CB Aaron Williams

Williams is just one part of that great secondary at Texas. The other two corners Curtis Brown and Chykie Brown

are also ballers. They are gonna be 2nd and 3rd round picks. But Williams will be one of four corners to go in

the 1st rd. The other three will be Peterson, Amukamara, and Dowling. I'm not a Dowling fan tho. I still think

we will go OT 1st rd if Castonzo or Pinkston is there, but I'm also kind of leaning towards Williams too. I think

OT and CB will be our first two picks. It depends on how things go this season and which one is more of a need

next year. It could be the first time TD picks a CB 1st rd, and Williams would be perfect. I just think that this

is definitely B. Williams last year and if we don't get CONSISTENT play from whoever is opposite Dunta, then TD

might draft a corner 1st rd. All the other positions I think we will stick with what we already have. MOF I think

CB is the only position that's really not settled and up in the air. We just drafted two O-Linemen and plus it's

good to keep that chemistry together on the O-Line. But my three choices at #1 are Castonzo, Pinkston, and

Williams.

I am completely on board about the OT in the first round. With them tagging Dahl as a team leader for years to come, a first round tackle would set the line for multiple years.

I have to disagree about a CB early though. I think that TD has as much faith in himself as we have in him. I'm not saying he is prideful, but he is known especially as an evaulator of DB talent, and in the past three drafts he has drafted two in the third round and a third round talent in the fifth. Not to mention a high priced free agent. If he also took a CB in the 1st or 2nd next year, that would be a head-scratcher.

I think he sticks with his guys at CB next year. Also, if Grimes and Owens struggle at the other corner, Franks would get a shot next year.

I am completely on board about the OT in the first round. With them tagging Dahl as a team leader for years to come, a first round tackle would set the line for multiple years.

I have to disagree about a CB early though. I think that TD has as much faith in himself as we have in him. I'm not saying he is prideful, but he is known especially as an evaulator of DB talent, and in the past three drafts he has drafted two in the third round and a third round talent in the fifth. Not to mention a high priced free agent. If he also took a CB in the 1st or 2nd next year, that would be a head-scratcher.

I think he sticks with his guys at CB next year. Also, if Grimes and Owens struggle at the other corner, Franks would get a shot next year.

So then it becomes a question of who's better, Franks or Williams. I'm not knocking Franks b/c he's my boy, but

I think Williams is better. Williams is taller and more aggressive and physical as far as tackling. Franks doesn't tackle as good IMO. And Smitty likes CB's that will get in there and tackle. Not saying Franks won't but

not like Williams will. And during the combine Deion said that Franks plays not to get beat instead of playing

to make plays b/c he could've had more INT's than he had. Williams just goes out and plays. But like I said I'm

not putting Franks down, but I think his real problem is more of a mental thing, and it's holding him back. And

Williams just goes out and is determined to make plays. Plus TX puts out a lot of good DB's.

To me it would just mean that we are trying to compete with some of the top passing offenses in the league...... most notably the Saints who are in our own division.

Having two quality CBs who can cover one-on-one opens up so much for a defense.

The Bengals are a good example. They didn't have what some call a "shut down" guy, but they had two well above-average CBs who opened up things for their DC to be aggresive.

You said if Grimes and Owens struggle, then Franks will get his shot. My question is how much trust are we going to put in a 5th round pick to become a consistent starter?

I do believe that OT and WR are strong possibilities in the 2011 draft, but I would put CB right up there with it just because of how much two good CBs can impact a defense.

So then it becomes a question of who's better, Franks or Williams.

It would be great if Williams came back healthy and was a solid starter, this year or next. I was not naming him because I have heard some posters here quote someone in the front office saying that Williams was being brought back to play on the inside, but I could be misinformed.

To me it would just mean that we are trying to compete with some of the top passing offenses in the league...... most notably the Saints who are in our own division.

Having two quality CBs who can cover one-on-one opens up so much for a defense.

The Bengals are a good example. They didn't have what some call a "shut down" guy, but they had two well above-average CBs who opened up things for their DC to be aggresive.

You said if Grimes and Owens struggle, then Franks will get his shot. My question is how much trust are we going to put in a 5th round pick to become a consistent starter?

I do believe that OT and WR are strong possibilities in the 2011 draft, but I would put CB right up there with it just because of how much two good CBs can impact a defense.

Great points, and I wouldn't be upset with a CB early next year, I'm just trying to put myself into TD's shoes. There just seem to be other positions that we would get more impact out of an early draft pick.

At CB next year, Grimes and Williams will be free agents, leaving Robinson, Owens, Jackson, and Franks. They could still bring back one or both of Grimes and Williams, and have our current groups with another year of playing together. That looks pretty good on paper.

So, I am in your camp when it comes to OT and WR in the first two rounds.

It would be great if Williams came back healthy and was a solid starter, this year or next. I was not naming him because I have heard some posters here quote someone in the front office saying that Williams was being brought back to play on the inside, but I could be misinformed.

Great points, and I wouldn't be upset with a CB early next year, I'm just trying to put myself into TD's shoes. There just seem to be other positions that we would get more impact out of an early draft pick.

At CB next year, Grimes and Williams will be free agents, leaving Robinson, Owens, Jackson, and Franks. They could still bring back one or both of Grimes and Williams, and have our current groups with another year of playing together. That looks pretty good on paper.

I take a little different approach to how I look at it. I think you see it as our CBs already being a solid group and I agree with you there. But I see adding a top CB as a chance to DRASTICALLY improve our secondary by giving us two legitimate cover CBs and a rising star at Safety imo in Thomas DeCoud. This will have a domino effect on the rest of our defense and would make us a top 10 unit instantly.

Owens, Grimes, Williams, and Jackson all have one thing in common..... none of them really have elite upside. Franks has the physical tools, but he has quite a bit to work on.

I just don't see any guy on the roster at the moment who is going to be able to handle being targeted 75-85% of the time. By adding Dunta, you can bet that the CB across from him is going to get a LOT of attention. My concern is how well these guys are going to hold up.

Now like I said before, OT and WR are probably the bigger needs. The only difference is that we actually have a little wiggle room because we have our 2nd round pick.

I just think the value of adding a top flight CB and still being able to address a top need in the 2nd round would trump any other scenario.

Edited by hakim24

I was talking about Aaron Williams or Franks. But at first I thought we needed to address WR early, but after

looking at it again I believe we won't. I think they are pleased with White, Jenkins, and HD. And I believe

Meier will do a good job so we probably won't mess with that. And plus either Harvey or Wolfe will make PS.

I just see CB as the one position that's not really stable now. Even OL is more stable with the guys we just

drafted and Dahl or Clabo coming back with Reynolds on deck. So I wouldn't be surprised if we went CB 1st rd.

I just think the value of adding a top flight CB and still being able to address a top need in the 2nd round would trump any other scenario.

I see your point, especially if we are picking at the end of the round. Look at the Saints this year, they took another CB in the first which surprised many people.

I was talking about Aaron Williams or Franks.

My bad. That makes a whole lot more sense.

This is TX HC Mack Brown:

It says a lot about Texas’ talent that you can lose a top-15 Draft pick in Earl Thomas and still have the secondary be one of the strengths of this year’s team. Do you think Aaron Williams and Curtis Brown are the best pair of cornerbacks you’ve had in your time at Texas?

It’s hard to compare them, because I think every corner that has started for [defensive backs coach] Duane Akina in the last seven years has had some time in the NFL. So the guys have been really good, but we think these three guys – Curtis Browns, Chykie Brown and Aaron Williams – all have a chance to be NFL guys. We think they have a chance to be really good.

I like all 3 of them, but Williams is the best. I will say it again. I wouldn't mind drafting Williams 1st rd.

Our #2 CB spot is not settled right now. I would take Williams or an OT.

TD has proved time and time again that he doesn't like spending 1st round picks on CB's, instead he seems to prefer the mid round guys like Owens, Jackson, Franks, Middleton and even Samuels when he was the DB's scout at NE.

I think we go DE or OT.

TD has proved time and time again that he doesn't like spending 1st round picks on CB's, instead he seems to prefer the mid round guys like Owens, Jackson, Franks, Middleton and even Samuels when he was the DB's scout at NE.

I think we go DE or OT.

But what is the common denominator of most of these guys? They all were thought of as NB or depth guys. Owens may surprise and keep the starting job, but I am not 100% sure that the staff wants him to be the long-term guy. It's not my opinion. I am just going off of what TD said when he talked about Owens.

We also have to remember that TD wasn't calling the shots when he was in New England. He was a high scout, but he never was the guy who made the final decisions of who to pick. I used to go off of that, but I have changed my tune regarding his time in NE. It is safe to say he isn't going to do the exact same things they did.

Aaron Williams, Texas (6-1, 192)

A long, lean corner with good body control and flexibility when asked to change directions and redirect. Possesses the type of natural explosion needed to go up and make plays on the throw and displays the ball skills to consistently come down with the grab.

It would really be nice to have a big corner like Williams on the other side of Dunta. It would really be solidified then.

Just watch this video and you will see why I like him so much. He might go in the top 20 anyway. Start at about

the :55 seconds mark and watch the 2 plays he makes in the endzone. Then again at the 2:55 mark. Dunta/Williams.