cbs rapid reports 5-9-10

JRid

By Jason Butt

Email a question to Jason Butt

Sunday, May 09, 2010

2:48 pm Owner Arthur Blank was asked if uncertainty about the NFL's collective bargaining agreement with the players had anything to do with this year's draft. He said: "We had a budget we established and a plan that we worked out. We feel good about our investment in our players."

2:47 pm Atlanta's first three picks in this year's draft were college graduates. "Today's game is getting more sophisticated," owner Arthur Blank said. "It's not just the size of the playbook but the complexity of the playbook...You have to be smart, not just football smart."

2:47 pm Falcons owner Arthur Blank on rookie LB Sean Weatherspoon: "He looks great. He's enthusiastic to be here and we're enthusiastic to have him."

2:33 pm Rookie UFA WR Brandyn Harvey was the biggest surprise of minicamp this year. "As long as I keep working hard and making the most of every opportunity then anything can happen," Harvey said. "When you go undrafted you usually have a little bit of a chip on your shoulder."

2:33 pm Kroy Bierman appears to be the one to beat for the starting DE spot. But Biermann said he's only trying to better prepare himself for 2010. "I'm not focusing on that, I'm just trying to get better and work hard," he said.

2:31 pm Three takeaways from minicamp: 1) The defense, already, looks much improved. 2) Michael Turner looks like the 2008 Michael Turner. 3) The only glaring concern is DT Peria Jerry's health, as he still seems banged up from last season's knee injury.

2:30 pm Falcons WR Eric Weems had his best day of minicamp as he saw numerous balls thrown his way, including a nice tight-rope catch along the sideline.

2:28 pm Falcons WR Kerry Meier was held out of today's fifth and final minicamp practice with a tweaked hamstring sustained yesterday. RB Jerious Norwood (hip) and DE Chauncey Davis (knee) also didn't participate.

We are really going to have a battle at the WR spot. I can't wait to see who really steps up and makes it.

Last year I thought people were crazy saying Kelly would beat out Finneran and Finneran would be cut, but this year I'm not so sure because it seems like we have quite a few very talented receivers.

I also agree that Bierman is going to have a great year.

This is the deepest Falcons team that I can remember for some years now. We got guys that won't just make the team because of lack of a better option, they'll make the team this year because they battled at that position to earn.

I know every year there are battles, but this team is deep, the battles should be interesting come training camp

This is the deepest Falcons team that I can remember for some years now. We got guys that won't just make the team because of lack of a better option, they'll make the team this year because they battled at that position to earn.

I know every year there are battles, but this team is deep, the battles should be interesting come training camp

Well said and I agree, this is one of the deepest Falcons team that I can recall.

>>

2:31 pm Three takeaways from minicamp: 1) The defense, already, looks much improved. 2) Michael Turner looks like the 2008 Michael Turner. 3) The only glaring concern is DT Peria Jerry's health, as he still seems banged up from last season's knee injury.

<<

The Perry news concerns me.

Meh... worst case, it sounds like we put him on PUP and we get him back after the bye. He's fresh for the last half of the season and down the stretch for the playoffs. We have the depth to get by without him for a little while, and I think we're improved in enough other spots on the Defense to make it through the first 8 weeks with a good record.

I've got a feeling it's going to be very tough to make the decision on which WRs to keep. This may be the year we lose Finn.

I agree with you....he's pobably done. Too many yougsters to beat out this time around. Finn has the heart of a champion. I hope the Falcons can find a way to use him in the organization. He's a classy guy who ALWAYS gave 100%.