Afternoon Training Camp

Meier stood out the most to me. He's quick and sharp in his routes and very physical. Standing next to Finneran he's a slightly shorter but beefier. Ryan threw one up top when he was surrounded by 4 DB's and he wrestled the ball away at the highest point. He also made Grimes look foolish on another play. Spoon was rotating in and out and I was a little distracted with my son so nothing really stood out that I saw. Douglas was out there finally.

As for autographs my son and I finally got Roddy's after all these years and also Weatherspoon's. Regarding all of the 30 to 50 year old men shoving past my 6 year old son to get Ryan's autograph I can only assume your mother is ashamed to have raised you. It's a little sad that I have to speak up to supposedly grown men to act better than that. Didn't really dampen the experience. Just another learning experience for my son on how to act.

i thought i read that Meier was dropping a lot of balls.

You have to keep in mind that people are going to write about what they think they see. So if you can't be there (like myself) then you have to take everything posted here with a grain of salt.

Everything's subjective during camp.

Meier stood out the most to me. He's quick and sharp in his routes and very physical. Standing next to Finneran he's a slightly shorter but beefier. Ryan threw one up top when he was surrounded by 4 DB's and he wrestled the ball away at the highest point. He also made Grimes look foolish on another play. Spoon was rotating in and out and I was a little distracted with my son so nothing really stood out that I saw. Douglas was out there finally.

As for autographs my son and I finally got Roddy's after all these years and also Weatherspoon's. Regarding all of the 30 to 50 year old men shoving past my 6 year old son to get Ryan's autograph I can only assume your mother is ashamed to have raised you. It's a little sad that I have to speak up to supposedly grown men to act better than that. Didn't really dampen the experience. Just another learning experience for my son on how to act.

Well, it wasn't 4 DBs, it was 2, but they had good position and had their hands up. It was the loudest eruption that I remember from the crowd there. I left before the autograph portion of the camp.

The only balls I saw him drop were: on an over-the-shoulder diving attempt in the far corner of the endzone with Dunta on his hip pocket (great coverage and would have been a spectacular catch had he pulled it in - as it was, still a remarkable attempt and he just about had it) and the other was a poorly thrown ball, high over the middle, in between 3 defenders where Meier had to stretch out with one hand to make the attempt (again, very difficult catch and would have been a spectacular play if he had made it).

Now, I missed the afternoon practice, but Meier looked real good in the morning.

You have to keep in mind that people are going to write about what they think they see. So if you can't be there (like myself) then you have to take everything posted here with a grain of salt.

Since there are multiple groups going at one time it is quite possible I missed something. I saw him drop one in the afternoon practive. Is it possible that was the AM practice I was not there. The point I was trying to make is he is big, fast, and very physical unlike Jenkins who when I observed sat down on his route once again and cradled the ball instead of catching away from his body.

good point. wish i was able to see everything for myself :(

The only balls I saw him drop were: on an over-the-shoulder diving attempt in the far corner of the endzone with Dunta on his hip pocket (great coverage and would have been a spectacular catch had he pulled it in - as it was, still a remarkable attempt and he just about had it) and the other was a poorly thrown ball, high over the middle, in between 3 defenders where Meier had to stretch out with one hand to make the attempt (again, very difficult catch and would have been a spectacular play if he had made it).

Now, I missed the afternoon practice, but Meier looked real good in the morning.

good to hear. thanks for that.

In the AM practice, there was a drill where Meier kept getting stuck with Shockley or JPW throwing behind him or in the dirt or nowhere close to him & he missed some catches. None of them really hit his hands though. If it came near his hands, he caught it. There was another drill where they bumped off 2 defenders (players holding big pads slamming them into the receivers trying to distract them) & spun around & some coach was whipping the ball at them from 10-15 feet away & he missed like 2 of those. But they weren't good throws & it was a rediculously hard drill. Everyone was missing balls during it.

Other than that, Meier made crazy good catches in normal situations. And almost made a couple that would have just been outragous. The one he made in heavy coverage at the top of a high leap & held on to it while getting hit was amazing.

The kid is gonna be special, just wait.

Edited by Beef Jerky

In the AM practice, there was a drill where Meier kept getting stuck with Shockley or JPW throwing behind him or in the dirt or nowhere close to him & he missed some catches. None of them really hit his hands though. If it came near his hands, he caught it. There was another drill where they bumped off 2 defenders (players holding big pads slamming them into the receivers trying to distract them) & spun around & some coach was whipping the ball at them from 10-15 feet away & he missed like 2 of those. But they weren't good throws & it was a rediculously hard drill. Everyone was missing balls during it.

Other than that, Meier made crazy good catches in normal situations. And almost made a couple that would have just been outragous. The one he made in heavy coverage at the top of a high leap & held on to it while getting hit was amazing.

The kid is gonna be special, just wait.

Thank you. I couldn't make it to the AM practice. I was just trying to share and then I get the 3rd degree and questioned on what I saw from people who were not even there. SMFH I didn't say the kid was going to the Pro Bowl I just said he is physical and made a tough grab with as I recall more than 2 DB's on him.

This is mini camp overload.

Just wait for OTAs, training camp and preseason.

By then your head will be swimming.

You will have contradictory posts not only from overzealous message boarders but from national writers, AJC bloggers and beat writers.

Most of the people they hype will get cut or sent to the PS. Trust me.

As a 51yo father of a 5 year old, I would have taught them better there and then on the spot. I won't call 'em my peers but males at that age acting like that to a kid are not the men they should be. I bet they still flip baseball cards for pixie stix and fantasize about Wonder Woman... B)

Did Matt sign any autographs for any children at all? I was with 5 kids (my 3 plus a couple more), and they were begging for his autograph. One of the moms standing next to me was furious because he didn't sign anything for the kids (where we were), and I tried to explain to my son that he was a very popular player and he just ran out of time.

Did Matt sign any autographs for any children at all? I was with 5 kids (my 3 plus a couple more), and they were begging for his autograph. One of the moms standing next to me was furious because he didn't sign anything for the kids (where we were), and I tried to explain to my son that he was a very popular player and he just ran out of time.

IMO...The reason Ryan might not of signed many autographs goes back to the OP's point about the 50 year old men acting like idiots. Usually, these are folks who get autographs and then sell them online. Many of these autograph hounds pay kids to do their bidding for them. It's disgusting.

IMO...The reason Ryan might not of signed many autographs goes back to the OP's point about the 50 year old men acting like idiots. Usually, these are folks who get autographs and then sell them online. Many of these autograph hounds pay kids to do their bidding for them. It's disgusting.

It just seems to me that signing for adults while ignoring children is a little classless, and those 50 year olds are old enough to know better than to cut in line in front of the kids. That's shameful. :( It broke my heart hearing one little boy say, "Please, Mr. Ryan, sign my football". And he never came over. It'll probably be a very long time before I forget that.

It just seems to me that signing for adults while ignoring children is a little classless, and those 50 year olds are old enough to know better than to cut in line in front of the kids. That's shameful. :( It broke my heart hearing one little boy say, "Please, Mr. Ryan, sign my football". And he never came over. It'll probably be a very long time before I forget that.

Something to keep in mind is that Ryan may or may not have heard those kids or even noticed what items he was signing. If you see the pictures from Ryan's point of view or any players point of view it's pretty overwhelming with the amount of items being shoved at him. That's not an excuse for adults to act like morons, if they were smart they'd know to let the kids get the autographs first, players and celebs are more likely to sign for more people if the crowd is more orderly. As someone that's collected autographs from an early age into adulthood I can honestly say that there aren't too many Pros at the Falcons practices but you can spot them easily, they'll have different pens and have multiple items to sign. *usually

Bottom line is Ryan IS a popular player, don't put the blame on him, he can only do so much in an open environment like that. I do wish that the Falcons would extend the autograph period by a few minutes or have someone walking with the popular players to keep things more orderly.

Something to keep in mind is that Ryan may or may not have heard those kids or even noticed what items he was signing. If you see the pictures from Ryan's point of view or any players point of view it's pretty overwhelming with the amount of items being shoved at him. That's not an excuse for adults to act like morons, if they were smart they'd know to let the kids get the autographs first, players and celebs are more likely to sign for more people if the crowd is more orderly. As someone that's collected autographs from an early age into adulthood I can honestly say that there aren't too many Pros at the Falcons practices but you can spot them easily, they'll have different pens and have multiple items to sign. *usually

Bottom line is Ryan IS a popular player, don't put the blame on him, he can only do so much in an open environment like that. I do wish that the Falcons would extend the autograph period by a few minutes or have someone walking with the popular players to keep things more orderly.

That's what I told my son. I told him that he's a popular player and that he ran out of time. And I don't disagree with anything you said, but Matt wasn't that far from where we were, and several players were walking along the rope. I even remember feeling a bit sorry for Matt because of all the attention he was receiving. And, if he did hear those kids and ignored them anyway, then that makes it even worse. :(

Pretty sure they are only alloted so much time to sign, they probably have more stuff to do to help win a Superbowl so if some people don't get an autograph, that's just the way it is. Whether it's a child or not, it sucks, but they have a job and sometimes as a celebrity you have to know when to stop.

The guy in the yellow shirt with dreads told everybody in the beginning let the kids up ahead. Matt probably signed 1,000 autographs. I have no idea how many but I have never seen any player in my years since they moved to the Branch just sign that long. Someone tapped Ryan on the should and said it was time to go. Just for those who feel jaded about player singing, Ryan was a trooper. I hate having to sign my name once nowawdays without a keyboard.

That's what I told my son. I told him that he's a popular player and that he ran out of time. And I don't disagree with anything you said, but Matt wasn't that far from where we were, and several players were walking along the rope. I even remember feeling a bit sorry for Matt because of all the attention he was receiving. And, if he did hear those kids and ignored them anyway, then that makes it even worse. :(

I understand your disappointment, autograph collecting has more disappointments than successes, especially when you're first starting out as a kid. I started collecting them when I was about 8 or 9 and I was too shy about being a little aggressive. The best advice I have for your son is to keep working your way up towards the player, standing in one place rarely works out. Of course please and thank you goes a million miles with a lot of people, I was able to stop Jenkins the other day after his radio address with a please and a thank you. It sounds corny but it works.

Just don't let your son get too down, he'll get a Matt Ryan eventually, even if it's not this year. Also keep in mind how great the Falcons are to have ALL of their players come over for autographs, the chance to have Roddy White or Matt Ryan sign something is great. At other camps and practices for other teams I've seen more players run by without even looking that the fans. Outside of the Falcons I've seen more people at other teams practices get an autograph and ask "who was that?".. that's the minority with the Falcons.

The guy in the yellow shirt with dreads told everybody in the beginning let the kids up ahead. Matt probably signed 1,000 autographs. I have no idea how many but I have never seen any player in my years since they moved to the Branch just sign that long. Someone tapped Ryan on the should and said it was time to go. Just for those who feel jaded about player singing, Ryan was a trooper. I hate having to sign my name once nowawdays without a keyboard.

Yeah - Matt signed from the start of the signing period until the alarm went off. My son was lucky enough to get Matt to sign his rookie card. He didn't move down the line because people were forming a huge crowd in front of him. Also, I definitely agree with Phatty that there were some older jerks that should have shown more class and it wasn't just men - some of the women were crowding out the kids too. My son was just lucky that Ryan saw his arms up in the middle of a huge crowd. There was a little kid on his dad's shoulders that kept saying 'Matty Ice, Matty Ice' and eventually Ryan saw him and got him to throw his stuff up to the front so he could sign it. Ryan was very nice and was talking to the crowd and was signing constantly until the alarm went off. I don't know what else he could have done.

Sorry that Angel Eyes son didn't get a sig. Maybe it would be better if the players sat at tables or something and people formed lines instead of crowds.

Yeah - Matt signed from the start of the signing period until the alarm went off. My son was lucky enough to get Matt to sign his rookie card. He didn't move down the line because people were forming a huge crowd in front of him. Also, I definitely agree with Phatty that there were some older jerks that should have shown more class and it wasn't just men - some of the women were crowding out the kids too. My son was just lucky that Ryan saw his arms up in the middle of a huge crowd. There was a little kid on his dad's shoulders that kept saying 'Matty Ice, Matty Ice' and eventually Ryan saw him and got him to throw his stuff up to the front so he could sign it. Ryan was very nice and was talking to the crowd and was signing constantly until the alarm went off. I don't know what else he could have done.

Sorry that Angel Eyes son didn't get a sig. Maybe it would be better if the players sat at tables or something and people formed lines instead of crowds.

They did that last year at the Training Camps, they would have 5-10 guys at a table and they'd throw in some of the bigger names. I know I saw Ryan sitting at a table during one practice. The only problem with that is keeping the lines moving. You do get better autographs when there's something solid to write on anyway.

Since there are multiple groups going at one time it is quite possible I missed something. I saw him drop one in the afternoon practive. Is it possible that was the AM practice I was not there. The point I was trying to make is he is big, fast, and very physical unlike Jenkins who when I observed sat down on his route once again and cradled the ball instead of catching away from his body.

Thank you. I couldn't make it to the AM practice. I was just trying to share and then I get the 3rd degree and questioned on what I saw from people who were not even there. SMFH I didn't say the kid was going to the Pro Bowl I just said he is physical and made a tough grab with as I recall more than 2 DB's on him.

Just so you know, I wasn't referring to you personally, but that different people (other's in another thread) will report on what they think they see differently.