Hopefully This Is Rick Sund's Short List For A Two Guard

1. LeBron James - looks like the Cavs may get eliminated. Bring him home Ricky

2. Dwayne Wade - can shoot, penetrate and play defense

3. Joe Johnson - only if we can't land #1 or #2. Third best two on the market

4. Crawford and pick up Bosh to play the 4, move Josh to the 3.

Bibby, Crawford, Bosh, Josh, Al

whatever we do the hawks need to spend more money. the cavs, magic, and Cs all have payrolls > 80 million while we are in the 60s.

doesn't all the NBA have a salary cap, and wasn't Joe Johnson close to max contract? The NBA salary cap confuses the heck out of me, but why couldn't we sign someone for max contract to replace JJ without it being JJ?

Larry bird rule.

if a player has been with your team for 3 or more years you are able to sign him for more money, while not getting hit with the luxury tax.

Larry bird rule.

if a player has been with your team for 3 or more years you are able to sign him for more money, while not getting hit with the luxury tax.

well all that means is that JJ could resign with us for more... however how can LeBron or D-Wade sign for more money with a team, other than their original? If we are indeed at 60 million and we are having JJ come off the books.. why cant we afford one of the big guys in free-agency?

well all that means is that JJ could resign with us for more... however how can LeBron or D-Wade sign for more money with a team, other than their original? If we are indeed at 60 million and we are having JJ come off the books.. why cant we afford one of the big guys in free-agency?

maybe i worded it incorrectly. here is the basic gist.

Perhaps the most well-known of the NBA's salary cap exceptions, it is so named because the Boston Celtics were the first team permitted to exceed the salary cap to re-sign one of their own players (in that case, Larry Bird). Free agents who qualify for this exception are called "qualifying veteran free agents" or "Bird Free Agents" in the CBA, and this exception falls under the auspices of the Veteran Free Agent exception. In essence, the Larry Bird exception allows teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign their own free agents, at an amount up to the maximum salary. To qualify as a Bird free agent, a player must have played three seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent. This means a player can obtain "Bird rights" by playing under three one-year contracts, a single contract of at least three years, or any combination thereof. It also means that when a player is traded, his Bird rights are traded with him, and his new team can use the Bird exception to re-sign him. Bird-exception contracts can be up to six years in length.

also we are at 47mil without JJ. i believe the salary cap is like 60mil, so we only have 13mil to sign someone, and a max will fetch like 20mil a year.

we would have to trade some people, which I am all for. we could trade and get rid of bibby, marvin, smith, while getting good cheap pieces, then we should be fine.

I know it wont happen, but are we allowed to sign over the salary cap and just pay a luxury tax? If so wouldnt a $20 million contract to Wade or Lebron more than pay for itself in marketing? If we are only 7 million over the luxury tax, i'm sure there is some window of opportunity to shed payroll... even if not and we get hit with a tax, they are saying Lebron's marketing ability is over $50 million per year. It just seems to make business sense to atleast make a run, all things considered.

I know it wont happen, but are we allowed to sign over the salary cap and just pay a luxury tax? If so wouldnt a $20 million contract to Wade or Lebron more than pay for itself in marketing? If we are only 7 million over the luxury tax, i'm sure there is some window of opportunity to shed payroll... even if not and we get hit with a tax, they are saying Lebron's marketing ability is over $50 million per year. It just seems to make business sense to atleast make a run, all things considered.

we have cheap owners. Also i dont think you can sign someone above the salary cap.

if lebron came here, he would be a one man team just like the situation he is in now..we would have to give up alot just to afford him..most likely lose joe, marvin, and josh who have the biggest contract would be disposed of. no thanks..Not saying its a fair trade off because lebron is better than josh and marvin, but id rather not.

I believe they anounced the salary cap at $56 million next season. If you are $7 million over the cap, you have to pay an additional dollar for each dollar over it. In essence, you'll be paying $70 million dollars instead of $63 million and that's kind of hard to do in this economy.

The problem in the NBA this off-season will be that at least six teams have emptied their rosters in order to get a shot at four free agents: Lebron, Wade, Bosh, and Stoudemire (who may not be available). What that means for the Joe Johnsons of the world, is they can basically get a lot more money than otherwise to move into a situation that failed to work out the way that they planned. It will be a sellers market once those players sign because a lot of teams will be left with tons of money and horrible rosters.