UGA gets commitment #9. Fastest player in Georgia, one of the fastest in the country.

AJC College Sports Recruiting

Justin Scott-Wesley wins state in 100, 200, chooses Bulldogs

4:06 pm May 15, 2010, by Chip Towers

JEFFERSON – The fastest football player in Georgia is going to play for the Georgia Bulldogs.

Mitchell County’s Justin Scott-Wesley made that declaration from the victory stand after defending his Class AA 200-meter championship here at the state track meet. He did it by donning a UGA cap and holding up a black Georgia t-shirt as his win was announced to the Jefferson Stadium crowd. His winning time was 21.575.

Scott-Wesley also won the 100-meter dash earlier in the day in a state-record time of 10.35 seconds.

Scott-Wesley was asked what he was happier about Saturday, his state track titles or locking up a football scholarship to UGA.

“I’ve got to say both,” he said. “Last year was my first year running track . . . so I’m pretty proud of both. Anything I get involved in, I’m going to listen to the coaches and give my all.”

Scott-Wesley (6-1, 190) said he will play wide receiver and be an “offensive utility player” for the Bulldogs. He chose Georgia over Louisville, which finished a distant second but ahead of South Carolina, Wake Forest and Stanford. Wesley-Scott originally committed to Stanford last December.

“One of the reasons why is I love red and black,” Scott-Wesley said, wearing a red UGA cap and still beaming from his double state titles. “I went to a game when they were playing South Carolina and I saw how the fans were crazy about the Dogs. It’s just a real good atmosphere, more people in the stands than there is in my whole city. You’ve gotta love it. And I love the coaches, Coach Ball, Coach Richt, Coach Bobo and the rest of the staff.”

Scott-Wesley is the ninth commitment for the Bulldogs for the Class of 2011 and the second this weekend. Outside linebacker Sterling Bailey of East Hall committed on Friday night.

I think when it is all said and done, most of the "under the radar" commits will end up as 4 stars. There has been a noticeable difference in our evaluation process for offering scholarships on the D (we know why- thanks coaches G,B and L), and some of that is permeating to the offensive side as well. It'll be very exciting to see these players being coached up.

I love this momentum we have built up- there seems to be a change in recruit phychology from CMR is in trouble to the excitement that comes with an accomplished new staff.

Good news for UGA. But take it from me, track speed is different. I have never seen him play football but it's alot different running with pads on. Some guys can do. Other can't.

At Georgia I think we have seen both, Like Demiko Goodmen from a couple years ago who was fast as **** but never got on the field, and now we have brandon smith who looks like he can use that speed effectively... time will tell how he uses the speed in college

Good news for UGA. But take it from me, track speed is different. I have never seen him play football but it's alot different running with pads on. Some guys can do. Other can't.

This guy has been to camps and I'm sure the coaches watched a lot of filmng on Justin running in pads. The kid has only ran track for two years pretty impresive if I do say so myself.

This guy has been to camps and I'm sure the coaches watched a lot of filmng on Justin running in pads. The kid has only ran track for two years pretty impresive if I do say so myself.

I'm sure they did. All I'm saying is track speed is different. I ran a 10.4 in high school than ran a 10.32 in college. And I could never translate that onto the football field.