O.J. Atogwe Could Be On The Market Soon

According to Steve Wyche of NFL.com, current St. Louis Rams safety O.J. Atogwe is not expected to sign his restricted free agent tender (for $1.2 million) anytime soon, and will likely be released into free agency.

Because Atogwe was given the lowest tender (right of first refusal), the Rams still hold negotiating rights with him. But if June 1st comes and goes and no deal is signed, they must either offer him a contract equaling 110 percent of last season’s salary ($6.3 million to nearly $7 million) to keep him around, or release him.

Atogwe is a very good safety, but $7 million might be a bit much — especially for a guy who really doesn’t seem like he wants to be there.

If he and the Rams cannot come to a deal and he hits the market, it’s unknown how much interest he would actually garner around the league. The Philadelphia Eagles were rumored to be interested in swinging a trade for him when free agency got underway, but that never happened and they recently drafted a safety in the second round of the draft.

That doesn’t mean they still couldn’t target Atogwe, but it certainly makes it much less likely.

The Arizona Cardinals were hurting after Antrel Rolle jumped ship for the Giants in the offseason, but they swung a trade for Kerry Rhodes from the Jets and would likely have no interest in Atogwe.

The Cowboys, Falcons, Browns, Chiefs, and Jets could all use an upgrade at safety, so there could likely be a mini bidding war for Atogwe depending upon on how teams truly feel about the veterans they already have and the young guys they picked up through the draft and afterwards.

The Baltimore Ravens could also be a team to watch if Ed Reed isn’t quite as healthy as we’re hearing.

Atogwe will certainly have no trouble finding a job, but if he wants to finally play on a good football team he might be forced to accept a bit of a pay-cut or take an incentive-laden deal. Teams usually like what they have at this point in the season and it might be difficult to convince them that he’s an improvement over the rookie they’ve fallen in love with.

http://nflspinzone.com/2010/05/11/rams-o-j-atogwe-might-not-be-theirs-for-much-longer/

So, you guys think we should have 8 safeties on our roster - or maybe we should grab a few more. Right now, we have 7. DeCoud, Giordano, Coleman, Schillinger, Moore, Derricks and Bush.

And out of those 8 only a few will actually play on defense, a few will be special teams and the rest will either be practice squad or cut.

So, you guys think we should have 8 safeties on our roster - or maybe we should grab a few more. Right now, we have 7. DeCoud, Giordano, Coleman, Schillinger, Moore, Derricks and Bush.

are u serious..i dont see anybody special on that list except for decoud..coleman is average SS at best..moore to me is more like norwood..a player who has all the potential in the world..but just cant stay healthy..im not saying to give up on him or anything but id rather have Atogwe instead of coleman..two man rotation moore and Atogwe will be sick..and if moore cant stay healthy we dont need to worry cuz we will have Atogwe....

Edited by ROOTI

According to Steve Wyche of NFL.com, current St. Louis Rams safety O.J. Atogwe is not expected to sign his restricted free agent tender (for $1.2 million) anytime soon, and will likely be released into free agency.

Because Atogwe was given the lowest tender (right of first refusal), the Rams still hold negotiating rights with him. But if June 1st comes and goes and no deal is signed, they must either offer him a contract equaling 110 percent of last season’s salary ($6.3 million to nearly $7 million) to keep him around, or release him.

Atogwe is a very good safety, but $7 million might be a bit much — especially for a guy who really doesn’t seem like he wants to be there.

If he and the Rams cannot come to a deal and he hits the market, it’s unknown how much interest he would actually garner around the league. The Philadelphia Eagles were rumored to be interested in swinging a trade for him when free agency got underway, but that never happened and they recently drafted a safety in the second round of the draft.

That doesn’t mean they still couldn’t target Atogwe, but it certainly makes it much less likely.

The Arizona Cardinals were hurting after Antrel Rolle jumped ship for the Giants in the offseason, but they swung a trade for Kerry Rhodes from the Jets and would likely have no interest in Atogwe.

The Cowboys, Falcons, Browns, Chiefs, and Jets could all use an upgrade at safety, so there could likely be a mini bidding war for Atogwe depending upon on how teams truly feel about the veterans they already have and the young guys they picked up through the draft and afterwards.

The Baltimore Ravens could also be a team to watch if Ed Reed isn’t quite as healthy as we’re hearing.

Atogwe will certainly have no trouble finding a job, but if he wants to finally play on a good football team he might be forced to accept a bit of a pay-cut or take an incentive-laden deal. Teams usually like what they have at this point in the season and it might be difficult to convince them that he’s an improvement over the rookie they’ve fallen in love with.

http://nflspinzone.com/2010/05/11/rams-o-j-atogwe-might-not-be-theirs-for-much-longer/

I don't buy this at all. The Falcons are set at safety. DeCoud played well last year and we have yet to see what 2nd round pick William Moore actually does on the field. No room for O.J.

If Atogwe came to Atlanta I'd have to believe he'd be penciled in as a starter, which would push Coleman out of the way (I know Atogwe is a FS, but since the position is supposed to interchangeable for us) and stub the growth of William Moore, a player that we haven't even seen in a regular Falcons uniform yet...

I wanted us to go after Atogwe last year, but I'm afraid it's too late now since the front office has already made a point to acquire young talent at the position...

If Atogwe came to Atlanta I'd have to believe he'd be penciled in as a starter, which would push Coleman out of the way (I know Atogwe is a FS, but since the position is supposed to interchangeable for us) and stub the growth of William Moore, a player that we haven't even seen in a regular Falcons uniform yet...

I wanted us to go after Atogwe last year, but I'm afraid it's too late now since the front office has already made a point to acquire young talent at the position...

Coleman played great at FS in Ryan's rookie season. It was the move to SS that when we began to see his struggles. Who is to say that this won't happen to Atogwe?

Why is it when some FA hits the market, there's a thread on the boards about him saying "bring him home TD" or something like that.

No way in the world Atogwe signs with us. TD and Smith are so high on DeCoud(for all the right reasons), we have proven vet in Coleman and Moore is coming back ready to prove himself worthy.

I don't see us even considering safety position for the next couple of years, if Moore pans out.