Early impressions of the Falcons

atljbo

link

FLOWERY BRANCH, GA. – The Falcons finished their morning minicamp practice and went through their interview sessions. I’ll be back in a few hours with a column on running back Michael Turner and how he’s looking a little different (in other words, slimmer) this year.

But before I get cranking on Turner, I wanted to share some quick observations from the morning session.

Everybody that was supposed to be here was here. No contract holdouts or anything like that. Peria Jerry, Harry Douglas and Jonathan Babineaux didn’t practice as they recover from injuries, but they were watching. Safety William Moore, who had been cleared to practice last week, didn’t practice because he suffered a slight injury in the weight room in recent days and the Falcons are being cautious with his recovery. Turner and quarterback Matt Ryan, who also was injured at the end of last year, were both completely healthy and able to practice.

Rookie linebacker Sean Weatherspoon is wearing No. 56. That’s the same number worn by Keith Brooking before he left for the Cowboys prior to last season. The Falcons are being a little coy with how they plan to use Weatherspoon and that will play out over time. Curtis Lofton, Mike Peterson and Stephan Nicholas ran with the first team Friday. Lofton’s not going anywhere. I’m guessing the Falcons see Weatherspoon as a replacement for Peterson, if the veteran shows any signs of slowing down. But I’m also thinking they view Weatherspoon as a potential upgrade over Nicholas. Either way, the Falcons now have some quality depth at linebacker.

Speaking of Peterson, I didn’t see any signs of his age catching up to him yet. He had a nice interception this morning. So did safety Thomas DeCoud.

Two rookies really stood out to me in the morning session. I saw cornerback Dominique Franks make an outstanding interception. Also saw receiver Kerry Meier make several nice catches.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

good post +1

Spoon may not start the season opener but will start at some point in the season imo.

Moore getting hurt in the weight room sucks I was stoked when we drafted him but he's starting to look like a band aid but I hope i'm wrong..

Franks this is good news. Someone get's hurt it's good to know that there is some depth at CB something we did not have last year which came back to bite us in the ***..

Edited by canadianatlfalcon

Glad to see Franks and Meier doing well. I'm happy with the news of Turner being a little slimmer, because he'll have that extra speed, but still be a bruiser.

William Moore injured in the training room, shocking.

Its not like it doesnt happen all the time, how do we know he didnt just tweak something and it doesnt feel right. It could be nothing, if it wasnt for this article we probably never have found out.

People are making him out to be some sort of walking injury. It happens in the NFL

good post +1

Spoon may not start the season opener but will start at some point in the season imo.

Moore getting hurt in the weight room sucks I was stoked when we drafted him but he's starting to look like a band aid but I hope i'm wrong..

Spoon will start, but they are probably making him earn the spot.

Glad to see Franks and Meier doing well. I'm happy with the news of Turner being a little slimmer, because he'll have that extra speed, but still be a bruiser.

William Moore injured in the training room, shocking.

Yeah I know but in reality he strained his pec muscle which is not a reinjury. I just hope that doesn't mean he's a slacker in the offseason and that's why that happened. I reserve any judgement until he has had adequate playing time.

Its not like it doesnt happen all the time, how do we know he didnt just tweak something and it doesnt feel right. It could be nothing, if it wasnt for this article we probably never have found out.

People are making him out to be some sort of walking injury. It happens in the NFL

You're right, injuries do happen, and we certainly caught the bug last year. It just makes you wonder if he's truly taking care of his body or if he is simply prone to nagging injuries.

His whole senior season, his rookie season, and he's picked up a little something now. It doesn't bode well for him. Hopefully that can change with time. You always have to expect some sort of minor injury when coming back from a bigger injury, it's just one of those things, but it's occuring an awful lot with him since he came here.

Yeah I know but in reality he strained his pec muscle which is not a reinjury. I just hope that doesn't mean he's a slacker in the offseason and that's why that happened. I reserve any judgement until he has had adequate playing time.

Agreed, I know it isn't a reinjury, but it is still something that's keeping him out of the intended plans.

I hope his body can heal itself, that's why he was on IR last season. He just seems to pick things up easily.

"...I’m guessing the Falcons see Weatherspoon as a replacement for Peterson, if the veteran shows any signs of slowing down. But I’m also thinking they view Weatherspoon as a potential upgrade over Nicholas."

He sounds like some of us on the AFMB. :D

You're right, injuries do happen, and we certainly caught the bug last year. It just makes you wonder if he's truly taking care of his body or if he is simply prone to nagging injuries.

His whole senior season, his rookie season, and he's picked up a little something now. It doesn't bode well for him. Hopefully that can change with time. You always have to expect some sort of minor injury when coming back from a bigger injury, it's just one of those things, but it's occuring an awful lot with him since he came here.

See thats the thing... The injuries that lingered his senior season carried over to his rookie season because he never had the time to let them heal... Thats why we shut him down his rookie yaer (TD and D-Led said that).

I understand iuf some are somewhat frustrated.... Its only been 1 year tho... allot of players dont play as a rookie or just play Special team.... I want to see Moore on the field also.... I'm not going to worry about the guy missing this mini-camp.... If this was a game week,.... I'm pretty sure he would play.

link

FLOWERY BRANCH, GA. – The Falcons finished their morning minicamp practice and went through their interview sessions. I’ll be back in a few hours with a column on running back Michael Turner and how he’s looking a little different (in other words, slimmer) this year.

But before I get cranking on Turner, I wanted to share some quick observations from the morning session.

Everybody that was supposed to be here was here. No contract holdouts or anything like that. Peria Jerry, Harry Douglas and Jonathan Babineaux didn’t practice as they recover from injuries, but they were watching. Safety William Moore, who had been cleared to practice last week, didn’t practice because he suffered a slight injury in the weight room in recent days and the Falcons are being cautious with his recovery. Turner and quarterback Matt Ryan, who also was injured at the end of last year, were both completely healthy and able to practice.

DUDE!!!!!! WTF!!!!!

Is this guy made of glass or something?? I'm getting really annoyed with all this.

See thats the thing... The injuries that lingered his senior season carried over to his rookie season because he never had the time to let them heal... Thats why we shut him down his rookie yaer (TD and D-Led said that).

I understand iuf some are somewhat frustrated.... Its only been 1 year tho... allot of players dont play as a rookie or just play Special team.... I want to see Moore on the field also.... I'm not going to worry about the guy missing this mini-camp.... If this was a game week,.... I'm pretty sure he would play.

So what your saying is that they guy couldn't get over injuries during the entire off season last year, and now, after having not really playing any football for a year and a half, he's still not ready to go. Yeah, I think we understand. The guy has real durability problems.

So what your saying is that they guy couldn't get over injuries during the entire off season last year, and now, after having not really playing any football for a year and a half, he's still not ready to go. Yeah, I think we understand. The guy has real durability problems.

That or he's a sissy! Man up and play some GD ball!

:angry: