See if you can count all the contradictions in Eric Holder's position on this issue......

JDaveG

Gold Dome Live

U.S. attorney general calls Ga. gun bill ‘worrisome’

9:38 am May 7, 2010, by Aaron Gould Sheinin

Legislation now before Gov. Sonny Perdue that would allow people to carry loaded guns into parts of the state’s airports “is very worrisome,” U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said in a congressional hearing on Thursday.

Holder told a U.S. Senate panel that Georgia’s proposed law is problematic.

“The notion that people could bring guns to airports especially given the al-Qaida focus of the use of airplanes as terrorist tools, is one, to me, that is very worrisome,” Holder said. “I would hope we try to keep weapons, guns away from the very instruments that al-Qaida and other organizations successfully used on September 11th and have continued to try to use in the present and I suspect in the future as well.”

Holder was responding to a question from U.S. Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.) during a hearing before the Senate Appropriations Committee. See the exchange here.

“It was reported that the Times Square bomber left a loaded handgun in his car at JFK as he tried to make his escape,” Lautenberg said. “The state of Georgia, the state Legislature, recently passed a bill that would allow people to carry a loaded gun into an airport. Do you support allowing people to carry loaded guns into an American airport?”

Holder said the Supreme Court has upheld the 2nd Amendment right to own guns. “That doesn’t mean, however, that that right is one that absolute,” Holder said. “We have to balance that individual right against our collective security.”

Georgia’s General Assembly last week gave final approval to a bill that would allow licensed gun owners to carry loaded weapons into non-secure areas of airports, including Hartsfield-Jackson International. The bill does not allow the guns past airport security checkpoints.

Perdue has not indicated whether he will sign the bill.

So I presume you think that people should be allowed to be strapped, no matter the setting?

Of course that's what I mean.

I mean, it's the most extreme and ridiculous extrapolation of my statements so far, so why wouldn't it be?

"See if you can count all the contradictions in Eric Holder's position on this issue......"

No.

Let me help...

“The notion that people could bring guns to airports especially given the al-Qaida focus of the use of airplanes as terrorist tools, is one, to me, that is very worrisome,” Holder said. “I would hope we try to keep weapons, guns away from the very instruments that al-Qaida and other organizations successfully used on September 11th and have continued to try to use in the present and I suspect in the future as well.”

Holder's position is that if we allow guns near airports, people like al-Qaida and other organizations will use them to steal airplanes and kill Americans. Well, if people like al-Qaida (which is to say, if just ANYONE) could carry in an airport, that MIGHT be true. Except.....

Georgia’s General Assembly last week gave final approval to a bill that would allow licensed gun owners to carry loaded weapons into non-secure areas of airports, including Hartsfield-Jackson International. The bill does not allow the guns past airport security checkpoints.

So it's only licensed gun owners that can carry weapons into non-secure areas, and they are not allowed into the terminal area.

Nice try, Mr. Attorney General (with a nice assist from Sen. Lautenberg, a noted liar on this issue himself).

Ah, so I see. Licensed gun owners don't commit crime. :ph34r:

Do you happen to know what the odds are that a licensed gun owner will commit a crime vis-a-vis the rest of society?

If that's the point, this thread is kind of pointless. By the time the act occurs, it doesn't matter if the person was licensed or not, it's already too late.

So, then, taking your tendencies toward absurdities, I should conclude that you believe everyone should be locked away and stripped of their freedom? After all, the fact that they have done nothing wrong will be cold comfort after they commit a crime. It's too late, then.

Of course, that's not exactly my point. MY point is that Lautenberg and Holder are ignoring the fact that it is only licensed, law abiding gun owners who are permitted to carry at the airport anyway and even then only in the terminal area, and making the gross leap of logic to claim that because of this law, Al-Qaida members will be able to bring in guns and hijack airplanes.

Put another way, they're lying and using scare tactics to try to move a political agenda.