Dan Klecko... Potential Dark Horse on DL?

dan-klecko.jpg

Oh yeah, we did sign him. Don't pretend anyone has so much as mentioned his name past the day he was signed.

Remember, the Pats took Klecko in 2003 in the 4th round, under Dimitroff.

At just under 6 ft and 275 lbs, he had no real position in a 3-4 defense. He is a special teams ace and fullback, but doesn't really have the best size at FB.

He has good speed and good size to play on our defensive line, and with his history with Dimitroff, he might stick around. At that size he could probably play DE as well. It looks like he only got limited play time on defense, but still has way more sacks than Jamaal Anderson. He was one of the first signings by Atlanta once the offseason started, and may make a roster spot just because of his versatility and good ST's play.

Not saying start, but roster spot. Plenty of people are trying to figure out who stays and who goes, and this guy isn't usually mentioned.

I think he is probably a better guy to turn to in a big game if you need him more than a Thomas Johnson or Vance Walker, just because of his experience.

I think he is probably a better guy to turn to in a big game if you need him more than a Thomas Johnson or Vance Walker, just because of his experience.

I would definitely not want to keep Klecko over Thomas Johnson or Vance Walker. How many snaps has Klecko even taken at DT, I remember him mainly playing FB with Philly.

I would definitely not want to keep Klecko over Thomas Johnson or Vance Walker. How many snaps has Klecko even taken at DT, I remember him mainly playing FB with Philly.

Philly was moving him to DT until their FB got injured. Well, they signed him as a FB, then moved to DT, then back to FB I think. If Philly thinks he was good enough to try and move to DT, then he must have some sort of potential at DT in a 4-3.

I've been wondering how Klecko went under the radar while all these low round draft picks dominate the minds of many. I think he will be a factor.

I still think TJ is the man to beat at NT though. Unless Babineaux catches a long suspension or some jail time. That goes for Klecko, Peters, Vance, Trey and yes, Peria.

TJ is a street free agent. Probably workin at Home Depot last year. Falcons called him up. He proceeded to make hella plays in MC, OTAs and PS. They gave the job to Jerry on draft status. When Jerry got hurt TJ took over again. Screwed up in a game and got cursed out on the bench. Proceeded to return to that game and whoop some as.

To me this guy has some nice potential. He could be at least like a Jason Snelling. If he can step his game up he might even be like a Jesse Tuggle.

Philly was moving him to DT until their FB got injured. Well, they signed him as a FB, then moved to DT, then back to FB I think. If Philly thinks he was good enough to try and move to DT, then he must have some sort of potential at DT in a 4-3.

FB only please would be my request, dont see a fit for him at DT

two points

1. For those talking about Klecko as a FB this is from J. Mikes article when Klecko signed.

"According to the AJC, the Falcons consider Klecko a defensive lineman."

I think he is a long shot to make the 53 man roster. (At DE or DT).

2. As for T Johnson starting at DT, the major complaint by Mike Smith abouut the lack of

a pass rush was "no push up the middle". Since Babs was rated the #1 DT in the league,

I assume the non push came from Johnson or Walker, whoever was in the game.

So I just do not see Johnson holding on to the starting job there.

Edited by delaigle

two points

1. For those talking about Klecko as a FB this is from J. Mikes article when Clecko signed.

2. As for T Johnson starting at DT, the major complaint by Mike Smith abouut the lack of

a pass rush was "no push up the middle". Since Babs was rated the #1 DT in the league,

Well there you have it it is a long shot for him to make the team, maybe a chance at DE than DT, too much good competition at DT IMO. I think that JOhnson played pretty good, He is not known for pass rushing but he is one of our better Run Blocking DT, I think it will be between Walker and Johnson as to who we keep, but I do think that Walker may have more potential as a pass rusher than JOhnson.

two points

1. For those talking about Klecko as a FB this is from J. Mikes article when Klecko signed.

Who had him rated as #1?

Well there you have it it is a long shot for him to make the team, maybe a chance at DE than DT, too much good competition at DT IMO. I think that JOhnson played pretty good, He is not known for pass rushing but he is one of our better Run Blocking DT, I think it will be between Walker and Johnson as to who we keep, but I do think that Walker may have more potential as a pass rusher than JOhnson.

Yes, if you look at DT

Babs, Lewis,Bryant, KLECKO

Jerry, Peters, Johnson, Walker

They normally keep 4. So if they do the same in 2010

Babs, Jerry, Peters are pretty much locked

So Klecko would have to beat out all of these

Johnson, Lewis, Walker, and Bryant to make the 53 man roster

AT DE

Anderson Davis, Henley, KLECKO

Abe, Bierman, Sidbury, Stephens

The normally keep 5. So if they do the same in 2010

Abe, Bierman , Sidbury are pretty much locked

They leaves 2 slots

So Klecko would have toe beat out all but one of these

Anderson, Davis, Henley, Stephens to make the 53 man roster.

That's why I think it's a long shot.

Edited by delaigle