Jamaal Anderson - an unbiased discussion

Ditto

I wish someone would do an in depth analysis of Jamaal Anderson's technique/skills/physique/intangibles and explain in detail why he has been unable to generate the pass rush expected from a first round draft choice who had 13.5 sacks his last year at Arkansas.

How would an NFL scout, coach, or player like Warren Sapp profile and critique Anderson?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His technique is poor and his number of moves is very few. His one trick was swinging inside on stunts and a bull rush, neither of which has translated to the Pros.

He has great work out stats, exceptional to say the least. It's the common "work-out warrior" case. Guy puts up ridiculous numbers at the combine, don't look at the film, and fail to realize that his measurables don't translate onto the film. This can be seen by him getting blocked out of plays by TEs, not even requiring an actual linemen to get him out the way.

Intangibles? He's not in the best shape from what we've seen of him, and nothing has really been said about his work ethic. Whenever players are mentioned in terms of work ethic, being at the facility, or trying out new programs, it seems he is never mentioned. He doesn't do or say much on the sidelines either.

The dude is a first rate bust. Not much to say about him at this point.

Edited by Radical Ace

I wish someone would do an in depth analysis of Jamaal Anderson's technique/skills/physique/intangibles and explain in detail why he has been unable to generate the pass rush expected from a first round draft choice who had 13.5 sacks his last year at Arkansas.

How would an NFL scout, coach, or player like Warren Sapp profile and critique Anderson?

He was a benefactor of the scheme he played in, the coaches at ARkansas allowed Anderson to freelance and was successful using stunts to get to the QB.

I'm not downing JA98 or taking away what he did in college but most of those 13 sacks were off of stunts or broken down plays... Arkansas let JA98 freelance... In the NFL you cant do that... you have to protect your gap...

Ive always felt like he was a 3-4 DE (can play DT).... I feel like JA98's problem as a DE is his hand usage, burst off the edge, and this is going to sound weird but ankle flexion...

You cab teach the hands thing... You can increase your burst some.... but the ankle flexion thing... You have it or you do (the great pass rushers) ... thats how you get around the edge without having to take that extra step...,.

But yea... JA98 is just not that guy.... I do think he will be better at DT.. He is athletic for a DT.

Here's unbiased:

If i was another NFL team wanting to sign Anderson, i am looking at the positives...

He is only 24 years old, with 3 years of NFL starting experience at 2 different positions

along the defensive line.

Basically, an injury free, young career so far.

He has done some good things for the Falcons, even though his name is not

recognized as a game changer, including dropping back into coverage, pass rusher and run stopper.

At 6'6" 290 pounds he can play many positions in a 3-4 or 4-3 defense base and sub packages.

He's only 24 years old...did i say that already? Huge potential in the right situation

with the right coaches.

I understand why some of you want to get rid of Anderson.

But understand why other teams might see a future in this player.

This year could tell alot about how much he has grown as a player and as a person.

Edited by HouseofEuphoria

Here's unbiased:

If i was another NFL team wanting to sign Anderson, i am looking at the positives...

He is only 24 years old, with 3 years of NFL starting experience at 2 different positions

along the defensive line.

Basically, an injury free, young career so far.

He has done some good things for the Falcons, even though his name is not

recognized as a game changer, including dropping back into coverage, pass rusher and run stopper.

At 6'6" 290 pounds he can play many positions in a 3-4 or 4-3 defense base and sub packages.

He's only 24 years old...did i say that already? Huge potential in the right situation

with the right coaches.

I understand why some of you want to get rid of Anderson.

But understand why other teams might see a future in this player.

This year could tell alot about how much he has grown as a player and as a person.

You could stick a player at multiple positions and have him try different things, but it's pointless if they don't do any of it well.

If a coach thinks he can change a player with 6 years of experience at the position, go for it, but it's probably not going to end well.

jamaal anderson is a fantastic player

hes like a catepillar, once he got into the nfl hes been in a cacoon, basically doing absolutely nothing for 3 whole years, but we all know that this year, year 4, all signs suggest that he will undoubtedly breakout of that form and become a massive sack producing butterfly.

butterfly.jpg

Unbiased discussion - He's a disappointment. He has had every opportunity to learn from one of the best pure pass rushers in the NFL, John Abraham. Abraham has said on record that he needs to listen to the veterans. He came into the league with the wrong attitude and he hasn't shown much improvement since.

As of now, he still is losing one on one matchup's. He is unable to get to the QB. He's unable to collapse the pocket. And his run defense is overrated, he's not bad, but some act like he's a great run stuffer and that is far from the truth.

So far he has started 44 games in his 3 year career. He has 84 tackles (less than 2 per game), 2.5 sacks (less than 1 per season), and 8 passes defensed.

The only upside I see is that he's entering his 4th season on a 5 year contract. Most players know your second to last year is your contract year. So I expect him to be better this year than we've ever seen him before. Not that I expect that much of a leap, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's a much improved player this season for the mere fact that he won't be getting another payday if he isn't.

I thought he showed some improvement this last season. Did he live up to his draft spot? No, but I think he improved. He was getting some pass rushing going and was stopping a few runs. Unfortunately that would mostly be at the beginning of games and he would loosen up after the first quarter. I don't like his laziness obviously though. In case you didn't know he had the opportunity to train with one of the best defensive linemen ever - Chuck Smith - and denied it. That kind of ticked me off. I do however understand why he's still on the roster. I just don't think he should be starting. Sometimes I wonder if the coaching staff is just starting him to make use of his draft spot and contract. I'd put him as back up though, as I'm sure many others would also.

He hasn't even sniffed his draft status, but I still think he is a solid player with a lot of room to grow.

I never expect him to be much of a threat off the outside, but I could definitely see him as a guy who can be effective at two positions on the D-Line. That is what I want from him and he actually showed some of it last year.

People should be disappointed in his stats, but there is a reason why he is still on this team. The coaching staff knows that he played better than what those stats indicated. He even had a few sacks wiped off the board.

Is he a huge threat at DE? absolutely not. But as a 290 lb DE/DT he has a lot of potential to revive his career.

To me his biggest problem is his first step. He's so slow off the line and has no explosiveness in that first step. If you watch closely you see he's always the last guy out of his stance. By the time he hits his blocker, the blocker is ready for him. It's hard to get around an NFL O-lineman when the lineman has time to get set. This is a problem that's dated back to his college days.

He has poor upper body strength. His speed numbers were good at the combine but his bench press numbers were laughable. People wrote it off saying long armed guys like him sometimes have trouble with the bench because they have farther to go with each rep. It's safe to say that this wasn't the case with Anderson. He has very little upper body strength. This really hurts him once he's engaged with a blocker. When someone lays a hand on Anderson, he's done, he can't get away.

His playing speed doesn't match his timed speed. This happens a lot. You can train yourself to run around cones, when you're having to make reads, change directions in the open field, and accelerate suddenly, it's different. Anderson's workout speed hasn't translated to playing speed. He lurches around the field.

Anderson never learned any technique either. As was mentioned earlier, his only move is a bull rush. He has no moves. For whatever reason he's never learned anything. This alone makes me question either his work ethic or his intelligence.

Anderson has never been a good edge rusher. Even in college he played in a stunt heavy defense where he got most of his sacks on designed plays. Lining up one on one and beating that blocker off the line is something he's never excelled at and it's what NFL DEs are asked to do.

I don't think JA98 is a great player. And I'm sure there's some truth to the laziness comments. But he's also a victim of unrealistic expectations, as big a bust as he seems. Pass rushing really is a talent that takes most players years to develop.

I went over to NFL.com, and of the 40 players who had 6 or more sacks in the 09 regular season, only 2 were defensive ends drafted in 07 or later.

They are, Calais Cambell a late 2nd round pick and Trevor Scott a 6th round pick.

So its not like any other teams are bringing in 1st round DEs that are putting up double digit sacks year after year. Sure, Mario Williams is basically doing that, but he's the only one in the last four or five years to do that.

Now, I'm not saying Jamal shouldn't or couldn't have had better production on the pressures and sacks side, but at least we're getting some productivity out of the guy. I've been a Falcons fan for a while, and in the history of busts this guy is not even close to the top of the list. We've had first rounders who couldn't get on the field.

So if you think he's a bust, my question is compared to who? Jarvis Moss? Chris Long? Vernon Gholston? Derrick Harvey?

I wanted us to sign Greg Ellis last year as a situational pass rusher opposite Abe. I still think a trade for an experienced vet that won't break the bank is a better investment than early round picks given where we are.