Sniper kills Qaeda-from 1½ mi. away

Statick

Sniper kills Qaeda-from 1½ mi. away

By LUKAS I. ALPERT

Last Updated: 7:13 AM, May 2, 2010

Posted: 4:19 AM, May 2, 2010

It was silent but deadly.

A British sniper set a world sharpshooting record by taking out two Taliban soldiers in Afghanistan from more than a mile and a half away -- a distance so great, experts say the terrorists wouldn't have even heard the shots.

Craig Harrison killed the two insurgents from an astounding distance of 8,120 feet -- or 1.54 miles -- in Helmand Province last November firing an Accuracy International L11583 long-range rifle.

"The first round hit a machine-gunner in the stomach and killed him outright," said Harrison, a corporal of horse in the British Army's Household Cavalry, the equivalent of a sergeant in the American military.

"The second insurgent grabbed the weapon and turned as my second shot hit him in the side. He went down, too," Harrison told the Sunday Times of London.

The shots -- measured via GPS -- surpassed the previous record held by Canadian Army Cpl. Rob Furlong, who killed an al Qaeda gunman from 7,972 feet in 2002.

Harrison's shots were roughly equal to the distance between the Statue of Liberty and Battery Park.

Experts called Harrison's sharp shooting as perfect as it gets.

"When you are shooting that far, if you miss by a hair, you miss by a mile," said John Plaster, a retired US Army sharp-shooting instructor and author of "The Ultimate Sniper." "That is about as precise as any marksmen on the planet could shoot."

He said Harrison's targets likely never knew what was coming.

"At a distance like that they cannot even see anyone and they would not even hear the muzzle report," Plaster said.

Harrison, who fired the bullets while his colleagues were under fire, said perfect weather helped him nail the perfect shot.

"[There was] no wind, mild weather, clear visibility," he said.

Harrison learned of his record nine days ago, when he returned to England. In the weeks after his record shot, he suffered a minor gunshot wound and broke his arms when his vehicle hit a roadside bomb.

Makes you wonder if Guiness Book has one of their people inbedded with the troops. :D

L11583?

Not familiar with that weapon. I wonder if the reporter was supposed to write L115A3 instead of 83, because I have never heard of any sniper rifle that goes by that name. Of course, then the problem is that a .338 round isn't going to travel that far under any circumstance I can think of. At that range, it would probably have to be some sort of .50 caliber round from an anti-material rifle to make that reach. I'm not expert on ballistics though, so maybe the circumstances were just so good that it doubled the effective range of the round.

Either way, fantastic shot. Actually, it's an absolutely ridiculous shot. I don't think I can begin to describe just how precise and difficult it is to pull something like that off, especially when it comes to having the conditions for the shot match up that well. You're probably about as likely to jump off a 20 story building, hit the concrete, and live if you want to compare it to something.

Not to give props to such savagery...but I must say this can be expected, and I would expect nothing less from the majesty's armed forces.

With the legacy left by Churchill they are probably pound for pound the most skilled military unit on this earth.

Edited by Julian St.Clor

Guest Regular Guy

Not to give props to such savagery...but I must say this can be expected, and I would expect nothing less from the majesty's armed forces.

With the legacy left by Churchill they are probably pound for pound the most skilled military unite on this earth.

1) You're a tool.

2) What is a unite, oh you mean unit?

3) Is there a way to hire one of these guys to take out my mother-in-law? :P

Whats crazy to me is that he did it with a bolt action rifle... meaning he had to take his sights off to load another round in then put it on target a second time from a mile and a half away in time to take out the second guy. Dude lined up a mile and a half shot that quickly... crazy.

Whats crazy to me is that he did it with a bolt action rifle... meaning he had to take his sights off to load another round in then put it on target a second time from a mile and a half away in time to take out the second guy. Dude lined up a mile and a half shot that quickly... crazy.

not to mention at that range an 18" torso is 0.67 MOA!!!!

L11583?

Not familiar with that weapon. I wonder if the reporter was supposed to write L115A3 instead of 83, because I have never heard of any sniper rifle that goes by that name. Of course, then the problem is that a .338 round isn't going to travel that far under any circumstance I can think of. At that range, it would probably have to be some sort of .50 caliber round from an anti-material rifle to make that reach. I'm not expert on ballistics though, so maybe the circumstances were just so good that it doubled the effective range of the round.

Either way, fantastic shot. Actually, it's an absolutely ridiculous shot. I don't think I can begin to describe just how precise and difficult it is to pull something like that off, especially when it comes to having the conditions for the shot match up that well. You're probably about as likely to jump off a 20 story building, hit the concrete, and live if you want to compare it to something.

You are correct about the model number, it was a L115A3. But it's not a standard .338 Win Mag, it's a .338 Lapua, which has more than enough power to do any sniper job. In fact the U.S. Military is going to be replacing the .50 BMG with the .338 Lapua, because it can do almost the same thing but much much cheaper.

edit: here is a link for a UK article with the correct sniper model # http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/afghanistan/article7113916.ece

Edited by Lord Dark Helmet