Q&A: Thomas DeCoud hopes to follow-up big season

hawkeye

FLOWERY BRANCH – Free safety Thomas DeCoud had a breakthrough season in 2009.

He landed the starting free safety spot and was named to USA Today’s All-Joe team. He finished fourth on the team in tackles with 113 (73 aolo, 40 assists), he was second on the team with three picks and he had two sacks, according to the coache’s stats after film review.

We caught up with DeCoud right after he took the picture with the lovely lady above.

Below is the Q&A:

Q: What’s been your offseason focus?

A: Just trying to make myself better athletically. I’m trying to keep getting better and not plateau as an athlete. I’m learning everybody’s position on the defense. Being able to get a d-lineman lined up or a corner if I need to. I just want to be that field general. That’s what I want to get better at.

Q: Was it an honor to be named to USA Today’s All-Joe team?

A: It was good to be recognized. I felt like I played well last season. It’s always good to be recognized and have your name called out and put on a team, somewhat of an all-star team.

Q: What’s your ceiling?

A: I just want to be a field general. I want to learn our system in and out. . . like I did last year. I just need to build on the things I did well last year and make the things I didn’t do as well better.

Q: How has the unit adjusted to the new secondary coach, Tim Lewis?

A: Really well. He’s a teacher. Me, personally, I learn on the board and in practice. He’s a guy who likes to teach on the board and in practice. He’s making things simpler and a lot easier for guys to comprehend and get a hold of.

Q: The unit finished 28th against the pass. What are some of things that you all can do to improve

A: Just knowing our scheme. Once we know our scheme, we can match things . . . stop wasting time trying to figure out what’s going on. We can match routes a lot faster and get our hands on more balls.

Q: Is being competitive with the Super Bowl champs the team’s number one goal?

A: We go against the Saints every year. They are a good team. They are pretty much the litmus test for the NFC South. If we play well against them, we feel like we can play well against any team in this league.

Q: What are some of the offseason things you’ve done away from football that have been pleasurable or something you’ve been looking forward to do?

A: I haven’t been away too much this offseason. I went back to California and worked out the whole month of February. I took a couple of weeks off then got right back on the grind. You can’t get too lax in the offseason.

Q: It doesn’t sound like there’s too much fun in there?

A: I kick it, but mostly I’m a home body. I’ll go out every once in a while. But I stay at home and play the video games. I’m more a home body type dude.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/2010/05/13/qa-thomas-decoud-hopes-to-follow-up-big-season/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_falcons_blog&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter