The World Cup Thread

tim_d7

Disclaimer: I know it's going to happen anyways, but try not to turn this into an argument about whether or not you like the sport or why anyone else should dislike it. We already have plenty of those threads and this one does not need to be another. This is simply for those of us that are actually interested in watching and discussing the World Cup. And if you find it totally necessary to voice your negative opinion about the sport, just keep it short and don't constantly troll the thread. I'd really appreciate a good discussion amongst those of us that ARE interested. Thank you.

954693_100209011234_fifa2010logo0gl.gif

FIFA2010Draw.jpg

Squad Lists: Official Squad Lists

Group Schedule: http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/index.html

Round of 16:

26 June 2010

16:00

Match 49

Winners of Group A - Runners-up of Group B Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth

26 June 2010

20:30

Match 50

Winners of Group C - Runners-up of Group D Royal Bafokeng Stadium, Rustenburg

27 June 2010

Match 51

Winners of Group D - Runners-up of Group C Free State Stadium, Bloemfontein

27 June 2010

Match 52

Winners of Group B - Runners-up of Group A Soccer City, Johannesburg

28 June 2010

Match 53

Winners of Group E - Runners-up of Group F Moses Mabhida Stadium, Durban

28 June 2010

Match 54

Winners of Group G - Runners-up of Group H Ellis Park Stadium, Johannesburg

29 June 2010

Match 55

Winners of Group F - Runners-up of Group E Loftus Versfeld Stadium, Pretoria

29 June 2010

Match 56

Winners of Group H - Runners-up of Group G Cape Town Stadium, Cape Town

Quarter-finals:

2 July 2010

Match 57

Winners of Match 53 - Winners of Match 54 Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth

2 July 2010

Match 58

Winners of Match 49 - Winners of Match 50 Soccer City, Johannesburg

3 July 2010

Match 59

Winners of Match 52 - Winners of Match 51 Cape Town Stadium, Cape Town

3 July 2010

Match 60

Winners of Match 55 - Winners of Match 56 Ellis Park Stadium, Johannesburg

Semi-finals:

6 July 2010

Match 61

Winners of Match 58 - Winners of Match 57 Cape Town Stadium, Cape Town

7 July 2010

Match 62

Winners of Match 59 - Winners of Match 60 Moses Mabhida Stadium, Durban

Third Place Match:

10 July 2010

Match 63

Losers of Match 61 - Losers of Match 62 Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth

Final:

11 July 2010

Match 64

Winners of Match 61 - Winners of Match 62 Soccer City, Johannesburg

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really feel that USA will win our group. England will be tough to outscore but I think this team is fired up and ready to prove something to the world (again)

The English certainly are a cocky group right now, as per usual. It's hard to find any sort of objective view of their team or players within their own media. As far as the group goes, the US is going to have to do better than they did at the confederations cup group stage to survive. I think England is a good draw for them since there will certainly be a bit more of an understanding of the styles of play, but still is going to be tough to match their level. Algeria could pose a threat, and Slovenia is the obvious underdog of the group.

I really feel that USA will win our group. England will be tough to outscore but I think this team is fired up and ready to prove something to the world (again)

No chance since there will be no Charlie Davies.

He was the speed, without him there will be too much pressure on Landon Donovan.

Domenech left karim benzema of the french roster cause hes a complete dipsh**

Or because benzema is an overrated striker who cant even get playing time at his club after being bought for a ridiculous amount of Euros.

Benzema deserves to be there....but im happy with the strikers he named, but Nasri should have been named. That is where Domenech got it wrong.

Or because benzema is an overrated striker who cant even get playing time at his club after being bought for a ridiculous amount of Euros.

Benzema deserves to be there....but im happy with the strikers he named, but Nasri should have been named. That is where Domenech got it wrong.

I agree about Nasri, Domenech really ****** up there. I think he really could have afforded to put benzema at least as a reserve though. I love Henry but if Domenech says he didn't take benzema because of playing time and Henry is almost living on the bench its a tad b.s. but I still love henry :D

Edited by whatfatfreddydropped

I agree with leaving Benzema out but Domenench is an idiot. How he has managed to keep that job after the euro's is still a surprise to me. France has so much talent that they should at least make the semi's but Domenench's stupidity is going to cost them. Another stupid man is Maradona who has already left Cambiasso and Zannetti out and will also cut Milito from the 30. Maradona and Domenench take the prize for managers who will cost their teams the world cup. oh and all you yanks what do you think about june 12th? I say you guys have no chance. I say Slovenia finishes 2nd in that group and the U.S gets eliminated....

Not a chance. Donovan is your best player and he is very overhyped and overrated. USA doesn't even make it past the group stages if you ask me. As far as proving to the world again its a load of BS. You beat Spain okay but that victory was a while ago and even the biggest underdogs have their days and it was the confed cup something that Spain could hardly care about. I love when yanks come up with that same stupid excuse "oh but we beat Spain." Gees get real....

Soccer sucks

/thead.

B)

don't post in here then mate.

Edited by Falcsfan55

June 12, 2010 2:30pm This match will undoubtedly be an affirmation of England's weakness on the big stage! They will choke as they have choked and will continue to choke and we WILL rise above them. From the shattered pieces of their broken dreams will rise a new soccer nation, with the power to challenge the whole world!!

June 12, 2010 2:30pm This match will undoubtedly be an affirmation of England's weakness on the big stage! They will choke as they have choked and will continue to choke and we WILL rise above them. From the shattered pieces of their broken dreams will rise a new soccer nation, with the power to challenge the whole world!!

:lol::lol::lol:. Silly yanks....

Hey, im happy even if we get to the quarter final because not having charlie davis and jermaine jones in the mid field is a real back breaker for clint dempsey and donovan since we all see how great altidore is <_< unless feilhaber helps them out in not having second midfield disaster as usual... P.S I hope rossi fails with his national team and sucks with his next team.

Hey, im happy even if we get to the quarter final because not having charlie davis and jermaine jones in the mid field is a real back breaker for clint dempsey and donovan since we all see how great altidore is <_< unless feilhaber helps them out in not having second midfield disaster as usual... P.S I hope rossi fails with his national team and sucks with his next team.

bitter that he decided to play for the better country? Rossi is a decent player but Cassano and Totti should have been picked over him.

You guys haven't proved anything since 66

We consistently make it past the group stages and at least to the quarters (lost to some very unlucky circumstances) more than what the US can say. I'm sorry but the US doesn't have the organization or the quality to compete with England or any other big teams. You will get by Algeria and MAYBE Slovenia but I say Slovenia finishes second in that group.