PFF: Article on top elusive RBs

http://www.profootballfocus.com/articles.php?tab=articles&arc=&id=162

^- GO HERE. Give them the traffic they deserve. This took a lot of work for them! A bunch more info, too.

Top 10, percentage of yards after contact

Name Team Att. Yds. YCo YCo% YCo/Att.

Brian Leonard CIN 27 84 69 82.14 2.6

Chris Brown HOU 79 267 207 77.53 2.6

Larry Johnson KC 132 380 294 77.37 2.2

Marshawn Lynch BUF 120 450 339 77.37 2.2

Jason Snelling ATL 134 571 422 73.91 2.8 :o

Bottom five, percentage of yards after contact

Name Team Att. Yds. YCo YCo% YCo/Att.

Tashard Choice DAL 64 349 124 35.53 1.9

Reggie Bush NO 70 396 146 36.87 2.1 :lol:

Brian Westbrook PHI 61 274 126 45.99 2.1

Correll Buckhalter DEN 120 642 314 48.91 2.6

Thomas Jones NYJ 332 1,402 701 50.00 2.1

Easier to read version:

Rush attempts:

Jason Snelling - 234

Reggie Bush - 70

Rushing Yards:

Jason Snelling - 571

Reggie Bush - 396

Yards after contact:

Jason Snelling - 422

Reggie Bush - 146

% of yards coming after contact:

Jason Snelling - 73.91

Reggie Bush - 36.87

Yards coming after contact per attempt (average):

Jason Snelling - 2.8

Reggie Bush - 2.1

---

They had a big formula for determining the "Most Elusive" rankings.

Notables:

Turner ranked 8th most elusive, right above A. Peterson. Turner is tied for first among the top 9 "Most Elusive" in yards after contact average with 3.3

Carolina's Stewart is 2nd, Saints' Thomas is 3rd. Justin Forsett of SEA was 1st.

Norwood was 10th worst.

Tampa's Ward was 2nd worst. Saints' Bell 9th worst.

These rankings include missed tackles and averages when receiving as well.

norwood has been a borderline bust...i dont understand why some folks on here like him so much...i know he has sick speed,but as much as hes hurt,he doesnt get to show it,and the coaches are probably a little nervous about using him to much,which in turn hurts this team in the long run

norwood has been a borderline bust...i dont understand why some folks on here like him so much...i know he has sick speed,but as much as hes hurt,he doesnt get to show it,and the coaches are probably a little nervous about using him to much,which in turn hurts this team in the long run

Norwood has done everything and more you'd expect out of a 3rd round, backup RB...he's no bust.

I don't understand how they can come up with elusiviness mubo-jumbo to begin with; plus, when Norwood gets in the open field he can put on some moves at top speed that leaves the defenders hanging so they are wrong about him.

ACtually they are not, NOrwood is not very elusive and isnt a real shake and bake RB, he just runs by people.

Very cool, interesting stuff. I didn't expect Jamaal Charles to have such good stats after contact

yeah, they rank Charles really highly. Infact, they rank him as the best pure runner overall, even ahead of Chris Johnson. Maybe Charles would have a better year than CJ did behind the Titans OLine? Scary thought.

LOL go back and look at Norwood's high light vids and get back to me. Sure he runs by with his speed, but he

also puts on some moves.

Norwood doesnt have good YAC, which is probably what that article is referring too, yeah maybe in the open field he can put on a move or two, but at the line of scrimmage Norwood is not very elusive and often goes down at 1st contact.

Norwood doesnt have good YAC, which is probably what that article is referring too, yeah maybe in the open field he can put on a move or two, but at the line of scrimmage Norwood is not very elusive and often goes down at 1st contact.

Maybe so, but he most definitely doesn't go down easy. He puts his head down and gives out some punishment also. That has a lot

to do with him getting dinged up.

I do agree that he hits the hole (or wherever the hole is supposed to be) and should bounce outside if possible more often.

The first two years, the guy was as elusive as a running back could be. In 2008 he wasn't quite the same guy, and he took a big step back as a running back last year. Could be the injuries are catching up to him.

But he made some of the sickest moves you would ever see in 2006 and 2007, I can't believe people have such short memories.

Elusiveness doesn't have anything to do with yards after contact, elusiveness means avoiding contact altogether, so maybe these guys are just using the wrong term if they are using yards after contact to measure elusiveness.

I just think the author of the PFF article is having a problem with his terminology.

To elude is similar to evade or evoid ie (miss altogether) and as some posters have mentioned

a runner who is really elusive gets 0 YAC because he is not touched.

The Author is really talking more about POWER backs that actually get hit but bowls the hitter over and keeps going. Thus accumlating YAC.

It's just a matter of what he really means, and I'm not sure I understand.

Norwood is a bust? Give me your skewered definition of a "bust".

Eat it,

GO

Edited by GuerillaOntology

I guess a writer can craft a story anyway he see's fit to make his point. Kinda like posters in forums do....

You keep Snelling:

718 yards rushing

348 yards receiving

6 career TD's

I'll keep Bush:

1,940 yards rushing

1,934 yards receiving

628 yards on punt returns

32 career TD's

And I could care less how much either guy earns in pay....they both play under the overall team salary cap.

i find this study to be somewhat inaccurate being that it is based solely on YAC, and we all know michael turner's yac is so good because the first defender almost always bounces off of him, not because he is so elusive but because he runs right through them and so does snelling, thats what power backs do, and norwood is not too elusive because yes in the open field he puts moves on a defender but its b4 the defender touches him so its more agility than it is elusive