Weatherspoon is NOT going to be the vocal leader of our defense!

pzummo

I keep reading everywhere how Weatherspoon is a vocal leader and he's going to be the vocal leader of this defense. Sorry to break it to everybody who have these high high hopes, but Weatherspoon will not take over that job. Lofton has proven himself to be the man in the middle of our defense and he will continue to thrive in that responsibility. Lofton is the one that will have the dot on his helmet, the one that will be getting people into position to make plays.

All of that being said, I'd expect Weatherspoon to thrive in our defense. BUT, he can't challenge Lofton for that leader role. I'm sure Weatherspoon will one day bark at folks when they miss assignments and help keep the overall D in line. I also think Weatherspoon will be a playmaker for our defense, generating more sacks, int's, and FF's than our other LBers. This is mainly because he's very quick and plays an outside LBer position where we can get creative, and he's already good in coverage. In contrast, Lofton is in the middle and has two primary responsibilities, one is stuffing the run, and two is making sure everybody else on the defense is aligned properly against the offense we are seeing.

I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade, I just want everybody keeping things in perspective. Weatherspoon was not drafted to be the leader of our defense. He was drafted to be an important role player in it, a role player that can make plays when put in the right situations.

Do you even watch Lofton on the field?

He is a "lead by example" with his play doing the talking. he is a very quiet overall individual. Yes, He will still have the green sticker on his helmet helmet and still call the plays (Mostly all MLBs in the NFL do this by default), But he will NOT be the vocal leader... Ever. Not in the locker room or on the field.

Weatherspoon will be the guy pumping up the defense, and being the VOCAL leader. Lofton will be the Leader of the Defense.

Do you even watch Lofton on the field?

He is a "lead by example" with his play doing the talking. he is a very quiet overall individual. Yes, He will still have the green sticker on his helmet helmet and still call the plays (Mostly all MLBs in the NFL do this by default), But he will NOT be the vocal leader... Ever. Not in the locker room or on the field.

Weatherspoon will be the guy pumping up the defense, and being the VOCAL leader. Lofton will be the Leader of the Defense.

sounds like joe johnson??

I keep reading everywhere how Weatherspoon is a vocal leader and he's going to be the vocal leader of this defense. Sorry to break it to everybody who have these high high hopes, but Weatherspoon will not take over that job. Lofton has proven himself to be the man in the middle of our defense and he will continue to thrive in that responsibility. Lofton is the one that will have the dot on his helmet, the one that will be getting people into position to make plays.

All of that being said, I'd expect Weatherspoon to thrive in our defense. BUT, he can't challenge Lofton for that leader role. I'm sure Weatherspoon will one day bark at folks when they miss assignments and help keep the overall D in line. I also think Weatherspoon will be a playmaker for our defense, generating more sacks, int's, and FF's than our other LBers. This is mainly because he's very quick and plays an outside LBer position where we can get creative, and he's already good in coverage. In contrast, Lofton is in the middle and has two primary responsibilities, one is stuffing the run, and two is making sure everybody else on the defense is aligned properly against the offense we are seeing.

I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade, I just want everybody keeping things in perspective. Weatherspoon was not drafted to be the leader of our defense. He was drafted to be an important role player in it, a role player that can make plays when put in the right situations.

I believe that last year, both Peterson and Lofton were vocal and were getting after people, Peterson was more of a talker that kept people on their toes all game and lofton only when necessary. I do believe that once Weatherspoon gains the respect of his teammates by his play on the field, I do believe that both him and Lofton will be the leaders on this defense, but in different manners, Spoon will be the talker, Lofton will be the quiet one that gets in your face when you mess up, just like he did last year to a couple of players.

I believe that last year, both Peterson and Lofton were vocal and were getting after people, Peterson was more of a talker that kept people on their toes all game and lofton only when necessary. I do believe that once Weatherspoon gains the respect of his teammates by his play on the field, I do believe that both him and Lofton will be the leaders on this defense, but in different manners, Spoon will be the talker, Lofton will be the quiet one that gets in your face when you mess up, just like he did last year to a couple of players.

what jaymadd said^^^

Not this season but maybe in 2011 or 2012 you can be sure Spoon will be the mouthpiece of this defense. I doubt he will do it his rookie year just because rookies are to be seen and not heard in the league, but I doubt we would have drafted him if our D didn't need a vocal leader.

man if a guys got that kind of leadership quality, its going to show

hes not going to suppress it, there can be more than one leader on the field

agreed.....

pzummo, here is the deal. The MLB is almost by default the leader of the defense since he is responsible for making a lot of the calls up front, setting the front 7, etc., etc. Lofton will always be a leader of this defense - this is understood by most.

Sean Weatherspoon is a rookie now - and rookies are not initially leaders of anything unless they start at MLB(defense) or QB(offense) - in which case they are leaders by default.

Weatherspoon will have to "earn" a leadership position and he most likely will. 'Spoon's talent and work ethic applied in a Falcons uniform will lead to leadership opportunities. 'Spoon's personality and outspokeness will only further enhance his leadership potential.

I think you(pzummo) are taking umbrage with what you perceive as board members "anointing" Weatherspoon the leader - well, I don't think most of us are anointing 'Spoon a leader from Day#1 - 'Spoon will have to earn it - but he will earn it most likely.......just relax and drink a margarita my man! ;)B):rolleyes:

Edited by g-dawg

Vocal (emotional) leaders are wired that way from birth not bestowed upon by their role on the team. Just like Julius Peppers wasn't that type of player Lofton isn't either. You can't force these guys to step out of their comfort zone and act a certain way. If/When Weatherspoon assumes the vocal leadership role, it doesn't mean Lofton's leadership will diminish.

Weatherspoon is a vocal fiery guy. If he is what they advertise, he's going to bring a lot of passoion and fire on the field. Like TD says, these type of guys sets the tone for the personality of the defense. If the Falcons want a defense that is nasty and intimidating, they need these type of guys on the field. I do agree Weatherspoon probably wouldn't assume the role as a rookie. He has to earn his way by backing it up on the field first.

Spoon is the guy that everyone likes being around and makes them want to play at the best of their abilitie because of how he talks and whatnot. Lofton is the guy that makes people wanna play better because he is a beast and when they see if kicking the *** he does, it makes them wanna lay a beat down too. Both will be leaders, just different types.

Edited by McSpanker

Lofton will call the plays, but Spoon is going to be the emotional leader, like Lawyer Milloy was a few years ago, like Peterson and Coleman are now. Spoon won't do it right away, he's gotta come in and earn that right first.

I completely agree. When they say he is going to be the vocal leader, I don't think they mean he is going to run the defense and tell people where they need to be. I just think they mean that he is going to provide that spark and tenacity for the team with the emotion he plays with and how he expresses his emotions vocally.

It's not gonna be Spoon challenging Lofton for supremacy but more so, two leaders that lead in two different ways working together to make this team a much improved defense.

i wish that i could see into the future as well...