Minicamp update: Secondary shines in first practice

atljbo

Minicamp update: Secondary shines in first practice

FLOWERY BRANCH – The Falcons first practice of minicamp is in the books. It went exactly 2 hours, 5 minutes.

Falcons coach Mike Smith used a message from former David Lipscomb coach Don Meyer in his talk to the team Thursday night practice.

He noted that there were three things that you can never work too hard on:

1. Attitude

2. Effort

3. Technique

Here are some of the highlights from the Friday morning practice:

* Rookie linebacker Sean Weatherspoon lined up at strongside linebacker. He was nicknamed the “Baby Lion” by Mike Peterson and was seen carrying his mentor’s helmet to the locker room.

* Cornerback Dunta Robinson lined up on the left side and Brent Grimes and Christopher Owens alternated on the right side. “It went pretty good,” Robinson said about his first practice with the Falcons. “There were a couple of mental errors. I’m still trying to learn the new defense. But that’s a part of it.”

* Rookie wide receiver Kerry Meier looked strong and powerful while running his routes.

* The defensive secondary, which has been revamped, managed five interceptions.

D-Led

It was a crisp practice for mini-camp. Baby Lion as in one day he’ll be the Lion King? Running the whole Jungle and all? I don’t know. I’ll check with Mike Pete to get his rationale. Meier looks legit. Big ol’ wrists. Looks like he can snatch it down. Hate to be the poor nickel back across from him in the slot. Will get a better read of the rest of WRs at this afternoon practice. But the Brandyn Harvey kid from Villanova was physically impressive. He’s a big dude at 6-4, 205.

Interceptions in mini camp mean nothing...Cant wait to see them in training camp

I disagree, the int for Franks was probably a big thing to him, sure the passes are not as crisp and thrown well as they will be butfor a young CB to come in and get a pick its a confindence builder.

Interceptions in mini camp mean nothing...Cant wait to see them in training camp

Agreed, but hopefully they arent Matt Ryan throwing the picks! He REALLLLLY needs to cut down on those INT's, it was like clock work when Matt Ryan would throw a darn INT in nearly every game!

Agreed, but hopefully they arent Matt Ryan throwing the picks! He REALLLLLY needs to cut down on those INT's, it was like clock work when Matt Ryan would throw a darn INT in nearly every game!

This is mini camp...People are over-emphasising the ints..

Edited by supremedarius

I do not put emphasis on ints thrown in mini camp...

What would you rather hear...

"Chris Redmond, the Falcons second string QB torched the newly revamped defensive secondary in this mornings practice. No tipped balls or interceptions; Kerry Meier a late round rookie selection in this years draft, had his way with newly signed CB Dunta Robinson. Undrafted WR Ryan Wolfe, toasted both Grimes and Owens on both short and long pass routes. Looks the secondary is a work in progress.

I'll take 5 int's all day...even in May :lol:

This is mini camp...People are over-emphasising the ints..

D**N man, can anybody on this board say something positive about our players without someone else trying to refute or minimize it? That's what's wrong now. What kinda fan base does this **it look like ?!!

If you all you want to do is critique positive posts why don't you take yo a§§ over to Rival Central.

The Saints were the best team in May-August two years ago at getting interceptions. It's practice and the defense normally have the first say. Do it in a game and I'll be impressed.

:lol: @ training camp stats. You think it's bad now, wait until the preseason. Fans of every team will be voting undrafted rookies into the Pro Bowl then cry when they are cut.

I think people are under emphasizing the interceptions because the secondaries problem last year was that we didn't fight for the football when it was in the air. Granted it was our Qb's throwing the interceptions it still builds a lot of confidence for the young guys. If you were to look at Owens when he was a rookie, the kid had a lot of confidence and he felt he belonged out there that's what separated him from Crisp.

I think people are under emphasizing the interceptions because the secondaries problem last year was that we didn't fight for the football when it was in the air. Granted it was our Qb's throwing the interceptions it still builds a lot of confidence for the young guys. If you were to look at Owens when he was a rookie, the kid had a lot of confidence and he felt he belonged out there that's what separated him from Crisp.

Nuff Said