My link

Interesting article. I blamed the O-line for mediocre run blocking, but if Turner is willing to admit his size was a problem then I will pin some of the blame on him. Good to hear he is back on track though.

Wow. I blamed it all on the o-line too. Maybe I was wrong. I liked that Turner has learned his lesson though. He wants to be great and looks like he worked hard this off season.

Great news on Turner being physically prepared for the long haul this season.

He is our most important weapon and a game changer.

I doubt very seriously if his weight had anything at all to do with his injury, but i can almost

gaurantee it had something to do with his slow start last season.

Karst41 hinted at the importance of Turner coming into camp at less weight than last season

in a funny post where he called him Micheal "Gravy" Turner. :lol:

Well...at least I thought it was funny <_<

Good call Karst. Cheers!

Turner and coach Mike Smith didn't want to get into specific numbers when talking weight. Turner is listed at 244 pounds on the current Atlanta roster. Team sources said he's very close to that number and plans to play at around 235 to 240 this season.

TBH I thought that Turner looker overweight and a little sluggish at the beginning of last year - but then I was wondering whether he could even lose a few pounds in 2008 though he still ran like a best for 16 weeks.

I just love the idea of Turner at 235-240 lbs pounds, because at that weight he will be right up there amongst the elite backs in the NFL.

My link

Interesting article. I blamed the O-line for mediocre run blocking, but if Turner is willing to admit his size was a problem then I will pin some of the blame on him. Good to hear he is back on track though.

So he hasn't been doing Turkish squats with a medicine ball and he has been jacking around in the off season? Next you'll tell me Matt Ryan hasn't been drawing up plays in the Georgia red clay---pfff

Just win

I always had a feeling his weight was an issue. He seemed to have less of that "burn" he had in '08. I ignored my first thoughts though when he started getting it back together towards the end of the season. Now that I think of it though, I guess that was after all because he got back into shape. It's great to hear he's stayed in shape this off season and wants to come back strong next season. If he can come into next season at 235 lbs. that will be great.

Mike Smith was quoted in the after-practice presser as saying that Turner's weight was on target and where they wanted him to be. I'll take coach's word on it.

EDIT: So now I go back and read the Yasinkas story saying the weight issue was last year. My bad. Turner's weight at the start of the 2009 camp was 246, so he must be in the 240 range right now. The 'team sources' that said he went 260 in last year's camp aren't to be believed - 246 was official.

Edited by JOEinPHX

I always had a feeling his weight was an issue. He seemed to have less of that "burn" he had in '08. I ignored my first thoughts though when he started getting it back together towards the end of the season. Now that I think of it though, I guess that was after all because he got back into shape. It's great to hear he's stayed in shape this off season and wants to come back strong next season. If he can come into next season at 235 lbs. that will be great.

I wonder is he was among the players experimenting with Mixed Martial Arts this offseason? Doesn't really need the hand work but it'd be great for keeping him in condition.

My link

Dont matter how big he is. HES A TRUCK!!!!! hes got Norwood for speed and anyways look what Jerome Bettis did. He was BIG but he still was one of the best running backs. Turners **** good for his size and hes line was hurt most of the season. YOU cant blame this on Michael "The Burner" Turner

I caught a lot of heat from many here for saying that Turner looked fat and slow at the start of last season.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thought that.

amen

statistically he didnt have a bad season, but as far as his impact goes, it wasnt always good.

Edited by zigg zagg

amen

statistically he didnt have a bad season, but as far as his impact goes, it wasnt always good.

Over the first 6 games he was basically dreadful, then he came around big time before getting hurt. So maybe if he is coming in to camp in better shape this year it won't take him so long to get cranked up this year.

Over the first 6 games he was basically dreadful, then he came around big time before getting hurt. So maybe if he is coming in to camp in better shape this year it won't take him so long to get cranked up this year.

Strange thing to me was that he looked totally unstoppable in preseason (yeah, I know it's only preseason, but it's still football and was mostly against starters), yet couldn't get anything going once the regular season started. I never though it had much to do with the line, because Snelling was able to produce behind the same line, while Turner could not.

this is what kills me about the AJC - they all talk amongst themselves last year that he looked overweight, and yet it only gets reported a year later by a national reporter

Like you think the AJC is a good newspaper? Thing is only good for wiping my azz. :P I have lived in Atlanta my whole life and 2 things Atlanta has always needed. 1. Another newspaper to give the AJC a run for their money, its a freaking monopoly of $hittyness and their proud of it. And 2. We need more radio stations to compete. Same kind of Monopoly thing. :(

AJC sux period. Turner just looked different last year, and he looked slower and this explains a lot of it. We'll I just want them mainly to use him when they need to and not over use him. ;) Try this what a thought, Mularkey to use Norwood effectivly instead of just using the same plays for all. Like screen passes, cr-ap thats unexpected.

Mularkey is called Mr. Gadget, last year he was predictable, need more Gadget plays or just GOOD effective plays.

Edited by nativefalcon

My link

Yes. Michael Turner was a fat tub of lard last season, and it was obvious. He was horrible for the first 1/3 of the season. He was fat, slow, and it showed.

Then he got mad after reading the media articles and posts here, and he started runnimng "angry" which was awesome because he ran like the Turner we all knew. Then he got hurt and that sucked.

Hopefully Turner will keep his weight down this season and run like the beast the Falcons hired him to be.