Matt Ryan Is Right!

Let me start by saying he didn't predict 12 or 13 wins in 2010. From what I read he said we are closer to 12 or 13 wins than 8 wins and 12 wins sounds good. Can someone tell me how that is predicting 12 wins?

Anyway I believe he is right.

We got 11 wins in 2008 and could have easily won these games:

DEN@ATL - lost 24-20. Run defense was porous. Ryan threw a crucial pick

ATL@NO - lost 29-25. Got beat in the 4th quarter. Run defense was weak again. Ryan threw another bad pick

We got 9 wins in 2009 and could have easily won these four games:

ATL@NO - lost 35-27. Defense gave up a 21 point 2nd quarter. Run defense failed. Ryan threw 3 picks. Still had a chance

ATL@NYG - lost 34-31. Couldn't run the ball. Pass defense was awful. Jenkins dropped a go ahead TD late in the game

ATL@CAR - lost 28-19. Run defense porous again. Elam two stepped a kick. Still we were down 2 points with the ball in CAR territory and threw a pick on 1st down with maybe three minutes left. Then the defense gives up the big run

NO@ATL - lost 26-23. Ryan, Turner, Williams, Jerry and Moore hurt. Couldn't run the ball. Redman had a crucial pick and went to Snelling for one yard on a 4th and 2 back breaker.

Looks to me like he is right. We are close. Got to run the ball, stop the run and stop throwing the picks in crucial games. Mostly on the road. Many against division foes. Stop that and we're outta here.

Let me start by saying he didn't predict 12 or 13 wins in 2010. From what I read he said we are closer to 12 or 13 wins than 8 wins and 12 wins sounds good. Can someone tell me how that is predicting 12 wins?

ATL@NO - lost 29-25. Got beat in the 4th quarter. Run defense was weak again. Ryan threw another bad pick

ATL@NO - lost 35-27. Defense gave up a 21 point 2nd quarter. Run defense failed. Ryan threw 3 picks. Still had a chance

ATL@NYG - lost 34-31. Couldn't run the ball. Pass defense was awful. Jenkins dropped a go ahead TD late in the game

ATL@CAR - lost 28-19. Run defense porous again. Elam two stepped a kick. Still we were down 2 points with the ball in CAR territory and threw a pick on 1st down with maybe three minutes left. Then the defense gives up the big run

NO@ATL - lost 26-23. Ryan, Turner, Williams, Jerry and Moore hurt. Couldn't run the ball. Redman had a crucial pick and went to Snelling for one yard on a 4th and 2 back breaker.

Looks to me like he is right. We are close. Got to run the ball, stop the run and stop throwing the picks in crucial games. Mostly on the road. Many against division foes. Stop that and we're outta here.

Honestly that is not going to happen as long as you idiots keep calling him "Matty Ice". With a ******** nickname like that the guy is destined for failure. That is the singularly worst nickname in NFL history.

Unless the dude cruises the strip on the weekend in his '85 Mustang with his hair all flipped up in the front and crashes parties that Sug Knight is holding and gets dangled off a balcony, that nickname screams of failure.

Honestly that is not going to happen as long as you idiots keep calling him "Matty Ice". With a ******** nickname like that the guy is destined for failure. That is the singularly worst nickname in NFL history.

Unless the dude cruises the strip on the weekend in his '85 Mustang with his hair all flipped up in the front and crashes parties that Sug Knight is holding and gets dangled off a balcony, that nickname screams of failure.

dr2_8_168gif1.gif

i cant even comprehend the stupidity i just read

FF70 is my homie too, but i have to disagree...

The whole strength of your team is your "power offense"(if you wana call it that), and all that rests on if an injury prone FB/Rb can have another 1500yd season. 13 wins is a biggg dish to ask for, why dont you look at the "kiddie" menu first, that way you wont be so disappointed in the end. :)

(neg the other post 500 million times please) :)

In '08 we could of easily beat the Eagles if it weren't for the horrible call on the punt return.

Just a couple of observations

That Denver game was ours if Roddy makes that catch in the endzone. That was probably the closest game we had as a loss.

The 3 picks in the NO game is misleading - go back and watch it again. One was a clear PI not called - knocked the receiver down even and the last was a last second desperation throw. Only one of the picks in this game was legitimately a bad throw.

Giants game - if the Ref hadn't "dropped" the coin (how convenient) - and if we had won the toss - this could have been our game as well - we came alive at the end of this game

I am very proud of the team for how they performed last year against ALL KINDS of adversity.

But this "we were very close to being 11-5" stuff sort of makes me crazy.

By any objective standard, we were much closer to being 7-9 than 11-5.

Remember, we won two games on last minute fourth down touchdowns . . . when we were TRAILING.

We had to rely on Jay Feely's Christian Charity for his old teammates to avoid 8-8. (Or does it only count when OUR kicker has a bad game?)

I love the Falcons. We had a great season in 2009. But we were what we were.

We were 9-7.

Edited by duckettpleaze

I am very proud of the team for how they performed last year against ALL KINDS of adversity.

But this "we were very close to being 11-5" stuff sort of makes me crazy.

By any objective standard, we were much closer to being 7-9 than 11-5.

Remember, we won two games on last minute fourth down touchdowns . . . when we were TRAILING.

We had to rely on Jay Feely's Christian Charity for his old teammates to avoid 8-8. (Or does it only count when OUR kicker has a bad game?)

I love the Falcons. We had a great season in 2009. But we were what we were.

We were 9-7.

Objectively, how can you say we were closer? If we were a play away from 2 extra wins or a play away from 2 extra losses - how objective is it to take the worse case scenario and apply it as the most likely scenario?

I agree that we finished as we finished.

I also feel however that we are a different team with a different mindset and that if this had been the "old" Falcons facing the schedule, injuries and road fatigue of this team - we would likely have been 3-13.

Just a couple of observations

That Denver game was ours if Roddy makes that catch in the endzone. That was probably the closest game we had as a loss.

The 3 picks in the NO game is misleading - go back and watch it again. One was a clear PI not called - knocked the receiver down even and the last was a last second desperation throw. Only one of the picks in this game was legitimately a bad throw.

Giants game - if the Ref hadn't "dropped" the coin (how convenient) - and if we had won the toss - this could have been our game as well - we came alive at the end of this game

Which is a refreshing thing to see, overall, compared to years past, when the whole team would mail it in if they were trailing 5 mins into the 4th quarter...

Objectively, how can you say we were closer? If we were a play away from 2 extra wins or a play away from 2 extra losses - how objective is it to take the worse case scenario and apply it as the most likely scenario?

I agree that we finished as we finished.

I also feel however that we are a different team with a different mindset and that if this had been the "old" Falcons facing the schedule, injuries and road fatigue of this team - we would likely have been 3-13.

We are totally a different team. It's good to be a Falcon fan these days. No doubt.

The old Falcons would have lost the games our kicker screwed up AND the games we needed TD's on fourth down to win!

Teams are what their records prove them to be. We won the games we could and lost the games that we couldn't and were a 9-7 team. It all comes down to who makes the plays and missed field goals, non-calls, and coin flips have to be overcome. In the end, the team that wins 11 games in the last 10 seconds will make the playoffs over the team that dominates 11 games but screws the pooch in the last 10 seconds.

All that matters is what's on each side of the won-loss column, not the quality or closeness of the contest when the book is closed.

I am keeping my expectations in check this year but I will tell you one thing that is exciting to me. Last year is the first time a Falcons team ever won 9 games and it felt like the team underpermed and the season was a disappointment.

You have to figure at worst this team is going to be as good as it was last year, and if that is the case, it should be able to put up a better record without the rediculous schedule of last season.

Edited by Peyton

I like the fact that we now have depth at most positions, especially on defense. Hopefully, we can get key players off of the field at strategic moments so that they will be less susceptible to injury. The Franks and Peters pickups may be the most important in the draft, IMO. I am also hyped for the season and we've got four more months before it kicks off. :(

Let me start by saying he didn't predict 12 or 13 wins in 2010.

It's stupid for a player to predict wins anyway. I remember a story I heard about Pete Rose when he asked a teammate how they thought they would do in the game that day. When the players said he thinks he will go 2 for 4, Pete Rose then asked the guy "well, which 2 at bats are you conceding to the other team?"

If Ryan had said he thinks they will be 12-4, the first question would have been "Which 4 games do you think we would lose?" ...and then we should start somebody who actually thought we could win those games.

Having said all that, I agree with him. This team is talented enough and has the right schedule to be closer to 13 wins them 8. And to be closer to 13 then to 8 would mean winning at least 11 games. Based on the talent of the team (including what we know players are right now and what we think they could be) and baring any major injuries at key or talent thin spots, 11 wins is very doable.

agree with Tandy and FFS1970, we had some games that got away from us in sickening ways and ref calls, could of easily got 11 wins.

That said, you take the rough and smooth, and smooth gets forgotten a lot quicker!

I expect a great year from us, we are starting to look like a scary team

It's stupid for a player to predict wins anyway. I remember a story I heard about Pete Rose when he asked a teammate how they thought they would do in the game that day. When the players said he thinks he will go 2 for 4, Pete Rose then asked the guy "well, which 2 at bats are you conceding to the other team?"

If Ryan had said he thinks they will be 12-4, the first question would have been "Which 4 games do you think we would lose?" ...and then we should start somebody who actually thought we could win those games.

Having said all that, I agree with him. This team is talented enough and has the right schedule to be closer to 13 wins them 8. And to be closer to 13 then to 8 would mean winning at least 11 games. Based on the talent of the team (including what we know players are right now and what we think they could be) and baring any major injuries at key or talent thin spots, 11 wins is very doable.

I agree 100%. I remember two years ago when we were a consensus pick to go 1-15, I kept wondering who the "experts" thought we could beat and why that team was not picked to go 0-16. (That seems like a million years ago, BTW.) People need to realize that predictions are just speculation and what Ryan said was not tantamount to him predicting our record.

Thanks for bringing the NO game up. I was about to in my post but then I saw yours. Actually none of his throws were bad. Like you said the first was PI not called, second the ball was tipped (would have gone right to Tony G) and then third of course was the hail mary which is bound to be picked off no matter who the QB is.

Just wanted to clear that up haha. I hate when people talk about Ryan's 3 picks being the reason we lost Monday night.

People always like to consider the games that "could have easily been won" if only we'd made one more play, had one less bad call, etc.

I think it's a wash. Consider the games we DID win, that maybe we shouldn't have won. Especially '08. Bears game... shouldn't have won that. We won in the Metrodome. If Adrian Peterson doesn't fumble 4 times, I don't see us winning that. And so on, and so forth.