6'7 260lbs Michael Johnson

link

Here is the corollary to Zimmer’s quest for more pressure. Right end Michael Johnson is going to play primarily SAM linebacker during the spring in an effort to mix up the looks and confuse offenses. If the 6-7 and infinitely athletic Johnson can make the move, Zimmer has his 3-4 wild card. Will he rush or will he drop? Anything to get pressure. Johnson was quite active as a rookie despite playing mainly on third down with three sacks and five passes defensed.

Rotoworld

Spring is the time for coaches to experiment with new schemes, and coordinator Mike Zimmer wants to try Johnson as a "3-4 wild card" for a different look on passing downs. Playing mostly on third downs last season, Johnson showed playmaking promise with three sacks and five passes batted down.

He also had 11 QB pressures... Michael Johnson is going to be a player..They want to make him a Brian Orapko type LB/DE ... He is that freak of nature that can create pressure.. Dude has been busting his *** since day 1 (since he was drafted) ... I remember when his M.O was that he was lazy or a hot and cold motor.... Like i said then... I think it was the way he was coached in college.

I think Michael Johnson and Lawrence Sidbury will have really good years next year.

It will be interesting to see how he does this season. It sounds like he is doing pretty well in Cincy. Either we were off about his motor or he has been motivated, or perhaps a combination of the two. Good for him either way if he plays well.

I am not usually one to brag, but I told you sooooo. J/K. I am glad to hear he is having success, i wish him much success expect when we play the Bengals this year.

I am not usually one to brag, but I told you sooooo. J/K. I am glad to hear he is having success, i wish him much success expect when we play the Bengals this year.

lol. I had that coming. However I have never been one to make excuses, I am more than capable of admitting when I'm wrong. The way it sounds... this may be one of those times. We will just have to see. But I agree, I hope he gets completely taken out of the game this year when we play the Bengals. lol

I liked MJ too. He wasnt worth a 1st, but i would of jumped on him for a 2nd...

The Bengals got a steal imho. Even if he averages 6-7 sacks a season, for a 3rd you cant complain... With his build and athleticism, i think he can be a regular double digit sack man though

Bengals also got another steal this year with Dunlap. They're going to have a terrific pass rush from the outsides.

If MJ and Dunlap both develop, then yes they could have a great pass rush from the DE spot. But if ya'll thought I was down on MJ I am even more down on Dunlap. Between the DUI and his poor motor I would be surprised if he became the steal you envision him to be.

If MJ and Dunlap both develop, then yes they could have a great pass rush from the DE spot. But if ya'll thought I was down on MJ I am even more down on Dunlap. Between the DUI and his poor motor I would be surprised if he became the steal you envision him to be.

Yeah i never wanted Dunlap, at least with MJ i saw the speed/burst on the outside, but with Dunlap I dont see it.

Yeah i never wanted Dunlap, at least with MJ i saw the speed/burst on the outside, but with Dunlap I dont see it.

You don't necessarily need elite speed or burst from the LDE spot which is where Dunlap should be playing. However, his long limbs more than makes up for this because he can gain ground very quickly. With a little coaching and maturity in terms of pass-rushing moves, he should be a top LDE.

You don't necessarily need elite speed or burst from the LDE spot which is where Dunlap should be playing. However, his long limbs more than makes up for this because he can gain ground very quickly. With a little coaching and maturity in terms of pass-rushing moves, he should be a top LDE.

I just didnt want Dunlap as a Falcon, he may work for another team, but I thought Johnson fit that is all after seeing JA98 I would like a LDE that can get off the line and has a speed rush.

Yea... I wanted MJ also..... I didnt like Dunlap either.... I think he wants to prove some wrong tho...

But yea... Michael Johnson ... I wanted him also.... H is in the same boat Biermann was in during his rookie year (shows promise)... except... I cant lie... Michael Johnson looked better then Biermann as a rookie....

I think they are making a mistake trying to make him an Orapko.... They need to let dude develope his body as a DE (unless they play 3-4

He had an OK rookie season...3 sacks tied for 8th among rookies.

I called it like i saw it last offseason...that he wouldnt be worthy of a first round pick, which he wasnt then still isnt....and that he could be decent if he ever actually tried on a regular basis.

That has still yet to be seen, but at worst, he should be a good role player for the Bengals.

He had an OK rookie season...3 sacks tied for 8th among rookies.

I called it like i saw it last offseason...that he wouldnt be worthy of a first round pick, which he wasnt then still isnt....and that he could be decent if he ever actually tried on a regular basis.

That has still yet to be seen, but at worst, he should be a good role player for the Bengals.

3 sacks, 11 QB pressures for a backup rookie is real good....

If you thought Biermann had a promising rookie season..... Michael Johnson had a more promising...

I'm not comparing him and Biermann like i want him over Biermann..... I just feel like some of you was so stuck on not liking MJ that yall don't want to give the man his due respect for working hard and showing promise....

The Bengals fans are super excited about Michael Johnson.... They really feel like they have something special....

I'm not saying he is a sure fire hit.... Just saying.. Everything everyone said about him predraft... The Bengals havnt seen that guy.

Yeah he had a good rookie season. I will definitley give him that. Did he ever get the start after Odom went down with that achilles injury?

I say that because i am trying to figure out how many snaps he played vs the snaps Biermann played his rookie year.

Either way i would rather have a personality like Biermann who is never going to stop and who is always looking to step up his game. But who knows maybe MJ will be like that too.

Yeah he had a good rookie season. I will definitley give him that. Did he ever get the start after Odom went down with that achilles injury?

I say that because i am trying to figure out how many snaps he played vs the snaps Biermann played his rookie year.

Either way i would rather have a personality like Biermann who is never going to stop and who is always looking to step up his game. But who knows maybe MJ will be like that too.

Naw... He dint start...

And im not comparing MJ and Biermann... I dont want MJ over Biermann ... I'm just saying he has shown promise like Biermann did his rookie year...

Naw... He dint start...

And im not comparing MJ and Biermann... I dont want MJ over Biermann ... I'm just saying he has shown promise like Biermann did his rookie year...

My post wasn't directed at you. Im not saying anyone said they'd rather have MJ over Biermann. I am just saying I would.

Either way both of them seem like they will be good pro's. The only question mark i have is if MJ is going to put in the work or not. Dude does have a pretty high ceiling.

Lets see how he does when he actually plays consistent downs and starts getting tired come 3rd and 4th quarters.

Edited by Clark Kent

3 sacks, 11 QB pressures for a backup rookie is real good....

If you thought Biermann had a promising rookie season..... Michael Johnson had a more promising...

I'm not comparing him and Biermann like i want him over Biermann..... I just feel like some of you was so stuck on not liking MJ that yall don't want to give the man his due respect for working hard and showing promise....

The Bengals fans are super excited about Michael Johnson.... They really feel like they have something special....

I'm not saying he is a sure fire hit.... Just saying.. Everything everyone said about him predraft... The Bengals havnt seen that guy.

Of course they do...they got an athletic specimen in the 3rd round.

His ceiling is much higher than Kroy's.

We'll see if he decides to finally harness that.

Of course they do...they got an athletic specimen in the 3rd round.

His ceiling is much higher than Kroy's.

We'll see if he decides to finally harness that.

Perhaps his ceiling is much higher than Kroy's purely based on athleticism, but that does not mean Johnson will end up the better DE even if he does harness his talents.

Kroy can end up being extraordinarily similar to former Cardinals and Titans DE, and current Lions DE, Kyle Vanden Bosch. Early on in his career Vanden Bosch weighed 270 lbs at 6'4. Kroy is currently 260 lbs at 6'3. Neither are very athletic, but both have world-class motors and are very hard workers and stand up people.

In the first two seasons of his career, Vanden Bosch started 19 games and had 4 sacks.

In the first two seasons of Kroy's career, he has started 2 games and had 7 sacks.

Vanden Bosch didn't get any sacks over the next two years of his career, but when he signed in free agency with the Titans entering his 5th season, he then exploded for 31 sacks over the next 3 seasons.

Vanden Bosch didn't produce until his 5th season in the league, Kroy produced 5 sacks while only starting 2 games in his 2nd season.

I don't see why Kroy Biermann can't become a very similar player to Kyle Vanden Bosch who is one of the better DEs in the entire league, according to Colts guru Bill Polian.

The only thing that separates Biermann from Vanden Bosch at this very moment, aside from experience and production obviously, is 1 inch and 15 lbs (KVB is currently playing around 275 lbs). He may be a slightly worse run defender because of that, but that should not affect his sack totals going forward.

You don't always need supreme athleticism to be a very good DE in the NFL. The same was the case for our very own Patrick Kerney in his prime, even though he is more athletic than KVB and Biermann, but certainly not close to Michael Johnson or a guy like Everson Griffen who fell to the 4th round despite other-worldly athleticism.

Perhaps his ceiling is much higher than Kroy's purely based on athleticism, but that does not mean Johnson will end up the better DE even if he does harness his talents.

Kroy can end up being extraordinarily similar to former Cardinals and Titans DE, and current Lions DE, Kyle Vanden Bosch. Early on in his career Vanden Bosch weighed 270 lbs at 6'4. Kroy is currently 260 lbs at 6'3. Neither are very athletic, but both have world-class motors and are very hard workers and stand up people.

In the first two seasons of his career, Vanden Bosch started 19 games and had 4 sacks.

In the first two seasons of Kroy's career, he has started 2 games and had 7 sacks.

Vanden Bosch didn't get any sacks over the next two years of his career, but when he signed in free agency with the Titans entering his 5th season, he then exploded for 31 sacks over the next 3 seasons.

Vanden Bosch didn't produce until his 5th season in the league, Kroy produced 5 sacks while only starting 2 games in his 2nd season.

I don't see why Kroy Biermann can't become a very similar player to Kyle Vanden Bosch who is one of the better DEs in the entire league, according to Colts guru Bill Polian.

The only thing that separates Biermann from Vanden Bosch at this very moment, aside from experience and production obviously, is 1 inch and 15 lbs (KVB is currently playing around 275 lbs). He may be a slightly worse run defender because of that, but that should not affect his sack totals going forward.

You don't always need supreme athleticism to be a very good DE in the NFL. The same was the case for our very own Patrick Kerney in his prime, even though he is more athletic than KVB and Biermann, but certainly not close to Michael Johnson or a guy like Everson Griffen who fell to the 4th round despite other-worldly athleticism.

I have missed feelings about KVB.... Do i think he is a good over all DE... Yes.... Was he ever a great DE... No.... I respect Mr. Bill Polian but i just think he was showing an opponent respect...

You have to love high motor guys because you know what you are going to get game in and game out...The down side to a high motor guys is their stats will always look inconsistent (sack wise) ... This is the biggest things ive noticed between high motor guys and physically gifted DE's .... It seem like High Motor guys have their best seasons when their D-Line or some one on their D-Line is having a great year.....

I think the Coaching Staff gets it.... They knew that for Kroy to shine... He will need an really good pass rush up the middle and we all know what Abe can do....I think Kroy can be a good PK type DE in this league tho.

I get what ki46dinah is saying.... He is not downing Kroy at all... Kroy will do his thing regardless... What he is saying about MJ is that if continue to improve and he pans out ... Dude can be an 10+ sack a year type guy.... He has that type talent that he can make his team mates look good on that D-Line... I'm afraid its not going to happen tho... Not because he is not working hard,,, Ive heard dude has been working his butt off plus he has worked with Chunk Smith the last 2 off seasons (including this one) .. I'm afraid it may not happen because instead of developing the guy as a beast DE... They are trying to make him this super hybrid LB/DE type player....

But yea... I think Biermann can be an 8 sack a year type guy in this league if we build the type of D-Line Coach Smiths want.

I would put Lawrence Sidbury in that Michael Johnson category.... Sid may not be 6'7but he is just as athletic or even more athletic... They have the tools to be speacial at DE.... Its up to them to develop that talent into a special DE.

But yea i wouldnt compare Biemann and MJ because they are 2 different types of DE's.

link

Rotoworld

He also had 11 QB pressures... Michael Johnson is going to be a player..They want to make him a Brian Orapko type LB/DE ... He is that freak of nature that can create pressure.. Dude has been busting his *** since day 1 (since he was drafted) ... I remember when his M.O was that he was lazy or a hot and cold motor.... Like i said then... I think it was the way he was coached in college.

I think Michael Johnson and Lawrence Sidbury will have really good years next year.

If Zimmer plays MJ as a 3-4 OLB, then he'll be playing to his strengths. One of my big issues with MJ was that he didn't seem to be a good fit as a 4-3 DE (IMO). Hope it all works out for him.

Well we are all forgetting that this guy did not have a big piece of the defense. I don't know how many snaps he got, but it couldn't have been that many. Lets see how he does once he has a bigger role and starts getting tired. How will he do in the 3rd and 4th quarter when he is tired.

Will he get lazy like he used to or will he step it up?