Falcon's Mini-Camp

ballfan

I attended the Saturday MORNING session. For those of you unable to, or that have never been, let me try to describe the event. The Falcons training camp is First Class. Facilities are new and beautiful. The organization is detailed, down to the minute. I spoke to security people and player’s family and league-wide the Falcons have gained a reputation for becoming an extremely well run operation. They want the visitors to be excited and involved. I haven’t been to any other NFL training camps in the last 10 years, but the access to the players after practice is fantastic.

Basically there are two football fields (plus an indoor field) and the drills are happening (by position) all over the entire facility at one time. The fans are separated by a simple rope. It is clear that the players are schooled on interacting with fans, but it is more than just PR. These guys are happy to take time to talk, take pictures and sign autographs.

The first players out in the morning were the special teamers. As you can see by some of the pictures posted by others, they even clowned with the kids a bit. The players tend to stay with their position group all day (D-Line, O-Line, LB’s, DB’s, QB’s and receivers, RB’s). Kickers and long snappers say away from everyone else most of the day. The most fun for fans comes during the 1:1 Passing drills (constant rotation of receivers, QB’s and DB’s) and the live (no pads, no tackling) 7:7 and 11:11 scrimmage.

It is almost impossible to judge much about how well linemen are doing (al least for me since I am watching the passing and running).

I’m going to write my observations in separate posts, but I wanted to encourage anyone interested, to come out to the open practices. If you like football, or the Falcons, or want to see and NFL practice, you will not be disappointed. It is a wholesome environment with a few snacks and distractions for little ones, and FOOTBALL for those going through withdrawal.

I attended the Saturday MORNING session. For those of you unable to, or that have never been, let me try to describe the event. The Falcons training camp is First Class. Facilities are new and beautiful. The organization is detailed, down to the minute. I spoke to security people and player’s family and league-wide the Falcons have gained a reputation for becoming an extremely well run operation. They want the visitors to be excited and involved. I haven’t been to any other NFL training camps in the last 10 years, but the access to the players after practice is fantastic.

Basically there are two football fields (plus an indoor field) and the drills are happening (by position) all over the entire facility at one time. The fans are separated by a simple rope. It is clear that the players are schooled on interacting with fans, but it is more than just PR. These guys are happy to take time to talk, take pictures and sign autographs.

The first players out in the morning were the special teamers. As you can see by some of the pictures posted by others, they even clowned with the kids a bit. The players tend to stay with their position group all day (D-Line, O-Line, LB’s, DB’s, QB’s and receivers, RB’s). Kickers and long snappers say away from everyone else most of the day. The most fun for fans comes during the 1:1 Passing drills (constant rotation of receivers, QB’s and DB’s) and the live (no pads, no tackling) 7:7 and 11:11 scrimmage.

It is almost impossible to judge much about how well linemen are doing (al least for me since I am watching the passing and running).

I’m going to write my observations in separate posts, but I wanted to encourage anyone interested, to come out to the open practices. If you like football, or the Falcons, or want to see and NFL practice, you will not be disappointed. It is a wholesome environment with a few snacks and distractions for little ones, and FOOTBALL for those going through withdrawal.

I totally agree. I've posted my (apparently wrong) football observations elsewhere, but I was also genuinely impressed with the whole atmosphere.

It's difficult to articulate (though you did well) the overall professionalism of the camp. Even the security guards were top notch . . . as I found out when one went after my six year old who I let run around on the hill just outside the fence.

When you consider the logistics of what was happening out there, and observe the crispness, the courtesy and intensity . . . . Well, it made me think about "the process," EVERYONE is part of it. The Falcons are an excellent organization.

I totally agree. I've posted my (apparently wrong) football observations elsewhere, but I was also genuinely impressed with the whole atmosphere.

It's difficult to articulate (though you did well) the overall professionalism of the camp. Even the security guards were top notch . . . as I found out when one went after my six year old who I let run around on the hill just outside the fence.

When you consider the logistics of what was happening out there, and observe the crispness, the courtesy and intensity . . . . Well, it made me think about "the process," EVERYONE is part of it. The Falcons are an excellent organization.

I think this helps anyone who has never been to one. It is just not possible to see everything.

I also asked the guard on the way out from the morning practice (I had to go to a wedding- no, not mine!)how many people were on hand and he said, just under a thousand. I'm sure the afternoon was more crowded. As you can see from photos other people post, there is a huge hill that provides great seating. Many people bring chairs too. Some of us idiots stand the whole time.

I usually go every year to several - but this year I'll have to wait for the training camp open practices - due to other obligations.

I agree though, that going is a lot of fun and I miss it terribly already. Can't wait for training camp this year. I miss that long walk from the parking area over to the facility :)