Corey Peters Ready For The NFL

atljbo

link

By Mary Jo Perino

Posted: May 4, 2010 11:20 PM

Corey Peters was one of the most dominating players for Kentucky last season, playing like an All-American the second half of the season.

That type of play was what got him recognized by NFL scouts, and wound up getting him drafted in the third round by the Atlanta Falcons.

"Me and my agent sat down and looked at teams and we were pretty much expecting the third round," said Peters.

"It's a lot more serious," Peters said of the business of football.

"You're taking food off somebody's table. I'm prepared for that, I got my mind set right for that and I'm just looking forward to keeping my head down and going to work."

Peters leaves this week for his first rookie minicamp. On Thursday he will head to Atlanta to begin his pro career. He feels like he's got a good shot at making an impact right away because of the position he plays.

"I think it's a really tough position to fill and I hate say it, but it's one of the most injury prone positions with so much going on in there. I think you can never really have enough good defensive tackles."

Peters also believes he'll be better suited to make that impact because of the conference he played in while in Lexington.

"There's always questions about how will these guys adjust to the speed of the game? I think playing in the SEC I'm as well prepared as you can prepare any rookie to move to the next level."

Being a third round pick, Peters would have to do something pretty stupid off the field to get cut. He says he can't think of it that way, or he may be the exception to the rule.

"I feel like I'm on the chopping block," said Peters.

"I think that's the best way to think about it and I think it will bring the best out in me. I definitely feel like I have to go in and prove myself and at least show why I was picked as a third round pick."

The work begins now for Peters, but the challenge is something he's been looking forward to all his life.

"I'm super excited about being a Falcon and I can't wait to see what the future holds."

This may sound random, but C Peters kinda reminds me of Matt Ryan coming into the league.

He shows a great amount of maturity in his comments, and comes across as humble but confident.

I think this driven-type attitude really embodies the the leadership features TD and Coach Smitty talk about.

It will be interesting to see how his role develops, glad to have him.

link

Former Wildcat Corey Peters is in a different boat. As a third-round draft pick of the Atlanta Falcons, he'll be expected to not only make the team, but contend for a spot in the rotation. Peters said he won't let the expectations affect him when he reports to mini-camp this weekend.

"I look at it as a blessing," he said. "All of my career I've wanted to be the guy the coaches are talking to. Being one of the guys who more is expected of is going to make me a target, and that's going to make me a better player. When we're running sprints, I want the coaches looking at me. I want them getting on me if I'm falling back."

Being a third round pick, Peters would have to do something pretty stupid off the field to get cut. He says he can't think of it that way, or he may be the exception to the rule.

"I think that's the best way to think about it and I think it will bring the best out in me. I definitely feel like I have to go in and prove myself and at least show why I was picked as a third round pick."

I've never heard a rookie express his work ethic quite like this kid did there. That statement shows that he's huge on self-motivation.

I feel we got a good one in Peters.

At first i thought why we draft this guy but after reading that im glad we got him. I like is work ethic and mentality. That is what i look for in a football player. I think he will be a great addition to our defense.

yup

Here is a video of him also saying that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wocecYw2USw

If being focused can translate to greatness on the field.. we just drafted one heck of a player :mellow:

I agree with Statick, I never really think I have seen such a well articulated and calm/collect rookie ever.. or at least since Matt Ryan. What was Corey's wonderlic score? He seems highly intelligent.

Love this stuff- the reason all of TD's draft picks are on NFL rosters is because he picks this type of person.

All his picks are intelligent, hard working, leaders, versatile. This team will be amazing in a few more years. We're watching a dynasty being built.

He was very productive on a bad team in a top conference, was a leader for that team, and has the work ethic and a personal drive to excel at the top level and takes nothing for granted. All those factors tell me he's going to have an exceptional rookie season. :)

3 wins in last 4 bowl games is not that bad

link

"You're taking food off somebody's table. I'm prepared for that, I got my mind set right for that and I'm just looking forward to keeping my head down and going to work."

"I think it's a really tough position to fill and I hate say it, but it's one of the most injury prone positions with so much going on in there. I think you can never really have enough good defensive tackles."

I love these quotes. Dude's gonna bust *** to be a success.

He's also dead right- you can never have enough good defensive tackles.

If being focused can translate to greatness on the field.. we just drafted one heck of a player :mellow:

I agree with Statick, I never really think I have seen such a well articulated and calm/collect rookie ever.. or at least since Matt Ryan. What was Corey's wonderlic score? He seems highly intelligent.

His wonderlic score was one of the highest at the combine, but more importantly, he was a 4.0 student recieving a degree in Psychology. He even states he uses that education to break down apponenets mentality and picks out their weaknesses then exploits them. He will be a good football player on the team for a long time. As he said, he will not give any team a reason to cut him until he is ready to retire.