to do last year. Remember the past before HD and Norwood and all the drama in just a punt return. Weems wasn't spectacular but you didn't have to worry when he fielded a kick.

Some general thoughts on these players

1. Jamaal Anderson

The team keeps 5 DEs on the 53 man roster, right now there are the same 5 as last year plus 2 UDFAs.

I do not see either of the UDFAs beating out Anderson. Klecko seems to be playing at backupup Fullback

and if he makes the team it will be there not on the D-line. So cutting Anderson leaves the team with only 4 DEs ONE Short.

2. Chevis Jackson

Here it depends on whether the team keeps 5 or 6 CBs. In 08 the had 5 in 09 6. IF Schillinger plays outstanding he may become safety #5 leaving room for only 5 CBs. There are currently 6 plus 2 UDFAs. So one of the 6 may be cut. WHO is a guess.

3. Erik Coleman - tuff decision

DeCoud played FS so that would leave

Moore very little experience

Giordino 6 starts in 5 years

Schillinger NO experience

Williams can play safety if needed

competing for the SS spot, I just can't see them going with so little experience at SS alltogether.

4. Eric Weems - another t/d

It's a possibility but the talking heads say that Meier is more in the mold of Finn and I see the battle being between those two. there is an outside chance that Harvey or wolfe or Bergeron or someone may beat oaut Weems also.

I see

Hawley may replace Romberg

M. Johnson will most likely replace Ojinnaka

Meier may replace Finneran

Peters will replace 2 of these 3 Lewis, T Johnson, V Walker ( Only 4DTs)

Edited by delaigle

When will people learn to stop hating on Erik Coleman. Check out these two stat lines:

16 games started, 68 tackles, 2 sacks, 7 pass def, 3 int (25 yards), 2 FF

16 games started, 95 tackles, 0 sacks, 6 pass def, 3 int (32 yards), 2 FF

One belongs to our FS last season. The other belongs to our FS the year before. To be honest, Coleman had a better year than DeCoud because he had 27 more tackles, but if you want to call it a wash, fine.

Then we ask Coleman to move to SS. He puts up 116 tackles, 5 pass def, and 2 FF. This guy had the 2nd most tackles of all DBs in the league last season. But hey, if you don't want a guy who has been consistent throughout his entire career, a leader and achiever, who missed 1 game in 6 seasons, and done everything asked of him by the coaching staff- then yeah, we should cut him to make room for Rafael Bush or Gabe Derricks. While we're at it we should cut Lofton too, he didn't get any sacks or interceptions in '09.