Who Has The Best BBQ---In Atlanta?

Nono

You would think after being in Atlanta for a long time I would have a favorite BBQ, but I can't seem to find a restaurant that satisfies me---To give you a little background, I like the tomato and vinegar based sauces equally---I think Slopes and Johnny's in Gainesville has about the best vinegar BBQ and I am open for any and all suggestions from you guys.

Fox Brothers has the best accoutrements. Brisket taquitoes, tater tots covered with brunswich stew, that sort of thing.

I have always loved Daddy Dz, though it can get a little greasy at times.

Rolling Bones on Edgewood is also very good.

Fox Brothers has the best accoutrements. Brisket taquitoes, tater tots covered with brunswich stew, that sort of thing.

I have always loved Daddy Dz, though it can get a little greasy at times.

Rolling Bones on Edgewood is also very good.

Been to Fox Bros---darn good BBQ and sides Big eats!

Rolling Bones was good too--

Thanks

Guest Regular Guy

I have eaten my fair share of BBQ. I normally say that there is no such thing as bad bbq. There is good and then there is better. I have found some to stay away from though. Rather than tell where not to go, I'll tell you where to go. Wait, not in a bad way. I'll tell where to go to get good bbq :P

This is not Atlanta, but rather a "metro" list.

1) Deans BBQ in Jonesboro (THE best pulled pork sandwich, period....not even close) It's an OLD joint, been around since the 40s. Uses the ONLY real pit left in the state. Why mess with perfection? If it aint broke, don't fix it. He has very few options. Stew, potato chips, cannned drinks and of course sweet tea. No chicken, no ribs, no beef, ONLY pulled pork. Nono, this place has the king of all vinegar based sauces, you'll LOVE it.

2) Mad Dog's BBQ in Conyers. It's in a strip mall behind a Sonic. I had driven past it for years while heading just so slightly down the road to another BBQ joint (more on that in a minute). On the advice of a friend, I gave it a shot. I was mad that I had waited so long to eat this bbq, it was that good! I ate it twice within a few days! He does serve a full line of smoked meat and offers a good choice on sides. He has the best deal going on a family meal. For $17.50 you get 1 1/2 lbs of meat (inside and outside pulled pork, love that bark!!), buns, sauce and choice of 2 sides. His sauce is a little bit odd but it goes great with the pulled pork. It is vinegar and tomatoe based but has a hint of chili powder and cumin. Sounds weird, but my god this "q" is insanely good.

3) Pippin's BBQ in Conyers I mentioned kind of above. I called it "another BBQ joint" but it's far from it. This was my family's staple bbq for years. They have the BEST stew around (ironically, Mad Dog's has a stew that is 98% the same...so good news there!). They, like Mad Dog, serve ribs and such as well as pork. Pippins does CHOPPED pork, either in a plate or a sandwich. The smoked turkey is good too. Their baked beans are not canned, they make them from scratch and they are awesomeness. The sauce here is again a vinegar and tomatoe based deal. Kind of in the vein of Mad Dogs. Neither Pippins nor Mad Dogs sauce is a "runny" sauce like Deans. They are more of a thicker (not like KC Masterpiece mind you) sauce.

4) Hudson's Hickory House in Douglasville or Austell, can't remember. Good pulled pork, decent stew, hand cut french fries (yum!) and a whole sliced dill pickle! The sauce here is very tangy, vinegar based and they are not shy with it! The meat is similar to Wallace (someone mentioned Wallace above) but overall I give Hudson's the nod. The sauce at Hudson's kills Wallace, no contest. This is THE biggest BBQ place I've seen. I thnk it can seat 200 people or more. It's always busy, so that tells ya something right there!

That'll getcha started, each one is different in it's own unique way. I enjoy them all. If I HAD to pick my favorite, it would be Mad Dogs. If I just wanted a great sandwich only, then Dean gets the nod. Give them a shot and you can thank me later :P

Guest Regular Guy

V-ATLGA-55112151_ID224189_guide_inclusion.jpg

I've tried to eat this "BBQ" twice. A more appropriate name would be if you included an "SH" after the word "is" and before the word "it" :o

You would think after being in Atlanta for a long time I would have a favorite BBQ, but I can't seem to find a restaurant that satisfies me---To give you a little background, I like the tomato and vinegar based sauces equally---I think Slopes and Johnny's in Gainesville has about the best vinegar BBQ and I am open for any and all suggestions from you guys.

I really like Shane's Rib Shack.

Guest Regular Guy

Meh...Better than Sonnys

A plate of cow **** is better than Sonnys :lol:

Not that I have eaten cow **** mind you, but I would imagine :D