Arizona Banning Ethnic Studies In Public Schools? WTF?

JayOzOne

New Law In AZ

Look, I understood the basis behind the law challenging illegal immigrants a couple of weeks ago, even if I thought the law was poorly developed/communicated. They've got significant issues with undocumented/unwanted people in Arizona. But, to save myself, this newest development is ridiculous. I cannot understand the motivation let alone the reason somebody thought that this was a good idea.

Arizona gov. signs bill targeting ethnic studies

By JONATHAN J. COOPER, Associated Press

PHOENIX – Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer has signed a bill targeting a school district's ethnic studies program, hours after a report by United Nations human rights experts condemned the measure.

State schools chief Tom Horne, who has pushed the bill for years, said he believes the Tucson school district's Mexican-American studies program teaches Latino students that they are oppressed by white people.

Public schools should not be encouraging students to resent a particular race, he said.

"It's just like the old South, and it's long past time that we prohibited it," Horne said.

Brewer's signature on the bill Tuesday comes less than a month after she signed the nation's toughest crackdown on illegal immigration — a move that ignited international backlash amid charges the measure would encourage racial profiling of Hispanics. The governor has said profiling will not be tolerated.

The measure signed Tuesday prohibits classes that advocate ethnic solidarity, that are designed primarily for students of a particular race or that promote resentment toward a certain ethnic group.

The Tucson Unified School District program offers specialized courses in African-American, Mexican-American and Native-American studies that focus on history and literature and include information about the influence of a particular ethnic group.

For example, in the Mexican-American Studies program, an American history course explores the role of Hispanics in the Vietnam War, and a literature course emphasizes Latino authors.

Horne, a Republican running for attorney general, said the program promotes "ethnic chauvinism" and racial resentment toward whites while segregating students by race. He's been trying to restrict it ever since he learned that Hispanic civil rights activist Dolores Huerta told students in 2006 that "Republicans hate Latinos."

District officials said the program doesn't promote resentment, and they believe it would comply with the new law.

The measure doesn't prohibit classes that teach about the history of a particular ethnic group, as long as the course is open to all students and doesn't promote ethnic solidarity or resentment.

About 1,500 students at six high schools are enrolled in the Tucson district's program. Elementary and middle school students also are exposed to the ethnic studies curriculum. The district is 56 percent Hispanic, with nearly 31,000 Latino students.

Sean Arce, director of the district's Mexican-American Studies program, said last month that students perform better in school if they see in the curriculum people who look like them.

"It's a highly engaging program that we have, and it's unfortunate that the state Legislature would go so far as to censor these classes," he said.

Six UN human rights experts released a statement earlier Tuesday saying all people have the right to learn about their own cultural and linguistic heritage, they said.

Brewer spokesman Paul Senseman didn't directly address the UN criticism, but said Brewer supports the bill's goal.

"The governor believes ... public school students should be taught to treat and value each other as individuals and not be taught to resent or hate other races or classes of people," Senseman said.

Arce could not immediately be reached after Brewer signed the bill late Tuesday.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is pretty messed up, but I would be interested in seeing the details of what exactly they have a problem with in the curriculum. I know that a lot of what I was taught in history and social studies was complete crap now

The Tucson Unified School District program offers specialized courses in African-American, Mexican-American and Native-American studies that focus on history and literature and include information about the influence of a particular ethnic group.

Why don't they have classes for the white students? Like Irish-American, or German-American, or French-American?

Why don't they have classes for the white students? Like Irish-American, or German-American, or French-American?

Is that the issue? Why not create them if there's benefit to it? Do you believe there is systemic omission of the contributions of those groups? Do you honestly believe that there is not systemic omission of the contributions of racial minorities?

I'd be willing to bet that there is a lot that would be taught in the Arizona schools ethnic studies curriculum that you never heard about. Conversely, I'd bet that you were already taught most of what would be presented in an Irish-American, German-American, Franco-American class.

Is that the issue? Why not create them if there's benefit to it? Do you believe there is systemic omission of the contributions of those groups? Do you honestly believe that there is not systemic omission of the contributions of racial minorities?

I'd be willing to bet that there is a lot that would be taught in the Arizona schools ethnic studies curriculum that you never heard about. Conversely, I'd bet that you were already taught most of what would be presented in an Irish-American, German-American, Franco-American class.

An article I read in an Arizona newspaper said the law will: "It makes it illegal for public schools to have any courses or classes that promote the overthrow of the United States government or promote resentment toward a race or class of people. It also bars any programs "designed primarily for pupils of a particular ethnic group."

So, basically all it really does is prevent classes that teach treason, and prevents classes for all blacks, or all mexican students, or all whites even.

An article I read in an Arizona newspaper said the law will: "It makes it illegal for public schools to have any courses or classes that promote the overthrow of the United States government or promote resentment toward a race or class of people. It also bars any programs "designed primarily for pupils of a particular ethnic group."

So, basically all it really does is prevent classes that teach treason, and prevents classes for all blacks, or all mexican students, or all whites even.

Did the Arizona newspaper have an example of the Weather Underground actually teaching kids subversion in the Arizona public schools? I doubt that they did or they would have already reported on it. This is another political power play for what - as I take your post - is an utterly unnecessary reason.

Did the Arizona newspaper have an example of the Weather Underground actually teaching kids subversion in the Arizona public schools? I doubt that they did or they would have already reported on it. This is another political power play for what - as I take your post - is an utterly unnecessary reason.

I don't think it is unnecessary, and I will give you an example. If the school had started a "whites only" class, we would be reading an article about how the NAACP and ACLU had just filed a lawsuit.

You don't see a problem with classes that exclude other races? In a PUBLIC SCHOOL?

Edited by Lord Dark Helmet

I don't think it is unnecessary, and I will give you an example. If the school had started a "whites only" class, we would be readin an article about how the NAACP and ACLU had just filed a lawsuit.

You don't see a problem with classes that exclude other races? In a PUBLIC SCHOOL?

If the classes are exclusionary in any regard other than academic placement, that should be addressed. White kids should absolutely be ENCOURAGED to attend any ethnic studies curriculum that is available. Excluding members of other ethnicities flies in the face of what these courses should be teaching.

I honestly don't see enough to be able to make a decision

I don't see a problem with a class focusing on one ethnic groups contributions to American History but this is a problem:

He's been trying to restrict it ever since he learned that Hispanic civil rights activist Dolores Huerta told students in 2006 that "Republicans hate Latinos."

I would also like to see that someone has already taken and passed a class on general American History before moving on to a specific segment that focuses on only a small part. Without the general knowledge you have no context to go on.

If the classes are exclusionary in any regard other than academic placement, that should be addressed. White kids should absolutely be ENCOURAGED to attend any ethnic studies curriculum that is available. Excluding members of other ethnicities flies in the face of what these courses should be teaching.

Obviously they were exclusionary. Instead of banning them altogether, perhaps they should have made the law make the classes for everyone. Part of history lessons or something.

Obviously they were exclusionary. Instead of banning them altogether, perhaps they should have made the law make the classes for everyone. Part of history lessons or something.

Don't make the classes for everyone. The only people who benefit from this type of learning are those that want to learn what's being taught. But, there should never be barriers to a kid learning what's being taught. And if they're teaching subversion, the teachers and their administrators should be put out of dealing with kids. Period.

Don't make the classes for everyone. The only people who benefit from this type of learning are those that want to learn what's being taught. But, there should never be barriers to a kid learning what's being taught. And if they're teaching subversion, the teachers and their administrators should be put out of dealing with kids. Period.

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my post. I didn't mean mandatory for everyone, just OPEN for everyone. If a white kid wants to take the african american studies class he should be allowed to.

We had this problem when I was in high school in Los Angeles back in the mid 1990's. The school let mexican kids go to spanish language class (even though they already knew spanish, they got an easy A+), however they wouldn't let white kids go to the ESL classes (english as second language). Bunch of lawsuits went down.

That's messed up. Unfortunately, public school officials tend to go overboard in trying to provide opportunity to all students and they feel that giving an unfair advantage to minority students somehow makes up for otherwise failing to provide the opportunity for quality education.

All that does is hurt the student because he's not going to have the enablers when he goes into the real world and will feel even more "victimized" by the system. I guess you and I agree on more on this issue than I thought, but I still question the purpose and intent of the law.

"Six UN human rights experts released a statement earlier Tuesday saying all people have the right to learn about their own cultural and linguistic heritage, they said."

Thats the parents/family's job. I learned more about my heritage from my father and grandfather than any teacher ever taught.

Edited by BTL FED 2.0

That's messed up. Unfortunately, public school officials tend to go overboard in trying to provide opportunity to all students and they feel that giving an unfair advantage to minority students somehow makes up for otherwise failing to provide the opportunity for quality education.

It all begins with the fundamentals. If certain people fail to understand that human beings are equal, how can they make decisions that support equality amongst human beings?

Cheers,

GO

I guess it's easier to provide advantages to some in the name of equality than it is to level the playing field. We've been fighting this battle for 60 years and we still have a long way to go. Don't give me a break; give me a fair chance at the same opportunity that the next guy has. Is that too much to request?

I guess it's easier to provide advantages to some in the name of equality than it is to level the playing field. We've been fighting this battle for 60 years and we still have a long way to go. Don't give me a break; give me a fair chance at the same opportunity that the next guy has. Is that too much to request?

It is if:

1) An individual has little knowledge about anything outside his/her own country; or

2) An individual has been told, or has been raised in an environment which teaches that people who are seemingly different, are inferior to one's own.

Cheers,

GO

The more I think about it, I don't have a problem with any of this..The beauty of a free country is if you hate the way one particular state governs or regulates, then you have 49 others to chose from..If Arizona wants to beat up Mexicans, or Vermont wants to legalize human/deer marriages then cool...Just let the free market and peoples free will decide if they want a place like that to prosper..States rights gotta be respected for better or worse..

I agree with sourdiesal until the point that anyone's rights are being violated/removed anywhere. If unchallenged in Arizona, then like-minded people from other states pick up the cause and you have a movement that goes everywhere else.

There may be reasons that laws (especially those regarding immigrants) are necessary in Arizona. However, xenophobes in other states don't need to have those reasons to turn a legitimate initiative in Arizona into a reason for a fascist agenda in another one.

The more I think about it, I don't have a problem with any of this..The beauty of a free country is if you hate the way one particular state governs or regulates, then you have 49 others to chose from..If Arizona wants to beat up Mexicans, or Vermont wants to legalize human/deer marriages then cool...Just let this be "out of sight/out of mind" for people who are fine with their own lives.. States rights gotta be respected for better or worse..

That's how this could be interpreted.

There are obviously benefits to this system, however there are also negatives. I don't recall there ever being a time when someone claimed a system either had to be either one way or the other, one extreme or the other. The ultimate goal of a society is to find the perfect balance.

However, what is being displayed in this incident is there are many individuals who could care less about that balance.

Cheers,

GO

This country is too big.

I dont like the fact that places like Arizona are allowed to collectively bring the IQ of the country where great places like New York exist.

I think regions(or states in some cases) should be independent nations.

North East

North-West

Mid-West

South-East

South-West

Alaska

Hawaii

Places like the north-east would progress even further without having to deal with dead weight. Places like the south west, who elect community college graduates who make stupid laws like this, would fall into chaos.

This may be a good idea anyway though...American public schools do such a crap job on teaching black history that its no wonder that this country is so racist.

I think this is pretty messed up, but I would be interested in seeing the details of what exactly they have a problem with in the curriculum. I know that a lot of what I was taught in history and social studies was complete crap now

So, like, did you read the article, because all of the answers you are looking for are in there.

The more I think about it, I don't have a problem with any of this..The beauty of a free country is if you hate the way one particular state governs or regulates, then you have 49 others to chose from..If Arizona wants to beat up Mexicans, or Vermont wants to legalize human/deer marriages then cool...Just let the free market and peoples free will decide if they want a place like that to prosper..States rights gotta be respected for better or worse..

Your examples, extreme to make a point, are exactly why I like the idea of the Federal Government having more power than states. People should not have to face the possibility of moving from state to state in order to stay ahead of/away from the severe stupidity that can more easily infest a state level government.

One part of the argument I want to address is the fact that there are surely people who are not capable of simply pulling up stakes and moving by themselves. And setting up a system like the one you suggest would only serve to create situations where some states would almost be forced to follow the lead of "conservative" states around them in order to avoid being overwhelmed with an influx of people from those conservative states.

Imagine a situation in which states are responsible for the payment of certain funds or providing services to citizens based on low income, disability, lack of insurance. If a few states started restricting or lowering those payments then the citizens who were fortunate enough to be able to move would leave and go to surrounding states that had not adopted those ideas. This would in turn increase the burden on the state that was still trying to help provide for its' less fortunate citizens. The only way for the state that was being overwhelmed to stop the influx would be to adopt the same rules as those conservative states. He77 no, a system like that wouldn't work. A couple of states that just decide to eliminate assistance would basically hold hostage the other states and force them to change their laws too.

When it comes to basic human compassion the "free market, and free will" have no place, IMO.