Sidbury wants the top pass-rushing spot

FLOWERY BRANCH -- Falcons defensive end Lawrence Sidbury terrorized Division I-AA offensive tackles during his career at Richmond.

He rang up 20.5 sacks, including 11.5 in his senior season, as he helped the Spiders win the national championship.

After he was chosen in the fourth round of the 2009 draft, Sidbury spent his rookie season learning some valuable lessons about the NFL. The Falcons hope that in his second season he will develop into the unstoppable threat that he was in college.

In part because of his expected growth, the Falcons elected not to draft a defensive end in 2010.

"We really anticipate that Lawrence will take a big step here this season in year two," Falcons coach Mike Smith said. "Jamaal [Anderson] will probably spend more time playing defensive tackle in our sub package and play defensive end in our base package."

Sidbury and Kroy Biermann, who is in his third season, will get a chance to rush the passer opposite stalwart defensive end John Abraham. Sidbury has worked hard this offseason to claim the pass-rushing spot in the Falcons' defensive-end rotation.

"I just need to cut down on the mistakes," Sidbury said Saturday after the team's third minicamp practice. "I feel like I'm picking up on things a lot better this year. I'm making [fewer] mistakes."

Sidbury played about 25 percent of the snaps last season. He finished with one sack, and he recovered a fumble and returned it 11 yards for a touchdown against Buffalo.

"That's one of the bigger highlights of my career as a whole," Sidbury said of his touchdown. "I've never scored a touchdown on defense. There's a part about where coach [defensive coordinator Brian] VanGorder and coach [Mike] Smith talk about being hungry, being intense and playing with energy. We want more plays like that this year."

As a rookie, Sidbury found that the moves that worked at Richmond were easily combated by pro-level tackles. He's focused on working on his hands and techniques and being more explosive and tenacious with his moves.

The end result, he hopes, will produce more sacks and pressure on opposing quarterbacks.

"Even if you work a move once, you might have to work it three times to get past them," Sidbury said. "I just have to continue to get those things down. I just want to learn and get better. That's going to help me out."

Sidbury knows that playing time is available.

"I haven't set any numbers, but I've set the bar pretty high," Sidbury said. "That's how it's been since I can remember. I'm going to work to get there."

Falcons coaches have stressed to Sidbury and the rest of the defense about playing with an abundance of intensity and energy. It's been clear in the minicamp that they've gotten the message as the defense. The defense has been flying around the practice fields.

"We are trying to take what we talk about in the meetings and bring it out here on the field," Sidbury said.

He expects to make the leap that the Falcons have projected for him.

"You come out here, and it's your job is to compete," Sidbury said. "I want to get better and help this team win in 2010. I want to come out here and do what I've got to do."

In the offseason training program he has worked on improving his strength, becoming more flexible with his hips and trying to get leaner.

"I've just tried to improve in all areas," Sidbury said.

Its his to take if he can grab it, I hope he does. :) Bierman or somebody. I DO NOT want Abe to do it alone. ;)

Also one person that think about it, he made a payday and is kind of hidden compared to Jamal Anderson. Chauncy Davis. What does he do? I know he can fill in other positions, but he made serious money too, he should be getting ragged like JA98. ;)

Edited by nativefalcon

Jay Glazer said Sid and Biermann has dude great with the MMA training... That should help them have violent hands.... I really think both will improve this year.

I think they will both be starting beside each other in the near future. Abe is nearing the end of his contract isn't he?

Sid's a monster too. Didn't realize he was that big. He did well in MC along with Biermann & Abe. They all looked hungry & were working hard.

Did anyone see Davis? I don't remember seeing him all day.

Sid's a monster too. Didn't realize he was that big. He did well in MC along with Biermann & Abe. They all looked hungry & were working hard.

Did anyone see Davis? I don't remember seeing him all day.

I heard that Kroy and Sidbury is a little bigger (muscular)... I dont know do they weight more or what..... We will see during TC.

Sid's a monster too. Didn't realize he was that big. He did well in MC along with Biermann & Abe. They all looked hungry & were working hard.Did anyone see Davis? I don't remember seeing him all day.

Sid's got his work cut out for him. Trust me:

COMBINED 2008-2009 Stats

JAbraham - drafted 13th, 31 starts, 22.0 sacks, 67 tackles, 5 FFs, 0 FRs, 30 hits, 77 pressures

Chauncey - drafted 128th, 5 starts, 5.0 sacks, 45 tackles, 2 FFs, 3 FRs, 3 hits, 37 pressures

Biermann - drafted 154th, 2 starts, 7.0 sacks, 40 tackles, 1 FFs, 2 FRs, 9 hits, 33 pressures

Busterson - drafted 8th, 28 starts, 2.5 sacks, 41 tackles, 0 FFs, 0 FRs, 11 hits, 35 pressures

I think they will both be starting beside each other in the near future. Abe is nearing the end of his contract isn't he?

I believe you are right. I think Abe is signed through 2011. If he bounces back this year, we may see him here in 2011. However, it only will prolong the inevitable as he ages and Sidbury matures.

Oh man yeah.

I love reading this stuff, because the Kid wants it and wants it bad,

and he is going to work his tail off to earn it too.

I am also looking forward to Biermann having a Break Out Season with 12+ Sacks.

Bier is PK ver 2.0 ;)

We go to war with the same people on defense, except...

have a probable significant upgrade at LB on at least passing downs,

an upgrade at 1 corner spot and an all out brawl at the other spot,

2 probable pass rushing DT's(Jerry was out last season,

and more experienced D-linemen across the board.

All with the same defensive scheme and coaches.

There is no reason we shouldnt improve across the board on D, sans injury.

Sid's got his work cut out for him. Trust me:

COMBINED 2008-2009 Stats

JAbraham - drafted 13th, 31 starts, 22.0 sacks, 67 tackles, 5 FFs, 0 FRs, 30 hits, 77 pressures

Chauncey - drafted 128th, 5 starts, 5.0 sacks, 45 tackles, 2 FFs, 3 FRs, 3 hits, 37 pressures

Biermann - drafted 154th, 2 starts, 7.0 sacks, 40 tackles, 1 FFs, 2 FRs, 9 hits, 33 pressures

Busterson - drafted 8th, 28 starts, 2.5 sacks, 41 tackles, 0 FFs, 0 FRs, 11 hits, 35 pressures

THAT is teh AWESOMEZ!!!! B)

Its his to take if he can grab it, I hope he does. :) Bierman or somebody. I DO NOT want Abe to do it alone. ;)

Also one person that think about it, he made a payday and is kind of hidden compared to Jamal Anderson. Chauncy Davis. What does he do? I know he can fill in other positions, but he made serious money too, he should be getting ragged like JA98. ;)

You're right he has been a big dissapointment especially last year with the Falcons coaching staff and mgt almost begging him to take the LDE spot from Jamaal. Maybe the difference is he was taken much later in the draft, was paid less and didn't compare himself to Michael Strahan as that moron Jamaal did.