Atlanta Falcons unleash revamped secondary

Here's the link

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-falcons/falcons-get-look-at-521714.html

The secondary was 28th overall last year. Hopefully, the new Secondary Coach

Tim Lewis can provide a more effective coaching technique. It is do or die for

a lot of these guys, especially, William Moore SS. Again he has proven to be the

weakest link when it comes to high draft picks that doesn't produce. I can only

imagine the plethora of defensive backs we could have picked if we weren't enamored

by the potential this guy exhibited. This year he must prove his worth or the FO

will be forced to cut their losses. Thomas DeCoud and Brent Grimes are the bright

spots in our backfield. Their growth last year proved their worth and this year the

sky is the limit. I am holding my judgment for Dunta Robinson. Mainly, because

when a player receives the type of money he did in the off-season, there tends to

be a drop off of effort. (i.e. DeAngelo Hall) Therefore, until he prove he's

worth the money, he's just another free-agent that received a big pay check. All in

all I wish the guys luck during mini camp.

In case there were others like myself who clicked to read the actual article, not the OP's nonsensical yammering...

Flowery Branch -- The Falcons ripped apart their secondary and brought in a new secondary coach after finishing 28th in the NFL against the pass last season.

The unit, with all of the new faces, will receive the most scrutiny when the Falcons open their mandatory minicamp Friday.

They will hold two practices Friday, two Saturday and one Sunday.

"We'll have everybody here," Falcons coach Mike Smith said.

Defensive tackles Peria Jerry (knee) and Jonathan Babineaux (shoulder), cornerback Brian Williams (knee), safety William Moore (strained pectoral) and wide receiver Harry Douglas (knee) will be held out of the minicamp because of injuries.

Jerry, Williams and Douglas are recovering from injuries suffered last season. Babineaux and Moore have minor injuries and are being held out for precautionary reasons. Both should be ready when organized team activities start May 25.

Also, several of the veterans in Smith's "Over 30 Club" will participate in only one practice a day and have their repetitions reduced.

The Falcons finished the 2009 season with 13 defensive backs on the roster and injured reserve. Six of them were either traded, released or not offered contracts.

The biggest moves were at cornerback, where they traded starter Chris Houston to the Detroit Lions and released Tye Hill. In free agency, the Falcons signed Dunta Robinson, who received a six-year, $57.5 million contract. They also added Dominique Franks in the fifth round of the draft.

Reserve safeties Charlie Peprah, Eric Brock, Antoine Harris and Jamaal Fudge were not re-signed. The Falcons signed free-agent Matt Giordano, drafted Shann Schillinger in the sixth round and signed college free agents Rafael Bush of South Carolina State and Gabe Derricks of San Diego.

In addition to all of the new faces in the secondary, Tim Lewis was hired to replace Emmitt Thomas as the team's secondary coach.

"I really think that there is going to be some real competition back there at the [defensive back] spots," Smith said. "I think it's probably going to be the most closely watched area that we'll have during this offseason."

While with the Houston Texans, Robinson defended the opposition's top receiver and moved around the field. The Falcons, under Smith, have let their cornerbacks stay on one side of the field.

Robinson started his career as a right cornerback and likely will take over at Houston's old spot on the left side.

Brent Grimes, who played well down the stretch at right cornerback, led the team with six interceptions last season. He figures to be in a battle with Christopher Owens, Chevis Jackson and Williams, when he returns, for the other starting position.

At strong safety, the Falcons hope that Moore can mount a challenge for the starting job. Erik Coleman, a free safety most of his career, played strong safety last season.

Free safety Thomas DeCoud is the closest thing the Falcons have to an entrenched returning starter in the secondary. He had a fine second season and will be counted on to continue to blossom.

Smith met with the team Thursday night.

"Guys will be told that it's an open competition and that our track record as a staff speaks for itself as far as evaluating everybody on a level playing field," Smith said before the meeting. "It doesn't matter what round they were drafted, whether if they are college free agents. They are going to get an opportunity to compete. The best 53 guys are going to make our roster."

Here's the link

http://www.ajc.com/s...-at-521714.html

. It is do or die for a lot of these guys, especially, William Moore SS. Again he has proven to be the

weakest link when it comes to high draft picks that doesn't produce.

This year he must prove his worth or the FO will be forced to cut their losses.

I am holding my judgment for Dunta Robinson. Mainly, because

when a player receives the type of money he did in the off-season, there tends to

worth the money, he's just another free-agent that received a big pay check.

All in all I wish the guys luck during mini camp.

Geeze Darryl that was Harsh !

Man I know that you are a, Old School ,Hard Nosed son of a gun, but dayummm.

Anybody have a picture of a Baby being thrown out with the Bath Water?

CA

Here's the link

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-falcons/falcons-get-look-at-521714.html

The secondary was 28th overall last year. Hopefully, the new Secondary Coach

Tim Lewis can provide a more effective coaching technique. It is do or die for

a lot of these guys, especially, William Moore SS. Again he has proven to be the

weakest link when it comes to high draft picks that doesn't produce. I can only

imagine the plethora of defensive backs we could have picked if we weren't enamored

by the potential this guy exhibited. This year he must prove his worth or the FO

will be forced to cut their losses. Thomas DeCoud and Brent Grimes are the bright

spots in our backfield. Their growth last year proved their worth and this year the

sky is the limit. I am holding my judgment for Dunta Robinson. Mainly, because

worth the money, he's just another free-agent that received a big pay check. All in

all I wish the guys luck during mini camp.

How can it be do or die for Moore? He was drafted last season and was injured, so if thats the case i guess its do or die for Jerry too huh? Give the guy more then 1 year, heck give the guy half a season before you say its do or die.

How can it be do or die for Moore? He was drafted last season and was injured, so if thats the case i guess its do or die for Jerry too huh? Give the guy more then 1 year, heck give the guy half a season before you say its do or die.

The coaches know more than you or this author about what is going to happen to Moore. If he isn't working hard enough they know.

Do not insult Jerry by comparing him to Moore. At least Jerry contributed last year.

Moore showed he could run the field on special team, my daughter can do that.

The coaches know more than you or this author about what is going to happen to Moore. If he isn't working hard enough they know.

I never said he was or wasnt working hard. I was referring to the fact that the OP said that its do or die for Moore. Hes been in the league for a year and was hurt, the same as Jerry. How can it be "do or die" already. Did you click the link or just read the first post, because the first post isnt the article its the OP's opinion

Do not insult Jerry by comparing him to Moore. At least Jerry contributed last year.

Moore showed he could run the field on special team, my daughter can do that.

Why are you crying about William Moore? Get over it,theres other players on the team, he was put on IR last year not because he was not going to get better thruoughout the season but because TD and Smith felt it would be better for him to fully heal and get as much film work in as possible.

I will not be worried about Moore until I here something about his groin again. Until then he has a minor injury and your not going to risk further injury to a player when he will be starting at some point this season.

Why are you crying about William Moore? Get over it,theres other players on the team, he was put on IR last year not because he was not going to get better thruoughout the season but because TD and Smith felt it would be better for him to fully heal and get as much film work in as possible.

I will not be worried about Moore until I here something about his groin again. Until then he has a minor injury and your not going to risk further injury to a player when he will be starting at some point this season.

I'm crying because Miami chose Sean Smith after we selected Wil Moorehurt. If he

breaks a fingernail he can't practice. :(

I'm crying because Miami chose Sean Smith after we selected Wil Moorehurt. If he

breaks a fingernail he can't practice. :(

Come on I know your upset about Moore but lets be reasonable. William Moore was drafted to take either Decoud or Coleamns spot. Well we know he wont be taking Decoud's spot but William Moore will be a starter either at the beggining of the season or some point thru the season if healthy.

Now you can be worried about Moore being injured prone but theres no way you can be worried about Moore being a bust. Give him a chance to showcase his skills first.

I call it like I see it.

Maybe calling them is not really your thing. ;) It would have been a little more forthcoming on your part to state that these are your opinions and the actual article is in the link and not in the body of your post. Although it became obvious that even Schultz is not this over the top and presumptious.

Maybe calling them is not really your thing. ;) It would have been a little more forthcoming on your part to state that these are your opinions and the actual article is in the link and not in the body of your post. Although it became obvious that even Schultz is not this over the top and presumptious.

Thank you!

In case there were others like myself who clicked to read the actual article, not the OP's nonsensical yammering...

Flowery Branch -- The Falcons ripped apart their secondary and brought in a new secondary coach after finishing 28th in the NFL against the pass last season.

The unit, with all of the new faces, will receive the most scrutiny when the Falcons open their mandatory minicamp Friday.

They will hold two practices Friday, two Saturday and one Sunday.

"We'll have everybody here," Falcons coach Mike Smith said.

Defensive tackles Peria Jerry (knee) and Jonathan Babineaux (shoulder), cornerback Brian Williams (knee), safety William Moore (strained pectoral) and wide receiver Harry Douglas (knee) will be held out of the minicamp because of injuries.

Jerry, Williams and Douglas are recovering from injuries suffered last season. Babineaux and Moore have minor injuries and are being held out for precautionary reasons. Both should be ready when organized team activities start May 25.

Also, several of the veterans in Smith's "Over 30 Club" will participate in only one practice a day and have their repetitions reduced.

The Falcons finished the 2009 season with 13 defensive backs on the roster and injured reserve. Six of them were either traded, released or not offered contracts.

The biggest moves were at cornerback, where they traded starter Chris Houston to the Detroit Lions and released Tye Hill. In free agency, the Falcons signed Dunta Robinson, who received a six-year, $57.5 million contract. They also added Dominique Franks in the fifth round of the draft.

Reserve safeties Charlie Peprah, Eric Brock, Antoine Harris and Jamaal Fudge were not re-signed. The Falcons signed free-agent Matt Giordano, drafted Shann Schillinger in the sixth round and signed college free agents Rafael Bush of South Carolina State and Gabe Derricks of San Diego.

In addition to all of the new faces in the secondary, Tim Lewis was hired to replace Emmitt Thomas as the team's secondary coach.

"I really think that there is going to be some real competition back there at the [defensive back] spots," Smith said. "I think it's probably going to be the most closely watched area that we'll have during this offseason."

While with the Houston Texans, Robinson defended the opposition's top receiver and moved around the field. The Falcons, under Smith, have let their cornerbacks stay on one side of the field.

Robinson started his career as a right cornerback and likely will take over at Houston's old spot on the left side.

Brent Grimes, who played well down the stretch at right cornerback, led the team with six interceptions last season. He figures to be in a battle with Christopher Owens, Chevis Jackson and Williams, when he returns, for the other starting position.

At strong safety, the Falcons hope that Moore can mount a challenge for the starting job. Erik Coleman, a free safety most of his career, played strong safety last season.

Free safety Thomas DeCoud is the closest thing the Falcons have to an entrenched returning starter in the secondary. He had a fine second season and will be counted on to continue to blossom.

Smith met with the team Thursday night.

"Guys will be told that it's an open competition and that our track record as a staff speaks for itself as far as evaluating everybody on a level playing field," Smith said before the meeting. "It doesn't matter what round they were drafted, whether if they are college free agents. They are going to get an opportunity to compete. The best 53 guys are going to make our roster."

Thanx for the real article "nonsensical yammering" :lol:

Edited by I.MUS WRITE