Another slap in the face for the Falcons and ex GM McKay

d#d#d#

The 2007 draft started off promising, and the promise ended with the Falcons 1st round pick. Fast forward to 2010, the 49'ers are signing their first round pick to a 5 year/50M contract whilst our first round pick is struggling to make the roster. The 49'ers drafted an explosive, playmaking presence in the middle with great intangibles whilst we drafted one of the biggest DE busts of all time...

McKay was a sloppy GM at best. He made some decent draft picks for us but also made some horrible picks as above. His free agent signings were abysmal to say the least...

Im so glad we have a GM now who dots his i's and crosses his t's...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how is that a slap in the face? this happens to every team not just the Falcons. some people just never live up to their high pick while others picked after them play lights out, we just happened to make a bad pick. i dont view the 49ers drafting a beast and liking him enough to give him more money a personal slap in the face to the Falcons.

What :blink: Who slapped Rich in the face? ;) You know the old adage - Hindsight is 20/20, Believe if MCkay knew how much of a "disappointment" that Jamaal has become, doncha think P. Willis or someone else might be donning a FALCON UNI?

Edited by vabchbirdlover

Busts happen to every GM. Rich McKay was a good GM who had some bad luck. It's not like people thought Jamaal Anderson was a reach in 2007, he got drafted right wbout where people thought he would go. He just turned out to be a lazy player.

The worst thing that McKay did was sign Vick to that contract, but that is bridge under the water now.

Busts happen to every GM. Rich McKay was a good GM who had some bad luck. It's not like people thought Jamaal Anderson was a reach in 2007, he got drafted right wbout where people thought he would go. He just turned out to be a lazy player.

The worst thing that McKay did was sign Vick to that contract, but that is bridge under the water now.

Or maybe water under the bridge :P

What :blink: Who slapped Rich in the face? ;) You know the old adage - Hindsight is 20/20, Believe if MCkay knew how much of a "disappointment" that Jamaal has become, doncha think P. Willis or someone else might be donning a FALCON UNI?

The 20/20 hindsight argument is horrible. The guy didnt even work Jamaal out, so i dont know if he ever had grasp on Andersons talent. We let Kerney go, reached for need and were burnt. Simple really... Keith Brooking was never a good MLB and please dont bring up pro bowls lol What a joke they are...

I disagree. I think McKay was a terrible GM... His free agent signings are some of the most horrible on record, he gave Vick that monstrosity of a contract way before he deserved it and couldnt hire a decent HC to save his life. The Petrino saga rightfully ended his time as GM here.

His draft history was so-so, as he was to eager to give up 1st round picks for players from other teams...

No doubt everyone is over the fact JA98 is a bust, me included. Its things like this that come back to slap you in face and remind you of it lol We could of drafted a guy who is most likely going to the HOF after his career(barring injury)instead we are actively looking for the guy we drafted replacement...

We had a big need at MLB in 2007 and i remember atleast 50% of the draft and free agency forum wanting him that year... What could of been if McKay had gone for BPA...

The 20/20 hindsight argument is horrible. The guy didnt even work Jamaal out, so i dont know if he ever had grasp on Andersons talent. We let Kerney go, reached for need and were burnt. Simple really... Keith Brooking was never a good MLB and please dont bring up pro bowls lol What a joke they are...

I disagree. I think McKay was a terrible GM... His free agent signings are some of the most horrible on record, he gave Vick that monstrosity of a contract way before he deserved it and couldnt hire a decent HC to save his life. The Petrino saga rightfully ended his time as GM here.

His draft history was so-so, as he was to eager to give up 1st round picks for players from other teams...

No doubt everyone is over the fact JA98 is a bust, me included. Its things like this that come back to slap you in face and remind you of it lol We could of drafted a guy who is most likely going to the HOF after his career(barring injury)instead we are actively looking for the guy we drafted replacement...

We had a big need at MLB in 2007 and i remember atleast 50% of the draft and free agency forum wanting him that year... What could of been if McKay had gone for BPA...

so is every other team that didn't resign their 1st round pick in 2007 getting slapped in the face too? this argument is a reach. yawn.

how is that a slap in the face? this happens to every team not just the Falcons. some people just never live up to their high pick while others picked after them play lights out, we just happened to make a bad pick. i dont view the 49ers drafting a beast and liking him enough to give him more money a personal slap in the face to the Falcons.

I'll have to agree with the thread starter.....you can talk all that NOW we know crap all you want. Patrick Willis was pretty much one of those players you KNEW was going to make some noise. McKay's logic was we have Keith Brooking in that spot so its not a need right now. WHAT? You pass up on a FAST MLB who can actually play because you have a pile jumping yellow jacket who thinks he can still play? It would be a hindsight is 20/20 deal had we picked a kid that had talent at #8 HOWEVER, we picked a project that people doubted. Man thats like the Lions or Bucs picking Jason Pierre Paul instead of making the wise selections that they did. I'll be an 80 year old man and EVERYTIME I hear Patrick Willis's name I will remember how we thought it would be cute to suit Ludacris up in a Falcons uniform.

I'll have to agree with the thread starter.....you can talk all that NOW we know crap all you want. Patrick Willis was pretty much one of those players you KNEW was going to make some noise. McKay's logic was we have Keith Brooking in that spot so its not a need right now. WHAT? You pass up on a FAST MLB who can actually play because you have a pile jumping yellow jacket who thinks he can still play? It would be a hindsight is 20/20 deal had we picked a kid that had talent at #8 HOWEVER, we picked a project that people doubted. Man thats like the Lions or Bucs picking Jason Pierre Paul instead of making the wise selections that they did. I'll be an 80 year old man and EVERYTIME I hear Patrick Willis's name I will remember how we thought it would be cute to suit Ludacris up in a Falcons uniform.

Pretty much nailed it... Its not about 20/20 blah, blah, blah. Its about we had an opportunity to draft a All Pro(could be HOF when said and done) and we muffed it. Willis epitomized a sure thing...

To the guy who thinks Brooking was a good MLB :lol:

Look at how many game changing plays he made :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Wow Keith brooking was never a good MLB??? Oh right cuz I forgot they select all the worst people to go to the pro bowl. And the super bowl consists of the two worsts teams. And winning is a bad thing. And I'm Osama bin Laden.

^^^^^^

and pile jumpers are the greatest LB's to have played the game... MLB's are pretty much useless when they are stopping the ball carrier 5 yrds past the LOS on every play :rolleyes:

Oh come on man. I'm not a fan of McKay either but you cannot show me one team that didn't draft a bust. You can't show me one team that didn't draft a loser ahead of a stud. These things happen.

Its not a 'hate' thread, just a reminder of every time you hear Willis name it should be as a Falcon. There were 2 sure things in that draft - Adrian Peterson and Patrick Willis... We went with a WR come TE come pretend DE lolz

Its not a 'hate' thread, just a reminder of every time you hear Willis name it should be as a Falcon. There were 2 sure things in that draft - Adrian Peterson and Patrick Willis... We went with a WR come TE come pretend DE lolz

I understand that, and I would have preferred either, or anyone other than Jamaal even back then. I remember being called all kinds of names on this board when I said it was a bad pick and I knew he would be trash. Still, let's be honest, since you're probably a long time fan like myself you've seen too many of those guys to count. TJ Duckett over Ed Reed, Jammi German over Hines Ward, etc. We may not have had the best history but at least we have TD now and he is doing a good job.

I'm trying to find a site with the stas, but during the draft, NFLN said that only 30% of first round picks are starters in year 4, and that 50% of all draft picks are out of the league in 3 years. A 1st round pick is hardly a guarantee of success.

With that said, the Falcons historically have done much worse than other teams with success in the first round. McKay is only a small piece of that tradition.

I'm trying to find a site with the stas, but during the draft, NFLN said that only 30% of first round picks are starters in year 4, and that 50% of all draft picks are out of the league in 3 years. A 1st round pick is hardly a guarantee of success.

With that said, the Falcons historically have done much worse than other teams with success in the first round. McKay is only a small piece of that tradition.

That pretty much sums it up. Was it a bad pick? Probably. Was it the worst pick ever or the last bad pick to ever be made? Certainly not. You win some; you lose some.