At the polls: Fans want Henderson

Statick

155 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Falcons sign John Henderson?

• Yes, the D-Line needs help
    • Yes, but only for the veteran minimum
    • No, the D-Line is set

At the polls: Fans want Henderson

1:25 pm May 12, 2010, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

I thought we’d share the results of our recent poll question: Should the Falcons sign Big John Henderson? (from the AJC)

General manager Thomas Dimitroff has said the team will not pursue the defensive tackle, but the fans seem to want him. Some what him, but at the right cost.

Here are the results.

Should the Falcons sign Big John Henderson?

• Yes, the D-Line needs help. (58%, 1,188 Votes)

• Yes, but only for the veteran minimum. (28%, 580 Votes)

• No, the D-Line is set. (14%, 283 Votes)

Total Voters: 2,051

Henderson is still out there.

Should Dimitroff reconsider?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted NO the DT position is set

Not to be starting nothing.

What is your line up and rotation if bot Babs and Jerry are not ready to start the season?

Just askin is all, because this is an unsettled issue in the

mind of Karst41 :mellow:

TIA

Keep in mind that AJC readers also voted that DJ Shockley should start over Matt Ryan in '08.

Why would this even be a poll topic, anyway? TD already unequivocally stated to the AJC that we will not be acquiring Henderson. It's a moot question.

Henderson will probably only produce 3 or 4 sacks. He is only an average pass rushing interior lineman. He is an above average run stopping lineman. As someone mentioned earlier, PJs progress(or lack thereof) is very unsettling. I hope he can come back 100%, but im a little discouraged at this point. If we had an above average DT who has made two pro bowls, next to Babs, why would you NOT want that?

Not to be starting nothing.

What is your line up and rotation if bot Babs and Jerry are not ready to start the season?

Just askin is all, because this is an unsettled issue in the

mind of Karst41 :mellow:

TIA

I know you arent comfortable with the DT situation. I am thought mainly because we drafted a DT in the 3rd that pretty much in the mold of Jerry, but a little bigger. We also have another young DT that shows alot of potential in Vance Walker who was projected as a 1st/2nd rounder based on his JR numbers, but injuries really slowed him down in his Senior year which caused him to drop significantly, but there is talent there and he showed real promise after being activated to the 53 man roster.

Walker can be the NT on running downs, sharing time with Peters, we also have JOhnson who could still be on the Roster should we decide to put Jerry on the PUP List beginning of the season. JA98 shows that he could play the 3 technique in a pinch. I think we will be fine.

I know you arent comfortable with the DT situation. I am thought mainly because we drafted a DT in the 3rd that pretty much in the mold of Jerry, but a little bigger. We also have another young DT that shows alot of potential in Vance Walker who was projected as a 1st/2nd rounder based on his JR numbers, but injuries really slowed him down in his Senior year which caused him to drop significantly, but there is talent there and he showed real promise after being activated to the 53 man roster.

Walker can be the NT on running downs, sharing time with Peters, we also have JOhnson who could still be on the Roster should we decide to put Jerry on the PUP List beginning of the season. JA98 shows that he could play the 3 technique in a pinch. I think we will be fine.

I agree!

Man I'm 35yrs old and been a fan since I was 14. I'm ready to win a SB now. Tired of development this and that. This has been my issue for the last 2yrs. I've been hearing this for a while. It takes a while to develop and groom linemen. Whats wrong with getting someone who is not a rookie? I'd love to win now. What is the window for guys like Gonzalez and Abraham?

Man I'm 35yrs old and been a fan since I was 14. I'm ready to win a SB now. Tired of development this and that. This has been my issue for the last 2yrs. I've been hearing this for a while. It takes a while to develop and groom linemen. Whats wrong with getting someone who is not a rookie? I'd love to win now. What is the window for guys like Gonzalez and Abraham?

Man you aint that old LOL, you talk like you 70ty LOL. WE are probably going to be asking Peters to step in and make a contribution, and it does help that the dude has played in the SEC the last 4 years and still managed to put up some pretty good number in one of the toughest conferences in football. It also helps that we have one of the best Dline coaches. I truly think we will be fine and apparently the FO does too, especially since TD has already stated pretty direct that we are not pursing JOhn Henderson.

I appreciate that answer Jay, and especially your addressing Vance Walker, being that we did not

see a lot of him last year.

The preseason games 2&3 will tell us all what we need to know.

(meaning that Karst will stand down until then)

Many Thanks

Man you aint that old LOL, you talk like you 70ty LOL. WE are probably going to be asking Peters to step in and make a contribution, and it does help that the dude has played in the SEC the last 4 years and still managed to put up some pretty good number in one of the toughest conferences in football. It also helps that we have one of the best Dline coaches. I truly think we will be fine and apparently the FO does too, especially since TD has already stated pretty direct that we are not pursing JOhn Henderson.

Not as confident as you. I'll PM you tomorrow.

So i guess some fans are feeling good about going into the season with what we got????

Babs-suspension looming

jerry-unproven, injury prone player

ja98-no explanation needed

peters-unproven rookie

walker-not a gamechanger

johnson-ok

lewis-still unproven

so we expect to reach the next level with what we got???

So i guess some fans are feeling good about going into the season with what we got????

Babs-suspension looming

jerry-unproven, injury prone player

ja98-no explanation needed

peters-unproven rookie

walker-not a gamechanger

johnson-ok

lewis-still unproven

so we expect to reach the next level with what we got???

So how you put it adding a over 30 DT on the decline in his career is not going to really help us either.

Well, I'm 41 years old and been a fan since I was six and I don't see how signing washed-up free agents helps us in any way to win a SB this year. Henderson is nothing more than a big-bodied run stuffer at this point in his career. We need DTs that can generate pressure on the QB, which is not Henderson's game anymore. There's a reason he was released and then promptly passed over by every team who's had a look at him so far.

So how you put it adding a over 30 DT on the decline in his career is not going to really help us either.

you really cant take age over experience on this one. John could be good for another 2 years, along with helping mentor all the young tackles we have. I still dont get the idea of filling up this team with so many young players and holding them to high expectations. Are you saying john's career is on the decline because of his age, or you actually have seen his play for jacksonville last year and he didnt produce that well?? Numbers dont tell the whole story when he is being double and triple teamed. If we were really set at DT, then i would say no also, but we are not set at all, and as far as i know, babs is the only one worth conversation as far as being a game changer is concerned on the line.