I will be disappointed if JA98 is still on the roster come Sept

Jaymadd

If you havent read my Thread on the Mini-Camp practice i attended, I had a good conversation with Thomas JOhnson who feels that it is going to be tough to retain a spot on the team. I am having a hard time believing that JA98 deserves a roster spot over a few people that we will be victims of the roster cut downs at the end of preseason. If there werent any PS restrictions/guidelines, I would bet that JA98 would be on the PS. I know it really doesnt matter what I think about what the FO/Coaching staff should do, but I think it is time to move on past the JA98 experiment and give those spots to players that havent been a complete disappointment their entire NFL career. I think that JA98 probably needs a new opportunity in a 3-4 so that he can have a solid career as a 3-4 DE, where they tend to value a run defending DE than we do as a 4-3 DE.

Sorry if I offend anyone, but I gotta side with a player that off the streets and played to the best of his ability than a HIgh Round Draft pick that is questionable whether he has given the effort that his paycheck has warranted.

Just a Day in the Mind of Jaymadd :D

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Draft status aside, if we can get 6 sacks from Anderson and 5.5 from Johnson, it's better to start Anderson (wishful thinking in both regards). From a financial standpoint, if the money saved by losing Anderson gets us another Johnson, then we need to consider losing the dead weight.

The way I feel about it is this, Jamaal has been a huge disappointment, but at the same time he's 23 years old, I think, and the light can come on any time, I know it's been 3 seasons, but that first season was with Petrino's coaching staff as well. I see no harm in keeping him this year and moving him between DE and DT. We have the room at DE to keep him listed, we don't have a better DE that's on the verge of getting cut because of it. As long as most of his snaps come at DT and don't keep Davis, Sid and Kroy off the field, I'm fine with him sticking for this year. If he doesn't produce this year, he can go.

Draft status aside, if we can get 6 sacks from Anderson and 5.5 from Johnson, it's better to start Anderson (wishful thinking in both regards). From a financial standpoint, if the money saved by losing Anderson gets us another Johnson, then we need to consider losing the dead weight.

I actually think that JOhnson will always produce better than JA98, based on one simple word - Heart.

I think you will be disappointed. I really don't see the FO releasing him, especially as Smithy and TD keep mentioning him playing in a 'swing' role for the 2010 season.

I just don't understand how a player can serve in a "swing" role when he isn't any good at either position.

The way I feel about it is this, Jamaal has been a huge disappointment, but at the same time he's 23 years old, I think, and the light can come on any time, I know it's been 3 seasons, but that first season was with Petrino's coaching staff as well. I see no harm in keeping him this year and moving him between DE and DT. We have the room at DE to keep him listed, we don't have a better DE that's on the verge of getting cut because of it. As long as most of his snaps come at DT and don't keep Davis, Sid and Kroy off the field, I'm fine with him sticking for this year. If he doesn't produce this year, he can go.

DAvis can play just as well even better at LDE in the base package than JA98, and when JA98 got hurt last year, our run defense was just as stout. WE have added Peters and Jerry will come back so that will help with the DT rotation and I would take both of those players getting snaps than JA98, so honestly i really dont see the value in keeping JA98. I know that JA98 is young but it is time to face that fact that he is not a 4-3 pass rushing, and I dont think that will ever change regardless of what light comes on LOL.

I just don't understand how a player can serve in a "swing" role when he isn't any good at either position.

That is what I am saying, DAvis has shown to be a much better LDE in the base, at DT JA98 didnt do anything of significance last year and we just drafted a 3rd DT that is a pass rusher and we have our 1st round pick coming back. So where and when is he going to swing too. I dont see him getting many snaps this year period.

DAvis can play just as well even better at LDE in the base package than JA98, and when JA98 got hurt last year, our run defense was just as stout. WE have added Peters and Jerry will come back so that will help with the DT rotation and I would take both of those players getting snaps than JA98, so honestly i really dont see the value in keeping JA98. I know that JA98 is young but it is time to face that fact that he is not a 4-3 pass rushing, and I dont think that will ever change regardless of what light comes on LOL.

It could only change if the guy actually got into shape. He is physically capable of being a player, he just hasn't put in the work.

Maybe not, but as of this season, there's absolutely no one better to keep at DE so keep him.

It could only change if the guy actually got into shape. He is physically capable of being a player, he just hasn't put in the work.

I dont think it is possible for him to be what he was drafted to be, he doesnt relentless motor, undeniable desire to get to the QB, it just doesnt seem to built in him, and that is something that you cant teach.

Tell Smithy that. I would personally rather see Biermann playing in the base package and sub package.

Beirmann biggest obstacle is improving his run defense at LDE, and ABE was the RDE in the base last year with Sid and Biermann subbing for ABe and DAvis and JA98 splitting time at LDE in the base. I think Biermann will get his shot to show he can snag some of JA98 time, but I still think that it will be between DAvis and JA98 when it comes to playing LDE in the base.

I dont think it is possible for him to be what he was drafted to be, he doesnt relentless motor, undeniable desire to get to the QB, it just doesnt seem to built in him, and that is something that you cant teach.

Maybe he should have been an O lineman, maybe like Michael Oher he doesn't wanna hurt no one and just wants to protect lol.

"That quarterback is gonna kill your family, Jamaal. Are you gonna protect the family?" Maybe that'd work.

I think he could turn it around one day but I don't think it is going to happen in Atlanta.

Maybe he should have been an O lineman, maybe like Michael Oher he doesn't wanna hurt no one and just wants to protect lol.

"That quarterback is gonna kill your family, Jamaal. Are you gonna protect the family?" Maybe that'd work.

Maybe LOL

I think he could turn it around one day but I don't think it is going to happen in Atlanta.

I think he could become a solid 3-4 DE, but i dont see us changing Schemes, I dont think he will ever be a pass rusher though in as 4-3 DE

Tell Smithy that. I would personally rather see Biermann playing in the base package and sub package.

I think, and hope, that will become a reality sooner than later.

I'm torn on this situation. I think Anderson did a less than good, but not awful job in his swing role last year (except for the plays where BVG dropped him into coverage . . . ugh). I wouldn't mind him having a roster spot and filling that role IF he took a pay cut. He's getting paid too much money for his current role, salary cap or no.

I'm baffled by the coaching staff and front office's treatment of the situation though. They've shown that they don't have to be loyal to McKay-era players, and will bench/trade/cut them if they don't perform, but JA98 seems to be the exception. Yes, his playing time was significantly less last year, but he still played alot of snaps. My point being, if Smith and TD really had no confidence in JA98, he'd be riding the pine by now, or gone, not being talked about as being the left end in base packages and moving inside on passing downs.

It is, however, entirely possible that he's an extra insurance policy until Jerry comes back 100% and Babineaux has served his possible suspension. We also drafted Peters for that reason, but he's only one player in Smith's preferred deep D-line rotation, and is only a rookie. I think that if JA98 doesn't produce the first half of the season while Jerry and Babs are possibly gone, upon their return he'll be benched, traded or cut. This is also dependent on the continued development of Bierman and Sidbury. I think the coaches want Bierman to be the eventual starting LE, but until he proves himself a little more he'll be relegated to sub-packages.

Just my humble opinion.

I can't really see us releasing JA98. The guy may not be a great DE, but he is an ok DT and is much more versatile than Johnson. And his versatility is probably a big reason that we will hold on to him.

The reports are saying that the plan is for him to play DE in base packages and kick inside in sub packages so i doubt the guy is going to be cut.

Edited by Clark Kent

I think, and hope, that will become a reality sooner than later.

I'm torn on this situation. I think Anderson did a less than good, but not awful job in his swing role last year (except for the plays where BVG dropped him into coverage . . . ugh). I wouldn't mind him having a roster spot and filling that role IF he took a pay cut. He's getting paid too much money for his current role, salary cap or no.

I'm baffled by the coaching staff and front office's treatment of the situation though. They've shown that they don't have to be loyal to McKay-era players, and will bench/trade/cut them if they don't perform, but JA98 seems to be the exception. Yes, his playing time was significantly less last year, but he still played alot of snaps. My point being, if Smith and TD really had no confidence in JA98, he'd be riding the pine by now, or gone, not being talked about as being the left end in base packages and moving inside on passing downs.

It is, however, entirely possible that he's an extra insurance policy until Jerry comes back 100% and Babineaux has served his possible suspension. We also drafted Peters for that reason, but he's only one player in Smith's preferred deep D-line rotation, and is only a rookie. I think that if JA98 doesn't produce the first half of the season while Jerry and Babs are possibly gone, upon their return he'll be benched, traded or cut. This is also dependent on the continued development of Bierman and Sidbury. I think the coaches want Bierman to be the eventual starting LE, but until he proves himself a little more he'll be relegated to sub-packages.

Just my humble opinion.

I agree I too am baffled considering that where he is swinging to they are players that are better and have played teh position longer than JA98 has, I was understanding when people were saying lets give him more time last year, but at this point I think that keeping JA98 doesnt make much sense to me as a Fan.

Just my humble opinion.

If he proves only adequate at DT and LDE, then he's worth the roster spot for Smitty because that's one less body that needs to be kept for the DL rotation. As long as he's not a liability, they'll employ him.

I'm sure his spot is on the line this year. If Johnson and Walker outperform JA98 and Sidbury/Bierman plays better against the run, JA98 will be cut. I'm sure JA98 knows his situation this year. He's come in this year with more bulk and who knows how he trained in the off-season to improve his game. Then again, he may be the same ol JA98 but at least give the guy a chance.

Jaymadd ima be honest with u.... Its a good chance Thomas Johnson is not going to make the team.... Johnson was good against the run ... No one can deny that (top 10 vs the run) ... Saying that... Its a reason why they went and got Peters.... Besides Babs... We didnt get a pass rush inside....

Some say we should be worried about Peria since we draft Peters .... I think drafting Peters was an indication of what TD and Coach Smith thought of Johnson and Walker (after watching tape)....

Think about it... Even if Peria never came back..... If Johnson and Walker impressed the Coaching Staff... There would not have been a need to draft a DT...

They have sent us a couple of hunts... In a interview today... TD was saying a 3 DT rotation with Babs, Jerry, and Peters... Also Mike Smith or TD was saying a 7 or 8 man rotation with the D-Line.

I think JA98 makes it because of his versatility (right or wrong).... If JA98 show the coaching staff something in TC.... I can see us carrying only 3 DT's (JA98 will be the 4th) .... At the most we carry 4 DT's

I'm sure his spot is on the line this year. If Johnson and Walker outperform JA98 and Sidbury/Bierman plays better against the run, JA98 will be cut. I'm sure JA98 knows his situation this year. He's come in this year with more bulk and who knows how he trained in the off-season to improve his game. Then again, he may be the same ol JA98 but at least give the guy YET ANOTHER chance.

Fixed it for you.