What do you think the defense looks like Week 1?

Heres what I think the defense will look like assuming the roster stays the same for Week 1 of the season

DE

It doesnt really matter who the "starters" are we'll rotate atleast 5 players based on down distance and situation. Our top pass rushing DEs will be Abe Biermann and Sidbury. Davis will be the 4th and used as a run stopper. Anderson is a run stopper. Nicholas (LB) may even see time rushing the passer off the edge

DT

Babineaux's our best DT and hopefully Jerry's the other starter and Peters is the #3. Johnson is a nice fit at #4 and I wonder if Vance Walker can show signs of becoming a player like he did in college.

Overall I'm happy with the D line. We are 4-5 deep at both DE and DT.

LB

Spoon will be the starter at the weakside, Lofton in the middle, and Peterson/Nicholas on the strongside. Statistically Peterson outproduced Nicholas last season. Peterson was on the weakside, Nicholas on the strong, so Peterson was in better position to make plays. Nicholas was in his 1st year as a starter. Peterson may be the better player but I'd like to see Nicholas earn the starting spot for the sake of the extremely young D we're building. We need to see what we've got in him whether hes the answer at that spot or we need to draft someone else. Ideally Peterson is the 4th LB. They could both see the field, Peterson in coverage and Nicholas as a pass rusher etc. We have good depth in the front 7

CB

Robinson was signed to come in and be the #1 and I'm very excited to see what he brings to the table. I havent found much film of him online but Im sure TDs seen plenty and I havent known him to miss on big money acquistions that are already NFL players (See Michael Turner, Tony Gonzalez). Grimes looks tiny on the field but had 6 interceptions and 13 pass defensed in his 1st year as a starter. Any CB with 6 picks has a spot in my lineup. As it stands Grimes is probably the starter with Owens in the nickel but that may switch. Jackson will battle with Franks and Williams for the dime spot.

S

Decoud showed big play ability with athletecism, ball skills, and knockout power (See Brandon Jacobs, Clinton Portis) Hes a player on the rise at the FS spot. At SS Id really love to see Moore come in and take the spot away from Coleman who would be a good fit as the #3 safety. Moore brings big time athletecism and playmaking to the position at 220 lbs. If he can stay on the field him and Decoud could make a lot of plays for a long time.

Overall I feel very good about the defense. TD has done as excellent job of almost completely rebuilding this defense through the draft since he's came in and stocked it with depth and young playmaking athletes. Now that the roster has been stocked with talent it's time to find out who can play. We need to see how effective Biermann and Sidbury can be getting to the QB, the impact Jerry and Peters have at DT, how Spoon and Nicholas do in their rookie and 2nd year as a starter, how Robinson plays the #1 spot, if Grimes, Owens, Jackson and Franks are the answer at the other CB spots, if Moore is the answer at SS. Because TD has used the draft to stockpile talent like Biermann, Sidbury, Jerry, Peters, Walker, Spoon, Lofton, Owens, Jackson, Decoud and Moore all these key defenders are rookies or entering their 1st 2nd or 3rd year as starters and are getting better every day. The future is very bright for our D.

Against Dennis Dixon with a Santonio Holmes-less Pittsburgh Steelers, pretty F*CKING GOOD MAN!!

I am SOOO PUMPED FOR THE SEASON.

Can't wait to see that battle with Christopher Owens and a confident Brent Grimes play out in Training Camp and potentially into the Pre-season.

By the way, anyone know how many days (exactly) until Pre-season kickoff?

GO FALCONS!!

Honestly, the defense has just as many questions as it did last year, many of them the same questions we had last year. I'm optimistic that a few more of the answers will turn out positively for the Falcons this year.

Dude are you serious?

1. I mean, Dunta is going to come in and change up the ENTIRE Secondary.

2. DeCoud is only going to get better, and Moore could be the SS by Week 1 if he works hard enough.

3. Weatherspoon is going to start soon enough. I think Peterson and Nicholas get a shot to prove their worth starting Week 1.

-- He will start eventually and change this LB Corps with his freakish athleticism.

4. ABE is going to make a run at Defensive Player of the Year with 2008-like numbers.

-- He is SOOOO pissed about getting snubbed for Pro-Bowl in '08 and then his massively disappointing 2009 numbers.

John Abraham is about to mess some QB's up in 2010.

5. Young Impact players (DeCoud, Biermann, Owens, Grimes) have another year(s) on their resume.

-- They will start to pay dividends big time in their consistency.

Should I keep going?

Dude are you serious?1. I mean, Dunta is going to come in and change up the ENTIRE Secondary. 2. DeCoud is only going to get better, and Moore could be the SS by Week 1 if he works hard enough.3. Weatherspoon is going to start soon enough. I think Peterson and Nicholas get a shot to prove their worth starting Week 1. -- He will start eventually and change this LB Corps with his freakish athleticism.4. ABE is going to make a run at Defensive Player of the Year with 2008-like numbers. -- He is SOOOO pissed about getting snubbed for Pro-Bowl in '08 and then his massively disappointing 2009 numbers. John Abraham is about to mess some QB's up in 2010.5. Young Impact players (DeCoud, Biermann, Owens, Grimes) have another year(s) on their resume. -- They will start to pay dividends big time in their consistency.Should I keep going?

Dam dude that's a lot of predictions.

You better hope you're right cause ole boy will light you up if you ain't. Trust me.

Hopefully good, last year I hated watching our defense on the field. The only way we could stop a team is if they got penalties, and dropped a pass. I remember too many times getting teams offenses into third and 8+ last year, then thinking to myself "They got us right where they want us." Then first down.

Well the biggest thing I think will be the way we use our Linebackers. We will change them up depending on certain packages the O uses. But IMO we will see a lot more blitzes this year, I'm sure we will see Spoon playing some SLB and Nic playing some WLB and letting Nic blitz. And while Lofton might be working hard at becoming a better coverage LB if he still isnt showing he can do it as well as we need him to we can slide Mike to MLB on passing downs, or if Curt simply needs a breather we can do that.

But we can do a lot of different things with these linebackers and not to forget we like to put Coy out there as well. But overall you look at this Defense and you see a lot of versatility, especially when Moore starts. When Moore starts you will see us moving Decoud and Moore all over the place we will be moving our Linebackers all over the place and from time to time we can let Dunta shadow the opposing teams best WR and pick and choose the matchups Grimes and Owens get.

So to me this Defense will be 100 percent different, no more bend but dont break. This D might be young still and we might not be as good as we need to be on the defensive side due to some positins being young but the fact that we will be able to move players around and not give the QB the same look over and over will do great things for this D.

I for one have always thought BVG has done a great job with the Defense, and now we will truly get to see this guy put players in different positions to make big plays and put a big time D on the field.

This is what you guys meant

RE Biermann, Sidbury

UT Babineaux, Peters, Walker

NT Jerry, Johnson

LE Abraham, Davis, Anderson

Pass DE: Abraham, Biermann, Sidbury, Davis, Nicholas? (LB)

Run DE: Davis, Anderson, Abraham, Biermann?

DT: Babineaux, Jerry, Peters, Johnson, Walker, Lewis? Anderson? Davis?

ROLB Spoon, Adkins

MLB Lofton, James/Wire

LOLB Nicholas/Peterson

We are 4 deep at LB with the competition between Peterson and Nicholas. I want Nicholas to win for the sake of the young D and Peterson can backup all 3 spots. In the nickel Nicholas may be a pass rusher and Peterson a coverage LB.

RCB Grimes/Owens, Franks

LCB Robinson, Jackson, Williams

FS Decoud

SS Moore, Coleman

Starting lineup (backups):

LDE - Jamaal Anderson (Biermann, Davis)

DT - Peria Jerry (Peters, Lewis, Walker)

DT - Jonathan Babineaux (Peters, Lewis, Walker)

RDE - John Abraham (Sidbury, Davis)

RCB - Brent Grimes (Owens)

LCB - Dunta Robinson (Franks)

FS - Decoud (??)

SS - Coleman (Moore)

I think the only changes will happen at LDE where Biermann have a chance of unseating Anderson, and/or at RCB where Grimes and Owens will have one **** of a TC battle between em. I dont see William Moore unseating Coleman just yet.

The rest seems pretty set to me.

Dude are you serious?

1. I mean, Dunta is going to come in and change up the ENTIRE Secondary.

2. DeCoud is only going to get better, and Moore could be the SS by Week 1 if he works hard enough.

3. Weatherspoon is going to start soon enough. I think Peterson and Nicholas get a shot to prove their worth starting Week 1.

-- He will start eventually and change this LB Corps with his freakish athleticism.

4. ABE is going to make a run at Defensive Player of the Year with 2008-like numbers.

-- He is SOOOO pissed about getting snubbed for Pro-Bowl in '08 and then his massively disappointing 2009 numbers.

John Abraham is about to mess some QB's up in 2010.

5. Young Impact players (DeCoud, Biermann, Owens, Grimes) have another year(s) on their resume.

-- They will start to pay dividends big time in their consistency.

Should I keep going?

Dude, you totally made my point. Your entire posts is based on things that you assume are going to happen, not things that have happened in the past.

Dunta Robinson sucked last year. Sorry everybody, but it's true.