Who does Meier remind you of?

Falco4

I am really excited for this Meier kid. The guy is an absolute athlete, and plays so many positions. He can throw, punt, receive punts, run, and catch passes. Again, another example of TD choosing a universal "cog" for the team, no doubt a philosophy of the New England system.

I've been trying to figure out a current NFL player that this kid will mirror when he starts playing. Honestly, the first thing that came to mind was Steve Smith (giants, not panties). Possession receiver, very smart, not overwhelming speed, great hands, and a great route runner. This kid might not make a huge impact this upcoming season, but he'll impress us a couple of times, and he will play a bigger role for the 2011 season.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

who does meier remind me of???ummm, an overhyped late draft pick rookie that hasnt touched the field yet, but is getting to much attention. Not trying to be negative or anything, but i just dont get all this overhype about meier. What he did in college is just that. He was probably a man amongst boys on the field in college, but this is a different level. Not saying he doesnt have the potential to be a good reciever and i understand as a falcon we are suppose to hope for the best of all our players but i mean dang, i thought we drafted a protege of jerry rice in his prime the way meier gets talked about.

who does meier remind me of???ummm, an overhyped late draft pick rookie that hasnt touched the field yet, but is getting to much attention. Not trying to be negative or anything, but i just dont get all this overhype about meier. What he did in college is just that. He was probably a man amongst boys on the field in college, but this is a different level. Not saying he doesnt have the potential to be a good reciever and i understand as a falcon we are suppose to hope for the best of all our players but i mean dang, i thought we drafted a protege of jerry rice in his prime the way meier gets talked about.

What are you talking about? The poster said he's a possession receiver that might make a few plays this year and really develop next year. How is that hyperbole? If anything, you should be praising this guy for keeping it real- he's talking about potential here.

There is a guy that he reminds me of, but it's not a reciever. I think the Falcons envision bulking him up a little bit and making a pass catching TE of him. He really reminds me of a slimmer version of Jeremy Shockey.

What are you talking about? The poster said he's a possession receiver that might make a few plays this year and really develop next year. How is that hyperbole? If anything, you should be praising this guy for keeping it real- he's talking about potential here.

precisely. I'm not comparing Meier to anyone special here...Steve Smith is, by no stretch of the imagination, an elite receiver (despite having an awesome season last year). what Meier is, and forgive me for not having a supercool football term here, is an "always-in-the-right-place-at-the-right-time" receiver. He has got great hands, and frankly, not many defenses will pay attention to him. If he can find some soft spots in the D, along with the attention focused on White/TG, he'll make some big plays. They won't be dramatic TD runs, but the type of plays that will move the chains.

jenkins makes a few more plays, yet he doesnt get all the praise he deserves. I can just imagine if we drafted dez bryant, this board would label him the next michael irvin. meier is too overrated on this board right now, thats all im saying. What he did in college doesnt matter now. Sometimes those skills dont translate to the nfl example, mike williams/charles rodgers/dywayne jarrett and you can even add roy williams to that list kinda sorta. All had great college careers but 1 not in the nfl anymore, mike williams i believe got picked up by the seahawks after being MIA, jarrett is not really the reciever he was at USC, and even though roy spent bascially his whole career in detriot, he did not live up to the level that he played when he was at texas.

jenkins makes a few more plays, yet he doesnt get all the praise he deserves. I can just imagine if we drafted dez bryant, this board would label him the next michael irvin. meier is too overrated on this board right now, thats all im saying. What he did in college doesnt matter now. Sometimes those skills dont translate to the nfl example, mike williams/charles rodgers/dywayne jarrett and you can even add roy williams to that list kinda sorta. All had great college careers but 1 not in the nfl anymore, mike williams i believe got picked up by the seahawks after being MIA, jarrett is not really the reciever he was at USC, and even though roy spent bascially his whole career in detriot, he did not live up to the level that he played when he was at texas.

LOL. YOu representating that Jenkins FAn Club. YOu talking about 1st round picks that didnt live up to the Media hype and hype that comes with being a 1st rounder. Meier is not being overhpyed by many except a few posters, most have a realistic expectation of Meier for this year, but Meier does have long term potential to be what Jenkins has not been as a possession WR, I am hoping that Meier does play to his potential.

After your post Jaymadd, I thought of this...

Is it possible that Meier and Wolfe could be long-term replacements for two of our starters???

If Jenkins production doesn't improve this year, Meier could indeed take over the #2, while if Douglas' injury continues to hinder his play, could Wolfe, eventually, take the slot position from him??? I believe TD brought these guys in for more than just depth reasons, they're insurance.

None of that has anything to do with this thread- the OP said he had a good college career, reminded him of a current possession receiver in the NFL, thought he could make a few plays this year and develop into a good player later.

Where's the hype? where's the over rating?

After your post Jaymadd, I thought of this...

Is it possible that Meier and Wolfe could be long-term replacements for two of our starters???

If Jenkins production doesn't improve this year, Meier could indeed take over the #2, while if Douglas' injury continues to hinder his play, could Wolfe, eventually, take the slot position from him??? I believe these guys are more than just depth, they're insurance.

Possibly I could see wolfe in the role of the #4 WR, I actually think that HD will be fine, he doesnt have a history of injuries and the ACL injury was a random injury that could happen to anyone. I do like the WR's that we have bought in and I do hope that both of them find a spot on the 53 man roster, not just the Practice Squad. I guess i will get a sneak peak at their potential in Mini Camp on SAt - Yeah Buddy.

LOL. YOu representating that Jenkins FAn Club. YOu talking about 1st round picks that didnt live up to the Media hype and hype that comes with being a 1st rounder. Meier is not being overhpyed by many except a few posters, most have a realistic expectation of Meier for this year, but Meier does have long term potential to be what Jenkins has not been as a possession WR, I am hoping that Meier does play to his potential.

you already kno, gotta hold down MJ12 all day every day. After reading that thread about meier will be one of ryan's favorite targets this season, and seeing some posters sayin roddy might be traded, that was really the last straw. Ive never seen this board so hyped up about a rookie that hasnt stepped on the field yet.

jenkins makes a few more plays, yet he doesnt get all the praise he deserves.

Give me a break. Jenkins is a 1st round pick making 5 mil a year whose cracked 80 yards recieving in a game 4 times in 6 years and never had more than 83 yards recieving in a game.

The guy is not starting material, never has been, yet the Falcons have been running him out there as a starter for 5 years.

you already kno, gotta hold down MJ12 all day every day. After reading that thread about meier will be one of ryan's favorite targets this season, and seeing some posters sayin roddy might be traded, that was really the last straw. Ive never seen this board so hyped up about a rookie that hasnt stepped on the field yet.

First of all, you have to be kidding, it happens every single year.

That being said, I think the hype about Ryan Wolfe is much worse. He wasn't even drafted and somebody on here the other day said that he is a better reciever than Terrell Owens right now.

Give me a break. Jenkins is a 1st round pick making 5 mil a year whose cracked 80 yards recieving in a game 4 times in 6 years and never had more than 83 yards recieving in a game.

The guy is not starting material, never has been, yet the Falcons have been running him out there as a starter for 5 years.

so the issue with you is how much money he is getting paid???

First of all, you have to be kidding, it happens every single year.

That being said, I think the hype about Ryan Wolfe is much worse. He wasn't even drafted and somebody on here the other day said that he is a better reciever than Terrell Owens right now.

Yeah the Hype is crazy and what makes it even worse is the fact that People start to believe the hype. I am just hoping that we have enought spots on the PS for the promising UDFA that we have bought in.

Come on now crank, I dont see the problem with posters being excited about new players coming in regardless if they are a 1st round pick or an undrafted rookie.

Do you not read a post before you reply? Where is the hype in this thread?

And I never said Meier would take White's, Gonzo's, HD's , or Jenkin's place. I had nothing to do with the "trade White" nonsense.

I said:

"Meier is big, runs good routes,is a willing blocker ,and most importantly, catches everything he can get his hands on.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him in 3 receiver sets the first game. "

That's not hyperbole- that's simply a fan being optimistic.

The exaggeration came later when you said that we should ignore GOnzo and White and make Meier the new number 1- which is NOT what I said.