Gil Brandt nfl.com ATL comments

Mario, Atlanta12:52 PM ET

The Falcons didn't address the pass rush problems at DE. Are there any FA's that can come in and help immediately?

Gil Brandt, NFL.com

Hi Mario. Not off the top of my head. I think the Falcons have been criticized for drafting DT Corey Peters, but I think he will give them an inside presence. Another player who will help is Peria Jerry, who was hurt all last season. It's going to be Abraham and Biermann who will be rushing the passer.

full chat transcript

http://chat.nfl.com/front/archived_chat/895

why don't we give Biermann and Sidbury a chance?

Sid will get his chances and should show some nice improvement with 1 season/ 2 TC's under his belt. I just dont think we can give up on Abe so soon. Like TD, I think he still got some juice left.

i think it is completely amazing that all around the NFL everyone is writing off our current DE's. Abraham had a rough last year, but suffered from injuries on the interior line and a VERY young secondary. With the addition of D Rob, C. Owens coming into his own this year and a healthy rotation on the interior D. line and Spoon coming in right away and making an impact. Sid JA55 and Kroy may have a huge year. Guys this could be the making of a very special group.....

We have very good rotation at DE with Abe, beerman, Sid, and Chauncey. As been mentioned hundreds of times, Abe was high on the list of pressures last year, but low on sacks. That is due to poor coverage. We will have better coverage, which means Abe will have more sacks. Beerman will have more sacks. We are fine at DE, cmon people! :P We had a top ten run defense, we will get more pressure, and our secondary has got better. Im no rocket surgeon but that seems like a good defense to me.

Edited by blackredfellow

why don't we give Biermann and Sidbury a chance?

I'm still amazed that some wanted to draft a DE as late as the fifth round, thinking that there was somebody after round two that was likely going to be better than either of these two guys this season. :unsure:

I especially liked the reply to CarlD regarding Maurkice Pouncey. He has a twin brother who plays Oline and expects to go 1st round? Hmm, I wonder how strong of a look the birds take and if he will be on the radar?

Also, As for Beerman being a situational pass rusher. This is his third year and his progress between the 1 and 2 years was exceptional for a "light" DE. Given that he is doing the MMAthletic training this year, he will become the full time player the birds are looking for opposite JA55. ElSid, will spell JA55 through the season to make sure he stays fresh and uninjured. This time will allow ElSid to get better. He has size, quickness and good hands to play the RDE roll. He will be another greatly improved player in his 2nd season. Remain optimistic folks, we are only 3 days from the first mini-camp! I wish I lived back in GA again. I'd use a vacation day to be there!

Edited by NorCal Falcon Fan

I'm still amazed that some wanted to draft a DE as late as the fifth round, thinking that there was somebody after round two that was likely going to be better than either of these two guys this season. :unsure:

I wanted one early, or not at all. I'm sure I'll feel the same way next year- probably more so. It'll be a year closer to Abe's retirement and I'd expect Anderson to be Audi5000 (that's right, I'm bringing that back). It's expected to be a very good DE draft. Things could change of course, but I still see DE as a need despite the development of our young guys. I think we're fine this year, provided we get the push up the middle we were missing last year.