Safety Controversey already...

Tough Decision  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Who should start at Stong Safety in Week 1?

• Erik Coleman
    • William Moore
    • Someone Else

Decoud is locked in at Free Safety and for good reason, he's earned his starting job. I like Coleman a lot, great tackler and good veteran. But he isn't a long term solution. I loved the choice of Moore in the 2nd round last year, and he's made it clear that he is unhappy with his rookie season and he wants to play. (It's in this article here: http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/2010/05/04/falcons-safety-william-moore-cleared-to-return-to-practice/

So who should start? The proven average veteran? Or the unproven future?

I went with Moore, Coleman played solid in run support but suprisingly he was not good in coverage as a SS, I think the same thing happened to him with the Jets. Seeing that he was switching from the FS position i kind of expected to see better coverage from Coleman, still surprised by the output. I would say that we should see an improvement this year being that he would be playing in that position for the 2nd year, but since he couldnt grasp in NY then I do wonder how much better he can get. I do however think it aint going to be easy to unseat Coleman based on the fact that he plays the run well, and it is not like he got beat deep in coverage, so Moore is going to have to stay healthly and show up and perform well during camp and preseason.

Gotta go with Jaymadd, in that I have no idea how Coleman was so awesome in coverage at FS, but not at SS.

Depending on who we want on our 53 man roster, and the point we haven't kept much depth at safety, for numbers purposes (and the point I want to see what Moore can do), we put Moore at SS and Coleman backing up both safety spots, and move Schilly to PS, unless we intend for him to play ST's.

Its natural for EVERY FALCONS FAN to want draft picks to beat out the veteran incumbents. That simply means the Falcons upgraded the position when that happens. However, when the incumbent beats out the youngster it only means we are keeping the status quo at that position.

In college, Moore played better in his Junior year than his Senior year. Maybe this was to do with injuries he picked up but it should be noted that Moore played mainly as a FS in his junior year and mainly as a SS in his senior year. He should be a good player at either position but I still think that his best position is at Free Safety. I actually think we should move DeCoud to SS instead. He was very good against the run last year and solid in coverage. However, he doesn't exactly have elite FS instincts and isn't what you'd call a playmaker or a ballhawk. Moore has proved that and more when he played for Missouri and I think that having Moore @ FS with DeCoud @ SS would be the best combination overall.

In college, Moore played better in his Junior year than his Senior year. Maybe this was to do with injuries he picked up but it should be noted that Moore played mainly as a FS in his junior year and mainly as a SS in his senior year. He should be a good player at either position but I still think that his best position is at Free Safety. I actually think we should move DeCoud to SS instead. He was very good against the run last year and solid in coverage. However, he doesn't exactly have elite FS instincts and isn't what you'd call a playmaker or a ballhawk. Moore has proved that and more when he played for Missouri and I think that having Moore @ FS with DeCoud @ SS would be the best combination overall.

It has already been stated that the FS/SS are interchangeable. Decoud was better than solid in coverage he was good considering that he didnt let many passes get behind him and as ofter asked to cover the TE. Decoud has very good range. I think that MOore was drafted all along to play SS, not FS. I would rather have two FS than can cover and play the run than a pure SS, who is typically not as good in coverage but better as a run defender. I think Moore and Decoud combination would give us alot of options when it comes to scheme based on the fact that Decoud has shown he can cover and provide run support, MOore has the potential to do both, so BVG would have quite a few options when it comes to schemes and coverages.

It has already been stated that the FS/SS are interchangeable. Decoud was better than solid in coverage he was good considering that he didnt let many passes get behind him and as ofter asked to cover the TE. Decoud has very good range. I think that MOore was drafted all along to play SS, not FS. I would rather have two FS than can cover and play the run than a pure SS, who is typically not as good in coverage but better as a run defender.

I'm saying if we are going to start Moore at SS, he'll have to bulk up a little like he did in his senior year and he looked as if he had regressed after putting on weight compared to his junior year. Obviously the injury could've attributed to this but watching Moore as a FS in his junior year and then moving him out of position seems just like wasting elite talent. I think he could be a much better FS than SS and should start on that side of the field instead of DeCoud. Moore clearly has more talent to cover the centre field than DeCoud and his instincts looks as if it results in him as having a sub-4.4 speed because he's so quick to diagnose and react.

Moore has had these nagging injuries in college which could be as a result of contact with the RB which he'd be asked to do more of if he was to play as a SS closer to the line of scrimmage. DeCoud hasn't had these sort've injuries and loves to come up in run support so I feel he'll be better suited there. Any cons of DeCoud moving to SS would be far outweighed by moving Moore to FS imo. As you said, we want our safeties to be interchangeable. DeCoud should be able to play the SS spot as should Moore. But the fact that Moore has had these little injuries means that we should probably keep him away from the Line of Scrimmage where more contact is likely to occur. And Moore being the better ballhawk and playmaker than DeCoud means he's ideal for the FS spot; covering the deep field.

I'm saying if we are going to start Moore at SS, he'll have to bulk up a little like he did in his senior year and he looked as if he had regressed after putting on weight compared to his junior year. Obviously the injury could've attributed to this but watching Moore as a FS in his junior year and then moving him out of position seems just like wasting elite talent. I think he could be a much better FS than SS and should start on that side of the field instead of DeCoud. Moore clearly has more talent to cover the centre field than DeCoud and his instincts looks as if it results in him as having a sub-4.4 speed because he's so quick to diagnose and react.

Moore has had these nagging injuries in college which could be as a result of contact with the RB which he'd be asked to do more of if he was to play as a SS closer to the line of scrimmage. DeCoud hasn't had these sort've injuries and loves to come up in run support so I feel he'll be better suited there. Any cons of DeCoud moving to SS would be far outweighed by moving Moore to FS imo. As you said, we want our safeties to be interchangeable. DeCoud should be able to play the SS spot as should Moore. But the fact that Moore has had these little injuries means that we should probably keep him away from the Line of Scrimmage where more contact is likely to occur. And Moore being the better ballhawk and playmaker than DeCoud means he's ideal for the FS spot; covering the deep field.

MOore was playing at 230 his Senior year and had nagging injuries but he played through, he was heavier than he needed to be IMO, the same thing happened to Weatherspoon his senior year, he added more weak and his play feel off from his Jr year. MOre current playing weight is 218, why would we want him to bulk up anymore? 218 is perfect size for a SS, and I wouldnt want MOOre to gain any more weight. Decoud is like 200lbs, and that is more like FS size than Moore. Coleman is like 205 and is currently playing SS and did fine in run support. Moore is currently bigger than both Decoud and Coleman, I truly hope that Moore doesnt gain any more weight and stays at 218-220.

Edited by Jaymadd

TD wants our safeties to be interchangable and thats what Decoud and Moore will be. While Coleman is very solid in run support he lacks good coverage skills when his head is turned from the play. He is a centerfield kind of player, but thats not what we need from him anymore, and thats wahat we saw last year.

Moore may not beat him out in TC even though I think he will but at some point during this season he will start. He fits what we need from our SS and is interchangable. I tihnk at the position we are at right now with our Defense we should let Moore start and take his lumps because we will be in the playoffs and I want Moore to have all the experience he can get before we we play in the playoffs.

William Moore is a talented player, his stocked dropped due to his injuries, but he should have been a first round pick. Our defense is struggling and has been for a few years, I think we start Moore at SS opposite Decoud, Coleman has proven himself, but he is a proven contributor, not a proven playmaker or a proven leader. My vote goes to Moore.

None of us has seen moore in a nfl game.......

Thats all I gotta say..

Moore comes out in his junior year, he'd be rated as highly as Berry was this year. Maybe even higher because he is one **** of a tackler.

Moore comes out in his junior year, he'd be rated as highly as Berry was this year. Maybe even higher because he is one **** of a tackler.

Yup. Totally understand that.

Dnt get me wrong i wish the best for moore

But him nor berry has played in a nfl game.

Im ready for good TC battles in the A. And may thee best man win (coleman or moore)

Edited by FalconPio