Calipari reportedly interested in Bulls job

Unknøwn

John Calipari Tweeted on Tuesday that he's "very happy at Kentucky" in an obvious response to a Yahoo! Sports report suggesting he would "be willing to listen to a pitch" from the Chicago Bulls about the franchise's head coaching vacancy.

"Throughout my career I've been mentioned for other jobs; now that I'm here you won't hear about other colleges because I've got the best job," Calipari said. "Every year you will hear my name mentioned for NBA jobs because I coached in the league before. I'm very happy at Kentucky."

Multiple sources close to Calipari have repeatedly told CBSSports.com that Calipari's goal is to someday coach LeBron James, and one source has even said Calipari would "absolutely leave Kentucky, 100 percent, tomorrow" if that opportunity presented itself. Clearly, there's no way to know at this moment where James will play next season or whether he'll need a new coach because he'll become a free agent this summer. But nobody close to Calipari who has spoken with CBSSports.com has ever disputed or downplayed Calipari's interest in returning to the NBA to coach James, whom Calipari has often referred to as his "friend."

Coaching Derrick Rose with the Bulls might be the next best option.

That's why the report makes sense -- though it's unclear if the Bulls are interested in Calipari.

Either way, Calipari is half-right with his Tweet. This will indeed happen every year, but it won't happen because he "coached in the league before." The reason this will happen every year is because he does nothing to squash the rumors, and he has a history of publicly stating his affection for his current job while maneuvering to try to get another job. Most recently, he did it at Memphis.

"I love Memphis," Calipari said in March 2009. "I want to be here."

Calipari left Memphis for Kentucky less than a week after delivering that quote.

UK athletic director Mitch Barnhart released a statement late Tuesday designed to calm things. It read: "I'm extremely proud of what Coach Calipari has done in just one year as the leader of our men's basketball program. Cal has brought Kentucky men's basketball back to its rightful place of national prominence and I'm excited about our future. We have begun initial discussions on restructuring his contract so that he's the coach at Kentucky until he retires."

The problem with that statement is that there's no contract that can ensure Calipari retires at UK.

He doesn't operate like that.

Truth is, Calipari will be at UK for the same amount of time he was at Memphis, and it has nothing to do with years. He stayed at Memphis until he was offered a better job, and that's also how long he'll stay at Kentucky, until the day he's offered a better job. The good news for UK fans, of course, is that there aren't many better jobs than Kentucky, and Calipari would never leave for another college job. But, as I wrote back in January, coaching LeBron is absolutely a better job, and coaching Rose, Joakim Noah and some top-shelf free agent might be a better job, too.

Will Calipari ever have either opportunity?

Who knows?

But a restructured contract won't ensure he retires at Kentucky.

Of that, I'm certain.

Link

I did love this comment:

“We have begun initial discussions on restructuring his contract so that he’s the coach at Kentucky until he retires,” Barnhart said in the statement.

Yep so the highest paid coach is now getting a restructure that will keep him the highest paid coach and allow him to retire at kentucky.. So he couldn't just keep coaching there until he retires. Sounds like a publicity stunt to get even more attention and feed that big caliparai ego unless Calipari does want to go the nba and coach rose. Just having some fun wta. :P

Normally I would think theres no way Cal leaves for the NBA but you have to figure he has some interest in reuniting with Rose

Plus the Chicago job is, on balance, a good job. It's always been a big basketball town, they should have some money to spend in free agency and they have some young players to build around, chiefly Rose.

Normally I would think theres no way Cal leaves for the NBA but you have to figure he has some interest in reuniting with Rose

He's already told Andy Katz he has no interest in the job... As far as the Rose thing, pretty soon Cal is going to have a former player on almost every team at the rate things are going so speculation will keep running rampant over the next few years. There's a reason his name always comes up whenever there's an opening, and it will continue happening each and every year. It's something UK fans just need to get used to, and we just need to enjoy him while he's here, however long that may be.

Plus the Chicago job is, on balance, a good job. It's always been a big basketball town, they should have some money to spend in free agency and they have some young players to build around, chiefly Rose.

yea that would be a nice job to get with the bulls, but no way after just 1 year would he leave.. the ad comment it put in a post above.. restructuring.. bingo. :lol:

He's already told Andy Katz he has no interest in the job... As far as the Rose thing, pretty soon Cal is going to have a former player on almost every team at the rate things are going so speculation will keep running rampant over the next few years. There's a reason his name always comes up whenever there's an opening, and it will continue happening each and every year. It's something UK fans just need to get used to, and we just need to enjoy him while he's here, however long that may be.

Didn't he tell Katz the same thing last year about leaving Memphis?

I saw a SUV yesterday with two UK bumper stickers, a UK license plate holder, and a vanity tag "CALIPRI". I bet that cat would be salty as **** if Cal leaves.

Didn't he tell Katz the same thing last year about leaving Memphis?

Probably. This is gonna happen every single offseason while he's here, so I'm not gonna get all worried everytime his name is mentioned in connection with another job. If he goes, he goes; if he stays, he stays.

I saw a SUV yesterday with two UK bumper stickers, a UK license plate holder, and a vanity tag "CALIPRI". I bet that cat would be salty as **** if Cal leaves.

That guy probably worries himself everytime his name is mentioned about another job... :D What state was he in?

That guy probably worries himself everytime his name is mentioned about another job... :D What state was he in?

He was in Columbus, Ohio.

Cal is an excellent coach and you know from my previous posts that even though I bleed Carolina Blue (in basketball anyway) I have a lot of respect for the Kentucky program. I agree that his name will pop up for other jobs continually. At least now, the only place he will likely head is the NBA and if so, to only a select few franchises. The Bulls and Lakers (because of their history), Nets and Knicks (because of NYC's legendary appeal) would seem to be the only franchises that I can see interesting him.

Cal's latest tweet:

#UKCoachCalipari

I've said many times that I've got the best job in the country. Still the speculation runs wild and I can't stop that...

I want to address this with the Big Blue Nation one last time, I will be coaching at Kentucky next year. Now let's finish what we started! half a minute ago via TweetDeck

And I know all about Nick Saban not going to Alabama, etc... But this is the definitive statement alot of UK fans have been looking for. This statement, paired with Kenny Payne most likely uprooting himself and moving 3/4 of the way across the country along with our AD stepping away from the day-to-day basketball operations and having a guy Cal gets along with better take over leads me to believe that he'll be here next year.

And next offseason, we'll go through the speculation once again... :D

Cal's latest tweet:

And I know all about Nick Saban not going to Alabama, etc... But this is the definitive statement alot of UK fans have been looking for. This statement, paired with Kenny Payne most likely uprooting himself and moving 3/4 of the way across the country along with our AD stepping away from the day-to-day basketball operations and having a guy Cal gets along with better take over leads me to believe that he'll be here next year.

And next offseason, we'll go through the speculation once again... :D

There is really no such thing as a definitive statement in the coaching world when lots of $$$$ starts getting thrown around.

There is really no such thing as a definitive statement in the coaching world when lots of $$$$ starts getting thrown around.

100% correct.. no one should believe calipari here.. he wasn't going to leave memphis either.

some classics here:

Calipari, who just completed his ninth season with the Tigers, told a group of reporters at Wilson Air Center today that Memphis is “where I want to coach.”

“I want to be here,” Calipari said today. “This is where I want to coach, and my name will be tied to every job that’s open, and our fans I think have gotten used to it.”

Calipari said he has "no interest in leaving Memphis"

100% correct.. no one should believe calipari here.. he wasn't going to leave memphis either.

some classics here:

Calipari, who just completed his ninth season with the Tigers, told a group of reporters at Wilson Air Center today that Memphis is “where I want to coach.”

“I want to be here,” Calipari said today. “This is where I want to coach, and my name will be tied to every job that’s open, and our fans I think have gotten used to it.”

Calipari said he has "no interest in leaving Memphis"

Exactly. Show me where Calipari said "I will be the coach at Memphis next year." None of those are definitive statements, just like it wasn't when he said he was "very happy at Kentucky" last week. Thanks for proving my point.