Defense needs more from lofton

2K_DAVIS

:lol: :lol: :lol: @ 2K's avatar...

But Lofton definately needs to improve his pass coverage skills...it showed all of last year. RBs and TEs beat us constantly from the middle. Lofton plays the run so well that he subjects himself to falling for the play action pass and we all know the last thing we need is another key 3rd & 11 blown, but with Mike P, I'm more than confident he'll show improvement this year.

He's the 3rd best in the league for run defense and needs to improve on pass coverage. I think with Dunta on board they finally go to more man coverage which will free up this stupid zone coverage and make everyone better in coverage. I alright with a MLB being somewhat light in pass coverage but I want to pull my hair out when I see an RB shred it up the middle.

I think in Lofton's 3rd year he will be known as the enforcer and will dare some of the best backs to run it up the middle.

Smitty started him and Pete in the nickel, but settled on Nic and Wire in the nickel in the last three games, which the defense went into 7 point shutdown mode.

Don't tell me about the last three QBs. A 7 point shut down is a real shut down regardless of who's playin QB. Trust me.

Anyway, Lofton was soft in pass coverage but he was butta in the run game.

Nic and Spoon should end up being our nickel LBs.

Lofton needs to watch as many Jesse The Hammer Tuggle tapes as possible. That's what we need from him.

He's consistantly laying the wood at the line or behind it. He's stopping the plays, not dragging the opponent down once they get past him or getting ran over.

I don't mean to burst your bubble but he only had 3 tackles for loss last year. In comparison, Panthers LB Jon Beason had 9.5.

Lofton is weak in pass coverage and so what.

This is why we have drafted Spoon and Signed Dunta.

You can be perfect at every position and the way around that is to sign

and draft players who can make up for it.

DUUUUUUHHHHH

It may be more accurate to say he "was" weak as opposed to "is" weak.

I expect him to be much improved in 3rd down this year as he continues to learn what he is supposed to do on 3rd downs. His first year he didn;t even play passing downs he was so lost, last year he got his feet wet, this year we will see what he has.

Lofton will help with inside penetration more this year. Smitty has already hinted to this in a round-about way when he said there will be more blitzing from the LB's, especially up the middle. Lofton is a big, fast, & strong guy. We'll definitely see him on the edge rushing in nickel packages as well.

The best thing about Lofton is he himself already admitted he is no where close to satisfied with where he's at & that he needs to become better at pass coverage & causing turnovers. Those were his words. I'm sure he'll be a monster for us this year either way. He has a much better supporting cast around him to take advantage of too.

It may be more accurate to say he "was" weak as opposed to "is" weak.

I expect him to be much improved in 3rd down this year as he continues to learn what he is supposed to do on 3rd downs. His first year he didn;t even play passing downs he was so lost, last year he got his feet wet, this year we will see what he has.

Actually it would not be more accurate.

All we have to go on is his play from last year. And it was weak. So no one can say that they know he is going to be much improved. That is pure speculation. I hope he is better in coverage and i think he will be because he did get beat plenty last year, but thats definitely not more accurate.

Smitty started him and Pete in the nickel, but settled on Nic and Wire in the nickel in the last three games, which the defense went into 7 point shutdown mode.

Don't tell me about the last three QBs. A 7 point shut down is a real shut down regardless of who's playin QB. Trust me.

Anyway, Lofton was soft in pass coverage but he was butta in the run game.

Nic and Spoon should end up being our nickel LBs.

Lofton needs to watch as many Jesse The Hammer Tuggle tapes as possible. That's what we need from him.

Yeah a 7 point shut down is good, but you can't honestly act like whoever playing QB is irrelevant. Brian Brohm and Mark Sanchez and weather had a big factor as well. Not taking anything away from our defense cause they stepped it up big time, but having a rookie QB and Brohm who it was his first ever start, did play a big role.

And WTF is butta? Talk normal