Biermann could benefit from Jamaal Anderson's swing role in Falcons' 2010 defense

atljbo

Biermann could benefit from Jamaal Anderson's swing role in Falcons' 2010 defense

By Charles Odum (CP) – 3 hours ago

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. — Kroy Biermann could be John Abraham's new pass-rush complement at defensive end for the Atlanta Falcons.

Biermann, a third-year player who was a surprise with five sacks last season, is in position for a more prominent role in 2010 with Jamaal Anderson working at defensive tackle and end in minicamp.

The Falcons tied for 26th in the NFL with only 28 sacks in 2009, according to STATS, LLC.

Biermann, a fifth-round pick from Montana in 2008, has seven sacks in his first two years.

"I think that Kroy has done a nice job, being a fifth-round draft pick, to have the production that he's had his first two years," coach Mike Smith said Saturday.

Biermann may be on the verge of winning a starting job, but he said he's working like a rookie in minicamp.

"I still look at it the same," Biermann said. "I got the opportunity when I first came here to make the team and that's still what I'm trying to do."

Abraham said Biermann has earned his opportunity.

"Biermann has matured a lot and he's showing it on the field and he's also showing it out here," Abraham said. "He wants to play and he wants to be a starter. He's kind of pushing everybody and he's giving the coaches something to look at."

Lawrence Sidbury, a second-year defensive end, also could win more playing time.

Anderson, the No. 8 overall pick in 2007, has only 2 1/2 sacks in 44 career starts, including one-half sack last season. He said he expects to spend more time at defensive tackle than at end.

Anderson's continued struggles were accompanied by Abraham's dropoff from his career-best 16 1/2 sacks in 2008 to only 5 1/2 last year. Abraham turned 32 on Thursday.

"It's time for us to try to be the strength of the defence and not the weakness," Abraham said. "Last year some people played better, but I don't think everybody played up to their potential. I call myself out for that. But I don't think it's just one person on the D-line. I think everybody on the line has got to step up and play better."

Abraham issued a challenge for Anderson.

"I think for him, and I'm not even trying to be like rude about it, I think you've got to play, you've got to get on the field," Abraham said. "Everybody expects a lot from him and he's got to step up."

Abraham also challenged himself.

"Even for me, if I come up with another 5 1/2-sacks year, they're gonna be like 'He says he's still good but it's not showing up,'" he said. "So you've got to do something to keep yourself on the field."

Abraham said he worried after the 2009 season about his drop in sacks.

"I watched myself on tape," he said. "I was thinking maybe I'm losing something, so let me check. So I sat down and watched tape. I think I'm playing at my potential so I still think I'm a valuable player for this team.

"I didn't play bad last year. When I watched the tape, I didn't feel like I lost a step or played bad."

Anderson said he can't argue with the team giving the undersized but aggressive Biermann (6-3, 260) a chance to boost the pass rush.

"I understand he made a lot of plays last year and we've got to have some way to put him in," Anderson said. "If it means me moving inside, I have no problem doing that. I'm just trying to help this team win and moving doesn't really matter."

The six-foot-six Anderson said he gained 15 pounds, from 275 to 290, for the new swing role. He saw limited snaps inside last season.

"This is the first time that they've really taken the step to make me more inside than outside and I feel pretty comfortable right now," Anderson said. "I think I got great experience playing inside last year. I'm just continuing to grow at this position and hopefully I can be a valuable asset to this team."

General manager Thomas Dimitroff said two young defensive tackles — 2009 first-round pick Peria Jerry and this year's third-round pick, Corey Peters — can help the outside rush by providing more pressure inside. Jerry is not participating in the minicamp after missing most of his rookie season because of a knee injury.

"We feel very strongly about our young guys," Dimitroff said after the draft. "We want to continue to develop Lawrence Sidbury. Obviously Kroy Biermann is a guy who can give us legitimate pressure. We truly believe as an organization that John Abraham still has the ability to get up the field and around the corner."

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gritz

Good article.....

In my opinion though, I sure would have liked to have seen Anderson fight for that starting defensive end job, instead of just kind of meekly accepting that Biermann was going to take it from him.....

Indicative of a large part of Anderson's problem.

He just doesn't want it like Biermann does.

Good article.....

In my opinion though, I sure would have liked to have seen Anderson fight for that starting defensive end job, instead of just kind of meekly accepting that Biermann was going to take it from him.....

that could be situation. but its possible that the coaching staff have come to terms with the fact that he wont be the impact DE he was drafted to be. if thats the case, the coaching staff seems to be wanting to salvage what they can by moving him inside. Anderson may not see the DE spot as his position anymore. or he could just be lazy :lol:

Good article.....

Ive always thought JA98 was a 3-4 DE... Him bulking up to 290lbs and playing DT may be best... I honestly felt like he played better at DT... If he can develop as a DT... That would be big for us.... He will never be an impact DE but as a DT ..He has huge potential.

I really think Kroy and Sid will impress.....

I also... I love how Abe kept it real dealing with himself, JA98, and Kroy

Good article.....

You nailed it. Here's the difference I see. Abe made a comment about JA in year 2 that JA is finally listening to him. It sounded very strongly that JA came in like a lot of highly touted draft prospects and thought he knew better than everyone else. It's good he sounds like a team player now accepting his role inside but it also sounds like he settled and lacks the drive to succeed.

The Beerman on the other hand came in at 246lb obviously a bit light for DE not to mention an underdog at a smaller school. In training camp last year I remember him talking about how he added 20 lb's of good weight. That to me sounds like some serious dedication in the offseason. Well guess what it showed in his second year. About a month ago he's still talking about being hungry and making his mark. He said he is at his ideal weight of 260lbs.

Most players know the right things to say but I think it is a select core that walk the walk. The only player I have ever toasted with a beer in the stands when he gets a sack instead of high fiving those around me. B) He deserves everything he has worked for.

Good article.....

that's what I thought too...

hey Jamaal, he's going to take your job and you don't care???

haha a 290 pound Jamaal Anderson. I guess he didn't have any trouble putting on that weight during the off season. Way to go JA! I wonder if he got all giddy when they told him to pump up to 300 pounds. He was probably thinking, "Thank you so very much, now I can eat more of the crap I already have been eating.: Good luck JA 98 or as I like his name being called Busterson.

I cant believe im taking up for JA98 but i dont see it how you guys see it.... They told the man to bulk up to 290lbs.... The decision is made..... All he can do is accept it..... I also think its the best thing for him....

haha a 290 pound Jamaal Anderson. I guess he didn't have any trouble putting on that weight during the off season. Way to go JA! I wonder if he got all giddy when they told him to pump up to 300 pounds. He was probably thinking, "Thank you so very much, now I can eat more of the crap I already have been eating.: Good luck JA 98 or as I like his name being called Busterson.

I heard its not bad weight tho..... We will see what he does tho.

I really like what I saw from Anderson at DT. He actually look really quick at DT and too slow at DE. I think we have found a home for him. If it doesn't workout, then we can cut our loses and cut him. But if it does workout we just help our D-line rotation.

Both Kroy and Sid looked really good today. Especially Kroy. I'm excited about the rotation.

Anderson's a good kid and he's still really young, fourth year coming up and I think he's still 23. He still has a chance to be an NFL caliber player. He's got a pretty good attitude, he knows he hasn't gotten the job done yet as a DE and is willing to move around without complaining if it helps the team. I know most will argue he doesn't have a choice if he wants to be a part of the team, and that's true. But he could be a distraction but he isn't.

Yeah, he didn't just decide to bulk up to 290. Coaches told him he would be playing more DT so get bigger.

I would hope he can hold his own with OL at 290. His training at DE penetration has to help him somewhere trying to penetrate as a DT. Maybe we can get him to 315 and at NT he won't worry about overrunning the side of the QB, he can just blow straight up the middle and flush him into Abe or Biermann.

He was always good v. run, he is just not agile enough, which is the difference between that one guy able to bring down the QB with a fingertip grab that another guy whifs on. And the fact he's always a 1/4 step later than the snap.

I cant believe im taking up for JA98 but i dont see it how you guys see it.... They told the man to bulk up to 290lbs.... The decision is made..... All he can do is accept it..... I also think its the best thing for him....

I agree he is being a good sport about it and for all of the scrutiny he has received he didn't freak out and turn into Ryan Leaf about the situation over the last couple of years. I think it is an inborn trait that a DE should have tenacity, ferocity, and obviously intensity but not complacency. Some guys just aren't wired that way. He sounds more like a run plug in the middle type. After TE and DE he may finally find his home at DT but that list necessarily got more talented and longer this year. Undrafted rookies filling the starting role is pretty dicey.

i'm sorry but i just want JA98's sorry *** off this team. i know i'm usually the positive one on the board that holds out hope on a player until the very end, but he doesn't want it IMO.

JA98 just doesn't seem like he really wants to be great...or improve at all. maybe it's just me but he always comes off as real nonchalant about things. he even sounds that way in this article. it's like "oh, yea biermann's made more plays than me last year, so he can have my job and i'll just move inside and try to do alright there"

again maybe it's just me, but i don't think he's working like the top guys on this team (ryan, white, gonzo, turner, abe, lofton, pete, spoon, biermann, sid, etc.) when was the last time we heard about how hard anderson was working at practice, or how good he looked in drills, or how much he looks like he's improved, etc? JA98 just doesn't seem like he wants it like those guys.

i'm sorry but i just want JA98's sorry *** off this team. i know i'm usually the positive one on the board that holds out hope on a player until the very end, but he doesn't want it IMO.

JA98 just doesn't seem like he really wants to be great...or improve at all. maybe it's just me but he always comes off as real nonchalant about things. he even sounds that way in this article. it's like "oh, yea biermann's made more plays than me last year, so he can have my job and i'll just move inside and try to do alright there"

again maybe it's just me, but i don't think he's working like the top guys on this team (ryan, white, gonzo, turner, abe, lofton, pete, spoon, biermann, sid, etc.) when was the last time we heard about how hard anderson was working at practice, or how good he looked in drills, or how much he looks like he's improved, etc? JA98 just doesn't seem like he wants it like those guys.

Just because he hasn't been productive statistically doesn't mean he doesn't want it or he doesn't work hard. None of us know what kind of time he puts in, I heard he worked his *** off last off-season and it just didn't pay off. He just doesn't have that kind of ability for the NFL. Sometimes players just don't work out the way you expect, sometimes they can move somewhere else and be much more productive.

Like I said, he's still really young and was a TE when he got to college. He's not going anywhere this season so anyone calling for his head may as well get over it.

agreed....not sure where the others are coming from on the thread.

If JA98 can become a dominate DT then I don't care if he isn't a good pass rushing DE as long as he can be one of the best players at the DT position, just remember Mora tried Babs out at DE also. And who knows he could break out this yr with the weight he added, but we'll see .

that's what I thought too...

hey Jamaal, he's going to take your job and you don't care???

Kroy already took his job. Now he's trying to stay on the team. It seems that Jamaal is being a good sport about the situation and taking one for the team, but the coaches have already made their decision.

I can't predict how Jamaal will do at DT but if he helps us win games, leave him there. Otherwise, cut him.