Mini-Camp Day 1

atljbo

Daniel Cox

a few guys that stood out to me today: CB franks played physical and had an int and on next play broke up a pass. WRs Wolfe and Meier looked solid to me. caught the ball well. meier in particular made some good catches in traffic. good route runners too. i like the way UDFA LB Bear Woods carried himself. LB adkins quietly played well. still think he's a year or two away, but progressing.

D-Led

Antone Smith, the former Fla State back, flashed on some nice runs. Might have to keep an eye on him.

Good news, but it'd be nice to know that the first two picks were doing something to stand out as well.

Here are some on Spoon

Peterson, the vocal leader of the defense, sees a little bit of himself in the first-round pick. He's heard about the talking and he sees a player with speed and coverage ability. Because of the similarities, he's aptly named the young man who was seen at his side more than once during Friday's morning practice.

“The young guy can run," he said. "I’m pretty sure he can hit. I’m calling him the “Baby Lion” right now. I’m the daddy lion, he’s the baby lion."

Nicknames aside, most veterans are impressed with Weatherspoon's desire to listen as much as he talks.

“That’s another positive, a young guy that comes in and wants to listen to the veteran guys," said Peterson who said he encouraged Weatherspoon to make sure the coaches see how well he runs. "I’m going to tell him everything I know.”

I still think some are sleeping on Spencer Adkins.

I'm really pulling for him. He's got such natural athletic ability. I hope he stays with us in some capacity. Such a fast guy and such a heavy hitter. If he can be coached up, he can potentially be great.

Brent Grimes gathered his share, Robinson got in on the act taking one from wide receiver Eric Weems, but it was a rookie who looked impressive more often than not on Friday.

Fifth-round selection Dominique Franks made a nice read on the quarterback and stepped in front of receiver R.J. Webb for the takeaway in one-on-ones. On his next turn, he almost took another one, but wasn't able to hang onto the pass.

Clearly disappointed, Franks went to the sideline and did ten pushups while he waited for his next turn.

i only like keeping 6 LB's.

1-lofton

2-peterson

3-weatherspoon

4-nicholas

5-wire

6-adkins or woods

Who is the backup middle linebacker?

I think the coaches are going to be loath to move Spoon to the middle if Lofton is hurt. I think the coaches like Adkins' speed, but Woods can play the middle.

Who is the backup middle linebacker?

I think the coaches are going to be loath to move Spoon to the middle if Lofton is hurt. I think the coaches like Adkins' speed, but Woods can play the middle.

Peterson would move to MLB if Lofton got hurt (God forbid).

Here are some on Spoon

Has anybody noticed that Peterson and Spoon are the same size?6-1,239. So is Adkins and Woods. Both those lbers are stumps @ 5-11, 245

Our UDFA rookie kicker is the exact size of me, 5-9,190, I just hope we got the right one, The kicker is a huge deal. He can win a team 2 or 3 games a year, or lose 2 or 3 games, That is a huge difference. As many as 6 games.

I think that Wire is the odd man out. I like him but he has limited upside. 8 yr vet

I wouldnt trade Coy Wire for anything. Wire is our special teams ace.

You just dont find guys with his mixture of fire and enthusiasm and talent very often.

Sometimes a 'playmaker' doesnt play on offense or defense; Coy is a playmaker on special teams.

And a darn good one.

I think that Wire is the odd man out. I like him but he has limited upside. 8 yr vet

Wire is a beast on special teams & is the ST captain. plus dude has a high football IQ and is great in situational football. no way I let him go just yet

You just dont find guys with his mixture of fire and enthusiasm and talent very often.

Sometimes a 'playmaker' doesnt play on offense or defense; Coy is a playmaker on special teams.

And a darn good one.

When Coy Wire leaves the Falcons it will be on his own terms - by retirement rather than waiver wire. The organization values him too much, both now and in the foreseeable future, to show him the disrespect of a cut.

When Coy Wire leaves the Falcons it will be on his own terms - by retirement rather than waiver wire. The organization values him too much, both now and in the foreseeable future, to show him the disrespect of a cut.

Cutting a guy is not disrespectful... Its business...Look at McNabhb and Favre... Both of those guys gave their team everything for 9 plus years.... Look at Keith Brooking (before he turned into an ***) ... Its no disrespect...

I like Coy Wire but he has 1 year on his deal... If the young guys can impress.... IDK... Nicholas, Curtis, Peterson, and Spoon are safe.... I think the Coaching staff really likes Spencer Adkins... The guy is a good special teamer with potential

Thats 5 guys right there... Bear Woods seems to be a guy that can develop (Practice Squad) .. The LB position is going to be really competitive.

It will be a tough competition. The 8 year Vet status really hurts him. When Wire was given the opportunity last year he made some big plays. He is also good on Special Teams so he definitely has a shot at making the roster.

And a darn good one.

Totally agree!

Wire is a beast on special teams & is the ST captain. plus dude has a high football IQ and is great in situational football. no way I let him go just yet

Ala the 2 big ST plays against the Aints at home last year we almost pulled there pants down because of those 2 ST plays Wire made.As you mentioned he's a valuable player for us.