Need of an ESPN Insider.

Many mock drafters nailed the Atlanta Falcons' first pick (No. 19 overall), LB Sean Weatherspoon, a former Missouri Tiger. But with mini-camp underway this weekend at Flowery Branch, Georgia, we're finally getting a glimpse of how the coaching staff plans to use their new stud defender.

As ESPN's NFC South blogger Pat Yasinskas notes, it's still a little unclear how exactly he'll be deployed this season; however, in Yasinskas' opinion, the two most likely options are as a replacement for Mike Peterson if age has finally taken its toll on the vet, or as an upgrade over Stephen Nicholas.

Atlanta's head coach Mike Smith made an appearance on WQXI in Atlanta recently to discuss all things Falcons, and he elaborated on Weatherspoon's immediate future. "We can consider [Weatherspoon] a four-down player because of his ability to run and play on special teams as well," Smith said, per SportsRadioInterviews.com. "Sean, this weekend, got indoctrinated in two positions. We have started cross-training him right from day one. He took both snaps at Sam and Will in our base defense and also played the backer in Dime in our sub-defense."

Many mock drafters nailed the Atlanta Falcons' first pick (No. 19 overall), LB Sean Weatherspoon, a former Missouri Tiger. But with mini-camp underway this weekend at Flowery Branch, Georgia, we're finally getting a glimpse of how the coaching staff plans to use their new stud defender.

As ESPN's NFC South blogger Pat Yasinskas notes, it's still a little unclear how exactly he'll be deployed this season; however, in Yasinskas' opinion, the two most likely options are as a replacement for Mike Peterson if age has finally taken its toll on the vet, or as an upgrade over Stephen Nicholas.

Atlanta's head coach Mike Smith made an appearance on WQXI in Atlanta recently to discuss all things Falcons, and he elaborated on Weatherspoon's immediate future. "We can consider [Weatherspoon] a four-down player because of his ability to run and play on special teams as well," Smith said, per SportsRadioInterviews.com. "Sean, this weekend, got indoctrinated in two positions. We have started cross-training him right from day one. He took both snaps at Sam and Will in our base defense and also played the backer in Dime in our sub-defense."

Does it really take an "expert" to report such profound info?

I would say he should replace Peterson. I like Peterson a lot and was a fan of him when he played with the Colts I think... goodness, it's been so long I can't remember where he played before Jacksonville. I just don'th think I could bring myself to replace someone who has over come a lot in their life and become successful. Nicholas can be great if he keeps working at it, and he's worked very hard as far as I can tell. For that, I say replace Peterson and keep starting Nicholas. Let Peterson be the "mentor" of the defense. Kind of like how Jeff Garcia was going to be for the Raiders last year.

:lol:

FlyHighFalcons, on 12 May 2010 - 12:36 PM, said:

Spoon should be at the top.

Weatherspoon's starting plan

How will Mike Smith deploy the draft's No. 19 pick this season?

What is the full "rumor"?

Is that Justin Bieber in your sig?

AHHHHHHAHAHAHAHA GOTCHO DUMB A$$ LMAO I KNOW ur not gon let him go HARD on u.... HAHAHA U a Bieber Fan?? cmon u can tell us.... u got the socks that got his face on heel, huh??? HAHAHAHA just fun bruh.... -sigh- tooooo bored on a Late night weekday lol

in Yasinskas' opinion, the two most likely options are as a replacement for Mike Peterson if age has finally taken its toll on the vet, or as an upgrade over Stephen Nicholas.

And every single other Falcons' Fan opinion.

I mean seriously, he's a linebacker who might play a linebacker spot. How is that insider info?

If it said they were considering using him at left tackle or as the team bus mechanic, then I'd consider it inside information.