Jurrjens goes on DL; Kimbrel to join team from Gwinnett

JTRaines92

The Braves put pitcher Jair Jurrjens on the disabled list Wednesday because of an injured hamstring.

Right-hander Kris Medlen will start Saturday vs. the Phillies. And the Braves have purchased the contract of hard-throwing right-hander Craig Kimbrel. The relief pitcher is expectede to join the team tonight.

More to come.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2010/05/05/jurrjens-to-go-on-dl-kimbrel-to-be-promoted/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_braves_blog&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Holy crap, Kimbrel is gonna beast. I can't wait to see him. That and I can't wait to use Hicks and Kimbrel on The Show!

Surprised they will be starting Medlen. Not because he isn't good (far from it), but because we do have other options. And I am really surprised Kimbrel is already joining the club. He straight beasted in Spring Training. Hope he keeps it up.

Medlen's the best option.

I'd love to see his splits vs. Philly and then everyone else. From I could withstand watching with him toe the rubber, it seemed like Philly just ripped him up every time in no time.

EDIT: Looked it up...

0-3 record, 6.99 ERA, 28 IP, 35 H, 9 2B, 9 HR, 22 ER, .304 OPP AVG

Wow,really though it would be worse than that. Never given up a grand slam either, unlike Buddy Carlyle <_<

Glad Medlen gets another chance to start. I hate that it's in that **** bandbox of a stadium though. I know he is a ground ball guy so let's just hope he was it working come Saturday. Was a little surprised he pitched last night. I'm only expecting 4 innings from him Saturday. Anything more than that would be gravy IMO.

Can't wait to see Kimbrel. He went to Wallace State JC which is only about 15 miles from where I live. I'm pretty sure he's the first guy from there to reach the majors.

Not good. DOB just reported:

Jurrjens felt a "pop" in his hamstring while running striders on field, lower part of muscle than previous injury. MRI when teams gets home. Bobby Cox is hoping it's just something minor, but doesn't sound very minor. Kris Medlen will start May 18 game, rotation in order till then.

• 2 weeks later...

Kimbel was sent down to AAA Gwinnett.

Cox said he wanted Kimbrel to get regular work. Cristhian Martinez has been recalled from Gwinnett.

Which is stupid. I was screaming for Bobby to pitch in Kimbrel to pitch the 9th against the Pirates in Friday. But he had to use O'Flaherty. Why?

If Kimbrel is our future closer then he needs to get use to finishing games in situations where there is no pressure. You can't just throw a rookie into the closer's role. What Andrew Bailey did for the A's last year as a rookie usually doesn't happen.

And yay we call up a guy that had a 5 ERA for the Marlins last year and a 5 ERA for Gwinnett this year! That's really useful!

Mark Bowman writes about why Kimbrel was sent down.

Kimbrel needs more time: The decision to send Craig Kimbrel back to Triple-A Gwinnett further proved why the Braves felt the need to hire Dave Wallace as their new Minor League pitching instructor this offseason.

With Kent Willis handling this role over the course of the past few years, the Braves too often found themselves stocking their Major League pitching staff with young pitchers who still hadn't learned the finer points of their craft.

There are still some concerns about Kimbrel's control. But the six walks he issued in 3 1/3 innings for Atlanta were likely a product of nerves. The kid threw strikes while at Gwinnett earlier this year and he'll likely show this same kind of control when he returns to Atlanta.

More alarming to the Braves Major League coaching staff was the fact that Kimbrel proved to be very slow to the plate while throwing all of his pitches from the stretch. In order to maximize the potential of his tremendous arm, the 21-year-old right-hander will spend the next few weeks and possibly months developing a delivery that will allow him to be less susceptible against opposing basestealers.