Steve Wyche Camp Report

link

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- I swung through the morning session of the Falcons' first full squad minicamp Friday morning and here are some thoughts and observations -- and I will preface all of this by saying they didn't have pads on. I'm not a believer in much until these guys actually start playing football. There have been thousands of training camp All Pros who wither to the waiver wire once they actually have to run through a tackle or block somebody.

Still, there are some things to garner from this workout and here is my take:

» Free agent cornerback Dunta Robinson already is an upgrade over any cornerback Atlanta has had in years. It was easy to see that he is a physical player and is very aggressive. Robinson made several plays on the ball and he handled himself well against the Falcons' top two wide receivers, Pro Bowler Roddy White and Michael Jenkins. Robinson told me after the workout that having to practice against Andre Johnson in Houston and having to play against Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne for years has him more than ready to jump right in and take care of business.

Even so, Robinson said he's already watched several videos of receivers he'll see more than once in the NFC South, including Carolina's Steve Smith and the Saints' plethora of weapons.

Robinson was used at left cornerback for most of practice -- Brent Grimes rotated with Chris Owens at right corner -- but Robinson told me that he's been training at every cornerback spot.

» All you fantasy football players might want to get Michael Turner on your team. The running back said he is approaching this season with a serious purpose and he's doing more than talking. Turner already is at his season-ending weight of around 240-245 and he is carrying it in much leaner fashion. Turner got out of the gate very slowly last year because he was holding a few too many lbs, which didn't allow him to pull away from too many LBs. He pulled away from a slew of the Falcons' athletic linebackers Friday.

Turner told me that he looked at some pictures of himself last season and saw a pudgy guy. Not this time around. Turner said he typically let himself get a little heavy during the offseason and would work it off as training camp neared. He didn't let things get away from him this offseason. I was told by a Falcons' official that he is one of the few players that work out five times a week instead of four.

Turner also said he practiced exceptionally hard to prove to himself that the high ankle sprain that he suffered last season has fully healed. Turner has worked on conditioning drills with other injured players during OTAs and was just medically cleared to go all out before minicamp.

» First-round draft pick Sean Weatherspoon was working at the strong side outside linebacker spot with the second unit. He was playing behind last season's starter, Stephen Nicholas. When the Falcons' selected Weatherspoon, he was pegged as a weak-side linebacker, where Mike Peterson is the starter. That doesn't look to be the case, although Atlanta cross-trains players at most positions.

Peterson, who was a huge addition to Atlanta's defense when he was acquired last season, doesn't appear to be in danger of losing his job but he doesn't seem to be taking any chances. He was the most active player on the field during the morning practice. He also spent a lot of his time on the sideline working with Weatherspoon. Nicholas, a one-year starter, might be the most vulnerable to Weatherspoon.

» Quarterback Matt Ryan said he was a little rusty but he looked pretty in sync to the naked eye. Entering his third season, Ryan is so fully in command of the offense that it's hard to tell when he's made a mistake. He told me the continuity of players on offense is why he is so comfortable. The only real change he's had since being the No. 3 overall pick in 2007 was the addition of TE Tony Gonzalez last summer.

--

Great report, and it's nice to see the Falcons getting news on the main page, finally. Little bit of rep for the dirty birds is always nice, considering we're usually overlooked.

Great report, and it's nice to see the Falcons getting news on the main page, finally. Little bit of rep for the dirty birds is always nice, considering we're usually overlooked.

Indeed...but I realized we can't blame the media for overlooking us in the past. We didn't exactly have the pieces in place for success as they are now and when you put together a great product as we have from top to bottom, you can't help but want to see how far the Falcons will go. I think a lot of the media ANALysts (lol) believe we have the potential to be the next champion and want to start keeping tabs on us now to try and reap the recognition later. Not Wyche though, he's been with us since.

Alot of these new guys are saying its hot...man they have no clue what its gonna be like in July.... Not many Places hotter than Atlanta in july , maybe Jax thats it man, Ari yea the temp is hotter but its not a sticky hot like here... it gets hot man.... Muggy Hot, Jax is worse but i cant think of any other place that would be....

Guys be praying for it to rain 3 days into TC , literally man.....

link

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- I swung through the morning session of the Falcons' first full squad minicamp Friday morning and here are some thoughts and observations -- and I will preface all of this by saying they didn't have pads on. I'm not a believer in much until these guys actually start playing football. There have been thousands of training camp All Pros who wither to the waiver wire once they actually have to run through a tackle or block somebody.

Still, there are some things to garner from this workout and here is my take:

» Free agent cornerback Dunta Robinson already is an upgrade over any cornerback Atlanta has had in years. It was easy to see that he is a physical player and is very aggressive. Robinson made several plays on the ball and he handled himself well against the Falcons' top two wide receivers, Pro Bowler Roddy White and Michael Jenkins. Robinson told me after the workout that having to practice against Andre Johnson in Houston and having to play against Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne for years has him more than ready to jump right in and take care of business.

Even so, Robinson said he's already watched several videos of receivers he'll see more than once in the NFC South, including Carolina's Steve Smith and the Saints' plethora of weapons.

Robinson was used at left cornerback for most of practice -- Brent Grimes rotated with Chris Owens at right corner -- but Robinson told me that he's been training at every cornerback spot.

» All you fantasy football players might want to get Michael Turner on your team. The running back said he is approaching this season with a serious purpose and he's doing more than talking. Turner already is at his season-ending weight of around 240-245 and he is carrying it in much leaner fashion. Turner got out of the gate very slowly last year because he was holding a few too many lbs, which didn't allow him to pull away from too many LBs. He pulled away from a slew of the Falcons' athletic linebackers Friday.

Turner told me that he looked at some pictures of himself last season and saw a pudgy guy. Not this time around. Turner said he typically let himself get a little heavy during the offseason and would work it off as training camp neared. He didn't let things get away from him this offseason. I was told by a Falcons' official that he is one of the few players that work out five times a week instead of four.

Turner also said he practiced exceptionally hard to prove to himself that the high ankle sprain that he suffered last season has fully healed. Turner has worked on conditioning drills with other injured players during OTAs and was just medically cleared to go all out before minicamp.

» First-round draft pick Sean Weatherspoon was working at the strong side outside linebacker spot with the second unit. He was playing behind last season's starter, Stephen Nicholas. When the Falcons' selected Weatherspoon, he was pegged as a weak-side linebacker, where Mike Peterson is the starter. That doesn't look to be the case, although Atlanta cross-trains players at most positions.

Peterson, who was a huge addition to Atlanta's defense when he was acquired last season, doesn't appear to be in danger of losing his job but he doesn't seem to be taking any chances. He was the most active player on the field during the morning practice. He also spent a lot of his time on the sideline working with Weatherspoon. Nicholas, a one-year starter, might be the most vulnerable to Weatherspoon.

» Quarterback Matt Ryan said he was a little rusty but he looked pretty in sync to the naked eye. Entering his third season, Ryan is so fully in command of the offense that it's hard to tell when he's made a mistake. He told me the continuity of players on offense is why he is so comfortable. The only real change he's had since being the No. 3 overall pick in 2007 was the addition of TE Tony Gonzalez last summer.

--

That's great news about Turner. For us to have any success it's up to Turner to get our running game going. He has to get the nickname of "The Burner" back. I hope he is back to '08 form.

Alot of these new guys are saying its hot...man they have no clue what its gonna be like in July.... Not many Places hotter than Atlanta in july , maybe Jax thats it man, Ari yea the temp is hotter but its not a sticky hot like here... it gets hot man.... Muggy Hot, Jax is worse but i cant think of any other place that would be....

Heck, after those years of being in Houston in JulY, Mr. Robinson will think he's practicing in Minnesota this July in Atlanta (well, maybe not but Houston is much worse than here).

It looks like Dunta Robinson will shadow #1 WR's

I'm not not going to over think Weatherspoon playing SLB with the 2nd team...

It looks like Dunta Robinson will shadow #1 WR's

I'm not not going to over think Weatherspoon playing SLB with the 2nd team...

you are gonna have to be a badddddd man to get Peterson outa the Starting Line Up, i bet we see Pete maybe on the other side in Pre Season, Pete can play all 3 spots, they say Spoon may can, we will se, I Believe

Spoon

Lofton

and Pete are our week 1 Starters....

we know Lofton will be in the Middle..... Will and Sam we will have to see i guess...

It looks like Dunta will shadow #1 WR's.

I'm not going to over think Spoon playing SLB with the 2nd team.... I remember one year Blalock was lined up at the RT ... I am interested to see how the coaching staff does this... Mike P made game changing plays at the beginning of the season but if you judge the LB's whole season.... Nicholas was better.

I think if Spoon dont start day 1.... He may take playing time from Nicholas and Peterson (in a rotation).

I'm not going to over think Spoon playing SLB with the 2nd team.... I remember one year Blalock was lined up at the RT ... I am interested to see how the coaching staff does this... Mike P made game changing plays at the beginning of the season but if you judge the LB's whole season.... Nicholas was better.

I think if Spoon dont start day 1.... He may take playing time from Nicholas and Peterson (in a rotation).

I'm thinking the same thing about spoon rotating. It makes sense to have the rookie out there with Peterson on some plays, but I think it makes sense for Coach not to take too much time away from Nicholas. Also, taking some playing time away from Peterson will allow him to stay healthy and not get as worn down as the season goes on.

I definitely don't see baby lion going from carrying daddy lion's helmet to starting in front of him real soon.

My concern about Peterson isn't about mini-camp, training camp, preseason, or even the first few games. I don't want him to earn the starting spot, and then wear out half way through the season.

IMHO, he is the best candidate to be third in the three man OLB rotation.

Houston gets even worse than Ga. Trust me.

One comment regarding Spoon at SLB. The coaching staff has been on record multiple times saying how much they like Spoon's coverage ability. The SLB is usually the coverage LBer. We used to always have Boley covering TE's. I wouldn't be surprised to see Spoon, Lofton, Peterson starting.

Get more excited about Turner with every report. I truly believe that the absence of a threatening running game was the biggest difference for Matt going from 2008 to 2009.

Turner started to pick it up before his injury, and Snelling ran well. The run game may have played a small part, but I think missing HD, that x factor that spread the field is what really killed the offense

One comment regarding Spoon at SLB. The coaching staff has been on record multiple times saying how much they like Spoon's coverage ability. The SLB is usually the coverage LBer. We used to always have Boley covering TE's. I wouldn't be surprised to see Spoon, Lofton, Peterson starting.

We had more trouble covering RB's out of the backfield... Thats the WLB responsibility. The WLB has more freedom on the field... Can cover or blitz.

Miami, New Orleans, Houston, Tampa, and Dallas is much worse in the summer than Atlanta.

I like the fact that roddy has an A star corner to practice against.

He needed someone to push him to get even better.

And vice versa for d-rob..(except he has already been practicing against great WR's)

good point, I also hope that it helps some of our young CBs come up to his playing ability as well.