Rashean Mathis is probably going to get released within 48 hours due to Jack Del Rio (pure speculation and exaggeration on my part, LOL)

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?id=8958

JDR is pissed off again at one of his key players---this time it's Rashean Mathis. Mathis did not attend VOLUNTARY OTA'S, and JDR is already voicing his displeasure.

I've followed the Jaguars relatively closely since JDR has been the coach, and he is not scared to get rid of good players.

Brian Williams, Marcus Stroud, Fred Taylor (who was willing to take a pay cut to stay in Jville, yet still released), Mike Peterson (who had a lockerroom dispute with JDR over something petty), John Henderson, etc. It seems that anytime a player gets close to 30 or is around that 30-year mark (like Mathis is; turns 30 in August), JDR and that FO feels it's time to go.

JDR has always come off as a control freak to me and a bit of an a$$hole. It is due to this and his history that I would not be surprised in seeing Mathis released sometime this summer.

I know, it doesn't make sense, right?

But that's what I've come to expect out of Del Rio.

----------

Now, how does this pertain to the Falcons?

Well, what if Mathis were released?

Would y'all like to bring him in to pair opposite of Dunta?

Keep in mind that Mike Smith is obviously familiar with Mathis due to his time in J-ville.

----------

I know the likelihood of this happening is slim, but it's the offseason so let's just have some fun with this discussion.

Edited by BlazerFalcon

Well, what if Mathis were released?

Would y'all like to bring him in to pair opposite of Dunta?

Does a bear take a crap in the woods and wipe his butt with a rabbit?

**** yeah, I'd love Dunta on one side and Mathis on the other. With two solid corners like, we could do a lot of stuff on defense.

...but it aint gonna happen.

Absolutely yes. If we could sign Mathis, especially for a reasonable price, he would be a GREAT addition to our CB group.

I am usually not one of those "Bring him home" type guys especially when most people on this board want everybody.

He isn't elite, but he is much better option than what we have right now and could make our secondary potentially a top 10 unit.

Absolutely yes. If we could sign Mathis, especially for a reasonable price, he would be a GREAT addition to our CB group.

I am usually not one of those "Bring him home" type guys especially when most people on this board want everybody.

He isn't elite, but he is much better option than what we have right now and could make our secondary potentially a top 10 unit.

i think hes elite, maybe not a top 3 corner but up there top 5

Between Owens, Grimes and Dominique Foxworth I don't think it would make sense to bring in another corner who would start over them. It would only stunt their development, so I don't think we will pursue him even if he is released. That's just my opinion though.

You should look at how good Mathis is

Let me see. The guy is demanding a new contract after missing 12 games in the last 3 years due to injury, including 6 last year.

Yeah, great idea. Give him a 5 year deal worth 9 million per.

Edited by Peyton

You should look at how good Mathis is

I know he's a good corner, but he is also 30 and he probably has a couple very good years left (if that due to the injury) and then his play will likely start to decline regardless of his talent. I am very confident that TD and our Front Office would rather develop Owens, Grimes and Franks (I don't know why the heck I said Foxworth in my original post, maybe I need some sleep) than sign Mathis and get a couple of productive years out of him should he even become available.

Between Owens, Grimes and Dominique Foxworth I don't think it would make sense to bring in another corner who would start over them. It would only stunt their development, so I don't think we will pursue him even if he is released. That's just my opinion though.

say what? :huh:

;)