So I am planning a trip down to ATL from Canada

Hey everyone,

So I have started up savings for a trip down to ATL from up here in Toronto. After the sched got released, I sat down with the girlfriend and went over the dates of games. I have never been to ATL or the dome, so I wanted the best experience possible. We finally settled on the MNF season finale December 27th ATL vs NO. I figured the dome will be all riled up for this one, where it should be a meaningless game for us and the taints will be scrounging for a wildcard birth :lol:

The only other things I have planned are to visit the aquarium and flowery branch.

Any ideas will be really appreciated, especially where to stay (that is affordable) and what to eat. We will be driving down, so anyone who has done a road trip please if you have any tips let me know as it will be my first.

Also the other thread about the good seats in the dome pretty well convinced me to find a pair of seats in the 2nd level, but where should I purchase them? Do you all have scalpers down there like we do up here, they're vultures :lol:

Thanks in advance to anyone who can share a few tips

im not sure bout the seating and all that but im likely going down to the game at Tampa this year my gf wants to go to Florida i just want to know how much a decent ticket is going to cost im also coming from Ontario just bout a 40 min drive from t dot falcons im in Hamilton lol ?

Sometimes attendance is a little low the weekend after Christmas but that should be a good one. In fact you may want to buy your tickets in advance because the scalpers will surely over charge on this one.

Atlanta has a local train called MARTA. This will drop you off right at Falcon's Landing in front of the Dome. Just stay at a hotel near one of the stations. There are a million places to eat.

after christmas the malls are packed with shoppers returning stuff and looking for more bargains for those of us who aren't sick of shopping by then---people love to eat here. I bet you never had southern BBQ and wings while watching sports? There is ton of great eats.

Edited by Nono

What kind of food do you like or dislike? I can recommend a few places that are $, $$, $$$ or even $$$$.

"Must See" include: the two you already mentioned, though I'm not sure how you are going to get in flowery branch during the season maybe someone else can answer that. But definitely need to visit downtown ATL which include Varsity, Coca-cola museum, GA Aquarium and Underground ATL.

I do second the notion of Stone Mountain. If you like the outdoor kind of stuff, walking up the mountain early in the morning to see the sun rise would be a nice way to get things started.

Let us know a little more about what excites you and I'm sure this board members will gladly suggest even more locations.

Hey everyone,

So I have started up savings for a trip down to ATL from up here in Toronto. After the sched got released, I sat down with the girlfriend and went over the dates of games. I have never been to ATL or the dome, so I wanted the best experience possible. We finally settled on the MNF season finale December 27th ATL vs NO. I figured the dome will be all riled up for this one, where it should be a meaningless game for us and the taints will be scrounging for a wildcard birth :lol:

The only other things I have planned are to visit the aquarium and flowery branch.

Any ideas will be really appreciated, especially where to stay (that is affordable) and what to eat. We will be driving down, so anyone who has done a road trip please if you have any tips let me know as it will be my first.

Also the other thread about the good seats in the dome pretty well convinced me to find a pair of seats in the 2nd level, but where should I purchase them? Do you all have scalpers down there like we do up here, they're vultures :lol:

Thanks in advance to anyone who can share a few tips

Hey buddy. As far as seeing the attractions down here I would definitely look into the Atlanta City Pass.

http://www.citypass.com/atlanta

Atlanta CityPass Includes Admission to:

Georgia Aquarium

Plunge into a one-of-a-kind aquatic experience with 120,000+ rare and intriguing animals housed in more than 8 million gallons of water. Our five unique galleries span 500 different species including whale sharks, beluga whales, otters and penguins that comprise an endless display of the most exceptional animals on earth. Experience the fourth dimension at Deepo's Wondershow. Ticket is valid for Deepo Pass which allows walk-in entrance and Deepo's 4-D Theater.

World of Coca-Cola

Experience the rich heritage and global reach of Coca-Cola, the world's most popular soft drink. See the largest permanent collection of Coke memorabilia ever assembled. Sample over 20 different exotic drinks made by Coca-Cola around the world. Visit our Web site for exciting news about the opening of the new World of Coca-Cola at Pemberton Place, summer 2007. Valid for General Admission.

Zoo Atlanta

Your family's wild adventure begins here! Known for its lush naturalistic habitats, Zoo Atlanta offers an exciting collection of animals including rare giant pandas and one of the nation's largest collections of Western lowland gorillas. Valid for General Admission.

Inside CNN Atlanta

Journey into the heart of CNN Worldwide and get an up-close look at global news in the making. Inside CNN Atlanta is a 55-minute guided walking tour offering guests exclusive, behind-the-scenes views of the CNN studios and an exciting glimpse of newsgathering and broadcasting in action at the world's most trusted name in news.

Valid for one Studio Tour.

YOUR CHOICE BETWEEN THESE 2 ATTRACTIONS:

Fernbank Museum of Natural History

Come face to face with the world's largest dinosaurs, discover Georgia's natural history, explore the development of life on Earth, experience the world through interactive exhibits and treat yourself to an IMAX film! (IMAX requires separate admission). Valid for one General Admission; includes Special Exhibitions.

OR

Atlanta Botanical Garden

There's always something blooming in Atlanta's beautiful urban oasis in the heart of Midtown. Explore thirty acres of breathtaking gardens and conservatories including the world's foremost orchid collection and celebrated interactive children's garden.

Valid for General Admission.

AND YOUR CHOICE BETWEEN THESE 2 ATTRACTIONS:

High Museum

Visit the Southeast's largest art museum. You'll see spectacular exhibitions, light-filled contemporary galleries, expressive African masks, a most unusual display of peaches and pears, and much more. Don't miss Louvre Atlanta, opening in October of 2006, with an unprecedented series of exhibitions that will bring hundreds of masterpieces from the Louvre Museum in Paris only to Atlanta. Valid for General Admission plus Louvre Atlanta.

OR

Atlanta History Center

Walk in wondering...walk out in wonder! Explore the history of the South through award-winning exhibitions; the 1845 Tullie Smith Farm and 1928 Swan House mansion; the Centennial Olympic Games Museum; and 33 acres of beautiful gardens and trails. Valid for one General Admission.

CityPass has done all the work so you can save time and money. Each ticket booklet is packed with useful information, such as: complete hours of operation, on-property dining choices, public transportation and special "insider's tips", like the best time to visit each attraction.

It's 74 bucks per person (adults.)

Also it might be a bright idea to check out www.atlantaonthecheap.com.

after christmas the malls are packed with shoppers returning stuff and looking for more bargains for those of us who aren't sick of shopping by then---people love to eat here. I bet you never had southern BBQ and wings while watching sports? There is ton of great eats.

If there is a good place to eat, I know about it!

tdot - I'll take you out to Gladys & Rons's Chicken and Waffles while you are here. One of the more spectacular places in Atlanta to eat. Then we will hit the Vortex for a burger.

If there is a good place to eat, I know about it!

tdot - I'll take you out to Gladys & Rons's Chicken and Waffles while you are here. One of the more spectacular places in Atlanta to eat. Then we will hit the Vortex for a burger.

sounds like a plan!

thanks all, you are really helping with the itinerary, i never thought knew of the underground and coca-cola factory :)

thanks again!

sounds like a plan!

thanks all, you are really helping with the itinerary, i never thought knew of the underground and coca-cola factory :)

thanks again!

The MBGT is another option, but it is usually the first home game. Between 30 & 50 (sometimes more) of us fans get together for a party the weekend of the game and out of towners get together to do more than just the party.

If not, I would suggest you get Rev. Hal to have some of his sausage ready. I ate some of his sausage at one of the MBGT's and it was soooo good I haven't ever forgotten it.

definitely visit the CNN center adjoined to Phillips arena next door to Dome. It's the best place to grab a bite to eat before the game if your not with a tailgating party.

Coca Cola world is pretty sweet, you get to taste Coke products from all over the world.

Georgia Aquarium

Stone Mountain Park (need a full day)

Underground Atlanta

For hotel rooms, I would suggest two general areas to stay: the Buckhead area and the Dunwoody/Perimeter Mall area. (I'm assuming you can locate places on a city map.)

The Buckhead district is roughly in the area from the intersection of Paces Ferry Road/Peachtree Road extending east to the Lenox Square Mall area (just north of the I-85/Georgia Highway 400 interchange.) Plenty of restaurants, clubs, and shopping in this area. Hotel rooms tend to be somewhat pricy on weekends, but compared to some other cities they are not too bad. If you want to be in the center of action in the ATL I'd recommend here.

If you want a reasonably priced room (especially on weekends) in a fairly nice area and don't mind driving some, I would recommend the Dunwoody/Perimeter Mall area. The general area is north of downtown Atlanta in the vicinity of Perimeter Mall (just east of the I-285/Georgia Highway 400 interchange.) Dunwoody is home of a good many corporate regional headquarters, so on weekends many of the area hotels give discounts to attract non-business travelers. There are top grade restaurants and good shopping in the area and in Alpharetta to the north.

I'd recommend not staying in the Atlanta Airport area (College Park/Forest Park areas). The hotels/restaurants/general area are what you might probably expect to find around a busy airport.

Like others have said, definitely grab a burger at The Vortex, and make sure it's the Little 5 Points location. Very cool neighborhood.

Atlantic Station is cool for shopping, as are Buckhead and Dunwoody. I suggest driving down West Paces Ferry Rd. in Buckhead to see all of the mansions (including the Governer's Mansion). There's a lot of nice southern architecture there that you likely don't see much of in Toronto.

Other than The Vortex, some good eats are Taqueria del Sol, Cafe Intermezzo (somewhat romantic for you and the lady), Fellini's Pizza, La Fonda, and Fat Matt's Rib Shack, and of course Waffle House!

Good coffee shops: Octane near Georgia Tech, Joe's in East Atlanta Village, and Cool Beans in Marietta Square.

Good bars if you're under 30: Graveyard Tavern, Moondogs, The Local, Blue Frog Cantina, Star Bar, Eastside Lounge.

For the older crowd, I'm not sure what the good bars are, but there's gotta be some people on here who know!

As far as "seeing the sights": Stone Mountain, Georgia Aquarium, CNN Center, World of Coke, Underground Atlanta (not really a fan, but everybody else seems to like it), and The High Museum are all good bets.

I hope your trip works out well! I just moved out to Los Angeles a couple of weeks ago, and I miss ATL already. :(

Edited by JPA

The MBGT is another option, but it is usually the first home game. Between 30 & 50 (sometimes more) of us fans get together for a party the weekend of the game and out of towners get together to do more than just the party.

If not, I would suggest you get Rev. Hal to have some of his sausage ready. I ate some of his sausage at one of the MBGT's and it was soooo good I haven't ever forgotten it.

Do you have any idea how wrong that sounds!!laugh.gif

You at the sausage from the Cajun Meat Company in Marietta.wink.gif

No need, wasn't offended, just didn't understand. Don't understand the usage of the word skunk, other than the animal which emits the gawd awful odor. Did I miss somthing Bucky Boy ;)

No big deal, skunk is another word for pot which could be offensive. :)

And highly off topic, get it? :lol: